• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

Just a few weeks til kickoff. Curious to hear from everyone on how they think their team will stack up this year.

For me, MSU has a big year ahead of them. The schedule is in Spartans favor and realistically, there is no reason why this team cant get 8-9 wins. No OSU on schedule. Toughest road games are at Michigan, at Penn State. Greg Jones is one of the best defensive players in the country.

This team could either exceed expectations or fall flat on their face like last year. Either way, Dantonio's team is here and its all on the coach now.

#2 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Either way, Dantonio's team is here and its all on the coach now.

Which is part of the reason I don't see 8-9 wins on Sparty's schedule. Road games at Michigan, at Penn State, at Iowa. Most of the tough ones on the road, most of the easy ones at home....I don't think it's a favorable schedule except for the absences of Ohio State and Central. To get to nine you'll have to beat two of Wisky, U-M, PSU, Iowa, or Brian Kelly's Notre Dame, and avoid the annual faceplant.

On the plus side, Dantonio's figured out that Keith Nichol isn't a good quarterback, so that's a step in the right direction. Nichol lost you a game or two last year.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#3 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

So incredibly stoked for the Brian Kelly Era.

This one feels very right.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#4 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Which is part of the reason I don't see 8-9 wins on Sparty's schedule. Road games at Michigan, at Penn State, at Iowa. Most of the tough ones on the road, most of the easy ones at home....I don't think it's a favorable schedule except for the absences of Ohio State and Central. To get to nine you'll have to beat two of Wisky, U-M, PSU, Iowa, or Brian Kelly's Notre Dame, and avoid the annual faceplant.

Posted Image

The Spartans have a lot of things going for them. The QB controversy that costs us some games last year is over. The WR, TE and LB groups are as good as maybe any group in the conference. There's no breakout star at RB but everyone is talented and will contribute. The biggest question is the secondary that got rocked on a regular basis last year. They have to improve.

MSU also should a favorable schedule, with a Michigan-like 8 home games. No OSU. Penn State has a lot of new players and no one is quite sure what they'll be like. Iowa on the road and Wisky at home won't be easy. Otherwise there isn't anyone on the schedule the Spartans shouldn't beat. Doesn't always mean they will, but Dantonio has done a good job of getting rid of the Same Old Spartans mentality. This isn't a make or break year for him, but another repeat of last year and people will start to wonder if he really is the right guy.

Here's how I see the schedule.

Western W
Florida Atlantic W
Notre Dame W Welcome to the big time, Kelly. MSU wins in a shootout, exorcising the ghosts of 2006
Northern Colorado W
Wisconsin L John Clay runs all over MSU
@ Michigan W Dickrod's seat is so warm his pants are on fire
Illinois W
@ Northwestern L Same Old Spartans rears it's ugly head
@ Iowa L
Minnesota W
Purdue W
@ Penn State L

8-4 should get the Spartans back to a NYD bowl game.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#5 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Posted Image

The Spartans have a lot of things going for them. The QB controversy that costs us some games last year is over. The WR, TE and LB groups are as good as maybe any group in the conference. There's no breakout star at RB but everyone is talented and will contribute. The biggest question is the secondary that got rocked on a regular basis last year. They have to improve.

MSU also should a favorable schedule, with a Michigan-like 8 home games. No OSU. Penn State has a lot of new players and no one is quite sure what they'll be like. Iowa on the road and Wisky at home won't be easy. Otherwise there isn't anyone on the schedule the Spartans shouldn't beat. Doesn't always mean they will, but Dantonio has done a good job of getting rid of the Same Old Spartans mentality. This isn't a make or break year for him, but another repeat of last year and people will start to wonder if he really is the right guy.

Here's how I see the schedule.

Western W
Florida Atlantic W
Notre Dame W Welcome to the big time, Kelly. MSU wins in a shootout, exorcising the ghosts of 2006
Northern Colorado W
Wisconsin L John Clay runs all over MSU
@ Michigan W Dickrod's seat is so warm his pants are on fire
Illinois W
@ Northwestern L Same Old Spartans rears it's ugly head
@ Iowa L
Minnesota W
Purdue W
@ Penn State L

8-4 should get the Spartans back to a NYD bowl game.

Flip the Michigan game, naturally, and you've got it....except that I really don't know what to make of Notre Dame this year and I have a hard time picking either State's or U-M's game against them.

I'll hold off on Michigan predictions til I see what the defense looks like against UConn. Simply having the same DC for two years in a row should be a huge step in the right direction, but Lord, the secondary.

As for UVA, it's never too early to break out the "wait til next year" mantras.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#6 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Toledo's schedule is sadly brutal.

Arizona- L
at Ohio- W
at WMU- tossup
at Purdue- L
Wyoming- W
at Boise State- L
Kent State- W
Ball State- W
at EMU- W
at NIU- tossup
BGSU- W
at CMU- L

I can see anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 being reasonable, so at least better than last year's 5-7. Still looking for the glory days of '01 and '04, though.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#7 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Hail.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#8 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

Toledo's schedule is sadly brutal.

I can see anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 being reasonable, so at least better than last year's 5-7. Still looking for the glory days of '01 and '04, though.

I miss the Rockets being good. Used to go to the Glass Bowl a lot growing up.

I'm liking my Buckeyes this year. Good feeling about this season. We'll see if Pryor has really made that leap forward we all hope he has. A lot of returning starters and a workable schedule that sees our toughest games being Miami(@ home), at Iowa, and at Wisconsin (at night, as friggin always).

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#9 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Fair to say UM may have a bit of a problem in the secondary?

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

<_<

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#11 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Woolfolk out for the season, Turner leaving, Warren left early for the NFL, Dorsey didn't fudge his SAT scores, and Cissoko being in jail...is there anyone left who isn't a freshman or a walk-on?

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#12 DatsyukRules

DatsyukRules

# 13

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

deleted.

Edited by DatsyukRules, 19 August 2010 - 01:19 PM.

user posted image

#13 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Woolfolk out for the season, Turner leaving, Warren left early for the NFL, Dorsey didn't fudge his SAT scores, and Cissoko being in jail...is there anyone left who isn't a freshman or a walk-on?

Tater Tot will lead them to glory :lol:

What's everyone's take on how the Big 10 conferences should be set up?

#14 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

Big 10 Network previews MIchigan football

#15 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

I've heard good arguments for both sides as far as Michigan and Ohio State being in the same or separate divisions. I think if they are put together, then Penn State should be in the opposite division. You can't have the three top teams over the last 20 years in the same division or you end up like the Big 12. The Big 12 North was a joke. The bigger question to me is, do I want to play Michigan twice a year (assuming they get their s*** together fairly soon)? I think you want your two biggest brands to faceoff for the Championship, so I'm betting they'll be in different divisions.

Division 1
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Indiana
Northwestern
Illinois

Division 2
Michigan
Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Minnesota

I'm not sure those divisions are perfect but it's something. I might move Iowa or Wisconin to the other division.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings, 20 August 2010 - 11:46 AM.

#16 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

I agree with the seperate division for UM/OSU. Unfortunately, Michigan is going to turn it around at some point. Although, seperate divisions would almost mean it wouldn't be the last game of the season then no? I doubt either team would want to play two straight weekends with the conference championship on the line assuming Nebraska, Penn State, etc. aren't better that given year.

#17 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

I agree with the seperate division for UM/OSU. Unfortunately, Michigan is going to turn it around at some point. Although, seperate divisions would almost mean it wouldn't be the last game of the season then no? I doubt either team would want to play two straight weekends with the conference championship on the line assuming Nebraska, Penn State, etc. aren't better that given year.

Yeah, The Game would definitely be moved and there's been a lot of discussion about that down here already. We hate to give up on the tradition part of it, late November in the cold and the whole season building to that one game, but college football is changing and you've got to change with the times.

Speaking of which, Ohio State will be wearing some fancy Nike bulls*** again against Michigan.

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

This is Rich Rod's last chance.

#19 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

This is Rich Rod's last chance.

Hopefully 6-6 with a trip to the Pizza Pizza Bowl will be enough to keep DickRod's job. I'd hate to see him go.

#20 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Whatever keeps Michigan and Ohio State playing on the last weekend of the season. Unfortunately I think the TV people are going to screw that up because they're afraid of a rematch. The ACC already proved what a disaster it is to base your new setup entirely on the assumption that two specific teams will face off in the championship game: they put the ACCCG in Florida for years hoping Miami and FSU would be there and their chickens came home to roost when Boston College kept crashing the party and not bringing anyone with them.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users