• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vladifan

Kirk Maltby

Rate this topic

Why would Maltby want to end his career in GR?

He'd be better off retiring than ending it like that.

I don't think he has NHL level talent anymore, but he seems to still want to lace them up... with injuries a certainty next season he would be a stop gap for any fourth liners going down. I think he knows hes going to spend most of his time in the AHL and maybe thats what he wants. It never hurts to have a vet to mentor the young guns, hes been to the big show 5 times and has 4 rings show for it.

After all he did score 50 goals in juniors. Right? Mickey?

That's right, as a 19 year old, he had 50 goals and 91pts. Interestingly enough, that very same year in that very same league, Darren McCarty, also 19 years old, had 55 goals and 127pts.

Other notables from that same year:

- Martin Gendron, 17 years old, 71 goals, 137pts - 30 career NHL games played

- Robert Guillet, 19 years old, 56 goals, 118pts - never played in the NHL

- Todd Simon, 19 years old, 53 goals, 146pts - 15 career NHL games played

- Jarrett Reid, 18 years old, 53 goals, 93pts - never played in the NHL

- Ralph Intranuovo, 17 years old, 50 goals, 113pts - 22 career NHL games played

We could do that with a 1-way contract too. A 2-way contract only means that a player gets paid different salaries in the NHL and AHL. Maltby will have to clear waivers to be assigned to GR, and if they recall him during the season, he'll be subject to re-entry waivers as well.

There is always a lot of debate over 1 and 2 way deals. Yes, a 2 way deal means that a players gets paid an NHL salary while with the NHL club and an AHL salary with the AHL club. However, on top of that if a player who is out of minor league options is on a 1 way deal he must go through waivers each and every time he is sent down and re-entry waivers each and every time he is called up. Players on 2 way deals only need to clear waivers *once* in the season and then can be called up and sent down without the possibility of being claimed through waiver.

The way it would work for the Wings and Maltby is after camp the Wings would send Maltby down when every other teams roster is all but set and the chances of anyone picking him up are all but zero. He'd clear waivers and then the Wigns would be free to make use of him whenever they'd want.

There is always a lot of debate over 1 and 2 way deals. Yes, a 2 way deal means that a players gets paid an NHL salary while with the NHL club and an AHL salary with the AHL club. However, on top of that if a player who is out of minor league options is on a 1 way deal he must go through waivers each and every time he is sent down and re-entry waivers each and every time he is called up. Players on 2 way deals only need to clear waivers *once* in the season and then can be called up and sent down without the possibility of being claimed through waiver.

The way it would work for the Wings and Maltby is after camp the Wings would send Maltby down when every other teams roster is all but set and the chances of anyone picking him up are all but zero. He'd clear waivers and then the Wigns would be free to make use of him whenever they'd want.

Mostly correct. It is not once a season. It is every 30 days...there is a games played requirement too but I don't know that.

That is why McCarty was waived every month a couple years ago.

Edited by russianswede919293

I'm just fine with this, as long as he's not taking up an active roster spot... when it comes to injuries, in 4th line minutes, I'd gladly take the experience Maltby brings to the table...

I'm pretty convinced that if anyone claims him on waivers, should Detroit need to waive him, that he will retire as opposed to reporting...