• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2010 College Football Season Thread

Rate this topic

Just a few weeks til kickoff. Curious to hear from everyone on how they think their team will stack up this year.

For me, MSU has a big year ahead of them. The schedule is in Spartans favor and realistically, there is no reason why this team cant get 8-9 wins. No OSU on schedule. Toughest road games are at Michigan, at Penn State. Greg Jones is one of the best defensive players in the country.

This team could either exceed expectations or fall flat on their face like last year. Either way, Dantonio's team is here and its all on the coach now.

Either way, Dantonio's team is here and its all on the coach now.

Which is part of the reason I don't see 8-9 wins on Sparty's schedule. Road games at Michigan, at Penn State, at Iowa. Most of the tough ones on the road, most of the easy ones at home....I don't think it's a favorable schedule except for the absences of Ohio State and Central. To get to nine you'll have to beat two of Wisky, U-M, PSU, Iowa, or Brian Kelly's Notre Dame, and avoid the annual faceplant.

On the plus side, Dantonio's figured out that Keith Nichol isn't a good quarterback, so that's a step in the right direction. Nichol lost you a game or two last year.

Which is part of the reason I don't see 8-9 wins on Sparty's schedule. Road games at Michigan, at Penn State, at Iowa. Most of the tough ones on the road, most of the easy ones at home....I don't think it's a favorable schedule except for the absences of Ohio State and Central. To get to nine you'll have to beat two of Wisky, U-M, PSU, Iowa, or Brian Kelly's Notre Dame, and avoid the annual faceplant.

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

The Spartans have a lot of things going for them. The QB controversy that costs us some games last year is over. The WR, TE and LB groups are as good as maybe any group in the conference. There's no breakout star at RB but everyone is talented and will contribute. The biggest question is the secondary that got rocked on a regular basis last year. They have to improve.

MSU also should a favorable schedule, with a Michigan-like 8 home games. No OSU. Penn State has a lot of new players and no one is quite sure what they'll be like. Iowa on the road and Wisky at home won't be easy. Otherwise there isn't anyone on the schedule the Spartans shouldn't beat. Doesn't always mean they will, but Dantonio has done a good job of getting rid of the Same Old Spartans mentality. This isn't a make or break year for him, but another repeat of last year and people will start to wonder if he really is the right guy.

Here's how I see the schedule.

Western W

Florida Atlantic W

Notre Dame W Welcome to the big time, Kelly. MSU wins in a shootout, exorcising the ghosts of 2006

Northern Colorado W

Wisconsin L John Clay runs all over MSU

@ Michigan W Dickrod's seat is so warm his pants are on fire

Illinois W

@ Northwestern L Same Old Spartans rears it's ugly head

@ Iowa L

Minnesota W

Purdue W

@ Penn State L

8-4 should get the Spartans back to a NYD bowl game.

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

The Spartans have a lot of things going for them. The QB controversy that costs us some games last year is over. The WR, TE and LB groups are as good as maybe any group in the conference. There's no breakout star at RB but everyone is talented and will contribute. The biggest question is the secondary that got rocked on a regular basis last year. They have to improve.

MSU also should a favorable schedule, with a Michigan-like 8 home games. No OSU. Penn State has a lot of new players and no one is quite sure what they'll be like. Iowa on the road and Wisky at home won't be easy. Otherwise there isn't anyone on the schedule the Spartans shouldn't beat. Doesn't always mean they will, but Dantonio has done a good job of getting rid of the Same Old Spartans mentality. This isn't a make or break year for him, but another repeat of last year and people will start to wonder if he really is the right guy.

Here's how I see the schedule.

Western W

Florida Atlantic W

Notre Dame W Welcome to the big time, Kelly. MSU wins in a shootout, exorcising the ghosts of 2006

Northern Colorado W

Wisconsin L John Clay runs all over MSU

@ Michigan W Dickrod's seat is so warm his pants are on fire

Illinois W

@ Northwestern L Same Old Spartans rears it's ugly head

@ Iowa L

Minnesota W

Purdue W

@ Penn State L

8-4 should get the Spartans back to a NYD bowl game.

Flip the Michigan game, naturally, and you've got it....except that I really don't know what to make of Notre Dame this year and I have a hard time picking either State's or U-M's game against them.

I'll hold off on Michigan predictions til I see what the defense looks like against UConn. Simply having the same DC for two years in a row should be a huge step in the right direction, but Lord, the secondary.

As for UVA, it's never too early to break out the "wait til next year" mantras.

Toledo's schedule is sadly brutal.

Arizona- L

at Ohio- W

at WMU- tossup

at Purdue- L

Wyoming- W

at Boise State- L

Kent State- W

Ball State- W

at EMU- W

at NIU- tossup

BGSU- W

at CMU- L

I can see anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 being reasonable, so at least better than last year's 5-7. Still looking for the glory days of '01 and '04, though.

Toledo's schedule is sadly brutal.

I can see anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 being reasonable, so at least better than last year's 5-7. Still looking for the glory days of '01 and '04, though.

I miss the Rockets being good. Used to go to the Glass Bowl a lot growing up.

I'm liking my Buckeyes this year. Good feeling about this season. We'll see if Pryor has really made that leap forward we all hope he has. A lot of returning starters and a workable schedule that sees our toughest games being Miami(@ home), at Iowa, and at Wisconsin (at night, as friggin always).

Woolfolk out for the season, Turner leaving, Warren left early for the NFL, Dorsey didn't fudge his SAT scores, and Cissoko being in jail...is there anyone left who isn't a freshman or a walk-on?

Tater Tot will lead them to glory :lol:

What's everyone's take on how the Big 10 conferences should be set up?

I've heard good arguments for both sides as far as Michigan and Ohio State being in the same or separate divisions. I think if they are put together, then Penn State should be in the opposite division. You can't have the three top teams over the last 20 years in the same division or you end up like the Big 12. The Big 12 North was a joke. The bigger question to me is, do I want to play Michigan twice a year (assuming they get their s*** together fairly soon)? I think you want your two biggest brands to faceoff for the Championship, so I'm betting they'll be in different divisions.

Division 1

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Indiana

Northwestern

Illinois

Division 2

Michigan

Michigan State

Iowa

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Minnesota

I'm not sure those divisions are perfect but it's something. I might move Iowa or Wisconin to the other division.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

I agree with the seperate division for UM/OSU. Unfortunately, Michigan is going to turn it around at some point. Although, seperate divisions would almost mean it wouldn't be the last game of the season then no? I doubt either team would want to play two straight weekends with the conference championship on the line assuming Nebraska, Penn State, etc. aren't better that given year.

I agree with the seperate division for UM/OSU. Unfortunately, Michigan is going to turn it around at some point. Although, seperate divisions would almost mean it wouldn't be the last game of the season then no? I doubt either team would want to play two straight weekends with the conference championship on the line assuming Nebraska, Penn State, etc. aren't better that given year.

Yeah, The Game would definitely be moved and there's been a lot of discussion about that down here already. We hate to give up on the tradition part of it, late November in the cold and the whole season building to that one game, but college football is changing and you've got to change with the times.

Speaking of which, Ohio State will be wearing some fancy Nike bulls*** again against Michigan.

Whatever keeps Michigan and Ohio State playing on the last weekend of the season. Unfortunately I think the TV people are going to screw that up because they're afraid of a rematch. The ACC already proved what a disaster it is to base your new setup entirely on the assumption that two specific teams will face off in the championship game: they put the ACCCG in Florida for years hoping Miami and FSU would be there and their chickens came home to roost when Boston College kept crashing the party and not bringing anyone with them.

Whatever keeps Michigan and Ohio State playing on the last weekend of the season. Unfortunately I think the TV people are going to screw that up because they're afraid of a rematch. The ACC already proved what a disaster it is to base your new setup entirely on the assumption that two specific teams will face off in the championship game: they put the ACCCG in Florida for years hoping Miami and FSU would be there and their chickens came home to roost when Boston College kept crashing the party and not bringing anyone with them.

I think the Big 10 has to follow the SEC model and do it geographically and not the ACC model of...well...whatever it is that the ACC did. Drawing names out of a hat I assume.

Potential breakdowns.

North

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Michigan

Michigan State

Northwestern

Penn State

South

Nebraska

Iowa

Illinois

Purdue

Indiana

Ohio State

Or

East

Michigan State

Michigan

Penn State

Ohio State

Indiana

Purdue

West

Illinois

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Iowa

Nebraska

Here's a reference map

BigTen_map1.jpg

There's a much cleaner break in the schools if you go East/West. It probably makes more sense from a rivalry standpoint as well. And while my initial reaction was that the East was way more powerful, after thinking about that a little more, top to bottom the West is better. The East is top heavy with OSU and Penn State, but they've got Indiana and Michigan there dragging them down. The West has Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin on top. The top 5 teams (currently) are split pretty evenly and the rivalries are protected.

These are the current protected rivalry games for the Big 10.

Illinois-Northwestern, Indiana

Indiana-Purdue, Illinois

Iowa-Minnesota, Wisconsin

UM-MSU, OSU

UMinn-Wisconsin, Iowa

MSU-UM, PSU

Northwestern-Purdue, Illinois

OSU-PSU, UM

Penn State-OSU, MSU

Purdue-Indiana, Northwestern

Wisconsin-Iowa, Minnesota

Going with an East/West alignment, the Illinois/Indiana and Northwestern/Purdue games are the only ones lost to the divisions. Looking at the trophy games, Illinois/Purdue, Michigan/Minnesota and Minnesota/Penn State (didn't even know they had a trophy for that game) would be lost. But none of those games were protected games anyway, so there was no guarantee they'd meet every year.

Plus, this way Michigan and Ohio State can keep their precious game with no chance of rematch.

Edit to add: Regarding the Big 12 and their setup, when the Big 12 formed, the North was the far better division. Now the South is the better one. Things change in college football and past success is no guarantee of future success. Right, Michigan fans?

I am in favor of the East-West divison of the Big 10, er 12.

I agree with Blak's prediction on getting 8 wins. Especially the NW game. Spartans will blow a game this year that they should have no business losing to. On the flip side, they probably can beat someone they shouldnt.

Michigan's offense better score points this year because they are gonna allow a ton. I think this is the last year for RichRod. I dont think he will really deserve the ax but the record doesnt lie. His seat will be hot from the UCONN game, which Michigan will lose.