• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2010 College Football Season Thread

Rate this topic

Wow I would have never expected that from Dantonio. Gutsy call, great game!

I'm petrified of what balanced teams like Wisc, Iowa, MSU, and OSU can do to M's defense. Actually I'm scared of every offense the rest of the season now. The defense is a total joke. The kicking is worse. I'm really torn on this 3-3-5 stuff. I can see it working, and understand the talent on that side of the ball is below average, but I just don't know...

I really think if UMASS would have taken a knee before half they would have won. How pathetic...

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

^ Enjoy it while you can.

Notre Dame is really close to breaking through and it's only Kelly's third game.

That sounds a lot like what ESPN says every year in the preseason: "Is this year the year that Notre Dame turns the program back around?"

That said, last night's game was incredibly exciting and ND did look pretty good, but they're going to need a season with Kelly as their coach before I see anything remarkable happening. They did everything to win the game except win it.

Edit: Also, I'd really like to see them actually join a damn conference and play some legitimate teams aside from 4 games of the year. UM, MSU, Utah, and USC are Notre Dame's only real huge threats this year, and they've already lost two of those games. Stanford might be a little tricky too, but I see them coming out hot after losing to MSU. But seriously, Notre Dame needs to join the Big East or something.

Edited by lookalive07

AHHHHAAHAHAHAHA oh love being from the great state of Michigan. Go back to south bend and pray some more ya stupid leprechauns and maybe you can come up north and actually win against U of M or MSU. I cant stand U of M but i did find it kinda fulfilling to see ND get beat in the final seconds and then come to East Lansing and get smoked by the fake FG in OT right in front of the ND band too haha. Good win sparty's. oh and by the way to all the people saying that the play clock expired, there are tenths of seconds on a clock, even when it reaches zero the clock is still live.

Ya know the .5 .4 .3 .2 .1 just sayin.

Edited by HockeyTownHouligan

That sounds a lot like what ESPN says every year in the preseason: "Is this year the year that Notre Dame turns the program back around?"

That said, last night's game was incredibly exciting and ND did look pretty good, but they're going to need a season with Kelly as their coach before I see anything remarkable happening. They did everything to win the game except win it.

Edit: Also, I'd really like to see them actually join a damn conference and play some legitimate teams aside from 4 games of the year. UM, MSU, Utah, and USC are Notre Dame's only real huge threats this year, and they've already lost two of those games. Stanford might be a little tricky too, but I see them coming out hot after losing to MSU. But seriously, Notre Dame needs to join the Big East or something.

I agreed with everything up until the scheduling portion, then I started laughing. I love people that ***** about ND's schedule without actually looking at it. I challenge you to find another team in college football with a tougher six games to start the season. The only one remotely close might be Miami. But yes, they only play four legitimate teams.

Seriously, do you really think the frickin Big East is going to provide a tougher schedule than the one ND plays as an independent? I'd listen to arguments that the Big Ten would provide a "tougher" schedule, but right now I don't see how anyone can say the Big Ten has been anywhere near strong the past few years. I know a couple schools you mentioned that scheduled some major powerhouses such as UMass, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Florida Atlantic and Northern Colorado. Are those legitimate teams or are you saving Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, etc. for your argument? Ohio State's first six games are laughable, yet I'm supposed to sit here and believe they have it tougher than Notre Dame because they play in a conference?

If you need further evidence, I wouldn't even consider Michigan and Michigan State two of the more "legitimate teams" on Notre Dame's schedule. The combined record of the first four opponents is 11-1. Stanford isn't just a little "tricky". They could very easily win the Pac-10 and they just hung 69 points on another D-1 school. You completely underestimated Stanford - they are better than USC, UM, and MSU. The week after Notre Dame goes to Boston College, a team that won eight games last season and contends for the ACC title almost yearly. Then Pitt comes to South Bend - apparently they aren't legitimate winning ten games last season and coming a couple plays away from winning the Big East in Cincinnati. Then there's Utah, USC and Navy still to come in the second half. That's nine legitimate teams by my count with a couple "easier opponents" scattered in from Tulsa, Western Michigan and Army. They probably should replace those three with Alabama, Oklahoma and Florida to get really legitimate. Again, find me a Big East team with a tougher schedule. Do you think Michigan or Michgan State has a tougher schedule than that in the Big Ten? I'm not saying they play "weak schedules" relative to other schools, but don't tell me ND doesn't play anyone when Michigan just scheduled UMass and MSU is hosting Northern Colorado this weekend.

Notre Dame isn't joining a conference unless their hand gets completely forced by realignment. I like it that way and so do most other ND fans that I know. I would probably recommend actually looking at Notre Dame's schedule, before suggesting it's filled with "non-legitimate" teams.

AHHHHAAHAHAHAHA oh love being from the great state of Michigan. Go back to south bend and pray some more ya stupid leprechauns and maybe you can come up north and actually win against U of M or MSU. I cant stand U of M but i did find it kinda fulfilling to see ND get beat in the final seconds and then come to East Lansing and get smoked by the fake FG in OT right in front of the ND band too haha. Good win sparty's. oh and by the way to all the people saying that the play clock expired, there are tenths of seconds on a clock, even when it reaches zero the clock is still live.

Ya know the .5 .4 .3 .2 .1 just sayin.

Very mature. I'm glad they considered those "tenths of a second" at zero the two times Notre Dame got called for delay of game.

At least the Michigan fans here win with some class.

I agreed with everything up until the scheduling portion, then I started laughing. I love people that ***** about ND's schedule without actually looking at it. I challenge you to find another team in college football with a tougher six games to start the season. The only one remotely close might be Miami. But yes, they only play four legitimate teams.

Seriously, do you really think the frickin Big East is going to provide a tougher schedule than the one ND plays as an independent? I'd listen to arguments that the Big Ten would provide a "tougher" schedule, but right now I don't see how anyone can say the Big Ten has been anywhere near strong the past few years. I know a couple schools you mentioned that scheduled some major powerhouses such as UMass, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Florida Atlantic and Northern Colorado. Are those legitimate teams or are you saving Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, etc. for your argument? Ohio State's first six games are laughable, yet I'm supposed to sit here and believe they have it tougher than Notre Dame because they play in a conference?

If you need further evidence, I wouldn't even consider Michigan and Michigan State two of the more "legitimate teams" on Notre Dame's schedule. The combined record of the first four opponents is 11-1. Stanford isn't just a little "tricky". They could very easily win the Pac-10 and they just hung 69 points on another D-1 school. You completely underestimated Stanford - they are better than USC, UM, and MSU. The week after Notre Dame goes to Boston College, a team that won eight games last season and contends for the ACC title almost yearly. Then Pitt comes to South Bend - apparently they aren't legitimate winning ten games last season and coming a couple plays away from winning the Big East in Cincinnati. Then there's Utah, USC and Navy still to come in the second half. That's nine legitimate teams by my count with a couple "easier opponents" scattered in from Tulsa, Western Michigan and Army. They probably should replace those three with Alabama, Oklahoma and Florida to get really legitimate. Again, find me a Big East team with a tougher schedule. Do you think Michigan or Michgan State has a tougher schedule than that in the Big Ten? I'm not saying they play "weak schedules" relative to other schools, but don't tell me ND doesn't play anyone when Michigan just scheduled UMass and MSU is hosting Northern Colorado this weekend.

Notre Dame isn't joining a conference unless their hand gets completely forced by realignment. I like it that way and so do most other ND fans that I know. I would probably recommend actually looking at Notre Dame's schedule, before suggesting it's filled with "non-legitimate" teams.

Whatever man, I know that Michigan State hasn't exactly been the greatest football team in the past few years but when we pull out a win like that, it's satisfying as hell. I gave ND props for playing teams like MSU, UM, Stanford, USC, Utah, etc. but when I look at ND's schedule, especially after hearing the media suck their dicks each preseason, then they probably should be winning most of their games. The last good season they had was in 2006, and it was a really good season at 10-3. I remember in 2007 they were expected to match that, but what happened? They did the exact opposite...3-9.

Now, when I say a non-legitimate team, of course I'm talking about the Navy, the Air Force, the Army, etc. that should be automatic wins. ND's got a good coach and a good team this year, so let me run down the schedule real quick of what should happen:

Purdue: They should win this game most years, and they did. 1-0

Michigan: Could go either way, and it was close. 1-1

Michigan State: MSU has won 5 of the last 8 meetings, and I expected MSU to win at home and they did. 1-2.

Stanford: Notre Dame should win this game most years, so I say they should win it. 2-2

Boston College: They should win this game. 3-2

Pittsburgh: They should win this game too. 4-2

Western Michigan: See above. 5-2

Navy: Yup. 6-2

Tulsa: ... 7-2

Utah: I see Utah winning this one. 7-3

Army: ND over them no problem. 8-3

USC: USC will win as usual. 8-4

So yeah, they should win most of their games this year, but some of those games could go either way. But IMO, aside from their win over Stanford I'm predicting next week, I don't see the "strength of schedule" playing a factor in their bowl chances this year. I see them losing to who they should lose to, and beating the teams they should have no problem beating. If ND joined a conference like the Big East, not only would they become better, but they would make the conference better as a whole, as the prestigious history of the football program would probably draw in a lot of good recruits to the entire conference.

I wasn't really trying to be a dick, but the whole "enjoy it while it lasts" comment doesn't really apply to me and my team most of the last few years, and especially not considering MSU ranks 2nd all-time for teams who have beaten ND the most.

Edited by lookalive07

Whatever man, I know that Michigan State hasn't exactly been the greatest football team in the past few years but when we pull out a win like that, it's satisfying as hell. I gave ND props for playing teams like MSU, UM, Stanford, USC, Utah, etc. but when I look at ND's schedule, especially after hearing the media suck their dicks each preseason, then they probably should be winning most of their games. The last good season they had was in 2006, and it was a really good season at 10-3. I remember in 2007 they were expected to match that, but what happened? They did the exact opposite...3-9.

Now, when I say a non-legitimate team, of course I'm talking about the Navy, the Air Force, the Army, etc. that should be automatic wins. ND's got a good coach and a good team this year, so let me run down the schedule real quick of what should happen:

Purdue: They should win this game most years, and they did. 1-0

Michigan: Could go either way, and it was close. 1-1

Michigan State: MSU has won 5 of the last 8 meetings, and I expected MSU to win at home and they did. 1-2.

Stanford: Notre Dame should win this game most years, so I say they should win it. 2-2

Boston College: They should win this game. 3-2

Pittsburgh: They should win this game too. 4-2

Western Michigan: See above. 5-2

Navy: Yup. 6-2

Tulsa: ... 7-2

Utah: I see Utah winning this one. 7-3

Army: ND over them no problem. 8-3

USC: USC will win as usual. 8-4

So yeah, they should win most of their games this year, but some of those games could go either way. But IMO, aside from their win over Stanford I'm predicting next week, I don't see the "strength of schedule" playing a factor in their bowl chances this year. I see them losing to who they should lose to, and beating the teams they should have no problem beating. If ND joined a conference like the Big East, not only would they become better, but they would make the conference better as a whole, as the prestigious history of the football program would probably draw in a lot of good recruits to the entire conference.

I wasn't really trying to be a dick, but the whole "enjoy it while it lasts" comment doesn't really apply to me and my team most of the last few years, and especially not considering MSU ranks 2nd all-time for teams who have beaten ND the most.

No worries. I didn't really feel like you were trying to be a dick, but I felt the scheduling comment was off-base. It was a good win for Michigan State - I'm not denying that, nor am I saying any MSU fans including yourself shouldn't enjoy it. I think you are also confusing media exposure with Notre Dame to the media overhyping them. ND is going to get attention, like it or not, whether they are strong or bad. I can't stand anyone on ESPN besides Herbstreit, so I can't comment on what they have said/are saying about ND. Overall though, who are you referring to that loves ND so much in the media because what is there to like lately? I love this team to death and the only thing I have right now is another head coach that might possibly right the ship.

As for the schedule, I don't think Notre Dame beats Stanford. I'm hoping for 3-3 in the first six, but Boston College and Pitt are no cupcakes either. Notre Dame will NEVER join the Big East either unless they have to. As long as NBC tells Notre Dame they are going to show up for home games, then any conference is out. There's nothing beneficial honestly for the football program to join the Big East. As for the service academies on the schedule, again, you can't schedule 12-quality opponents in today's world of college football. Nobody does that and ND has a long history with the service academies as well. It's a great tradition and it sure as hell beats playing a MAC school or D-2 team.

Everybody has beaten Notre Dame recently, not just Michigan State. My comment was simply in regards to people that hate Notre Dame and go out of their way to make it known. Uhh... people complain about Notre Dame's exposure yet how many casual fans still watch their games or talk about them? I want them to be in the media because they are winning national championships.

Very, very valid points. Not going to lie I've bashed the ND schedule in the past, but I agree with you here. Usually when I think of ND's schedule I think of U-M, MSU, USC, and then some military schools, but as listed above quite far from the case. I still wish they would join the B10 for selfish reasons. If you wanna see the weakest schedule ever for this season look no further then MSU. They even miss out on OSU.

To defend schools such as U-M/MSU I will say though that it is a b**** to schedule nowadays. If you want a big fish you gotta do a home/home (assuming it works out), and in most cases you can't do that due to the budget especially with ND already on the schedule. I know UMASS was a desperation schedule jam. IIRC there were only 4 D1 schools that could make it work, and they were small schools that wanted a home/home series (One was Hawaii). I was surprised MSU could work out Alabama, and ND in the same season, but they must of figured out a way.

Speaking of MSU thoughts/prayers to Coach Dantonio. I've been a hater, but when I heard about that it really puts things in perspective. Hope he recovers fast!

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Very mature. I'm glad they considered those "tenths of a second" at zero the two times Notre Dame got called for delay of game.

At least the Michigan fans here win with some class.

ok maybe I got too carried away, I just can't stand the holier than thou mentality of some ND fans and the school that it has just been pure hatred from me from day 1 I mean some of em think they have won the championship 10 times in the last 10 years just kinda annoying. oh and Michigan fans and class can't be said in the same sentence. ND played a good game but just got out coached at the end.

ok maybe I got too carried away, I just can't stand the holier than thou mentality of some ND fans and the school that it has just been pure hatred from me from day 1 I mean some of em think they have won the championship 10 times in the last 10 years just kinda annoying. oh and Michigan fans and class can't be said in the same sentence. ND played a good game but just got out coached at the end.

I could tell you a few interesting stories regarding some Spartan fans.

Every fan base is going to have their fair share of obnoxious fans. Notre Dame is no different, although I have to wonder what fans you are coming across that are hyping up ND or if your hatred maybe just escalates that perception. There's nothing to brag about in the past 10 years. You need something to back up bragging and there's nothing to do so. While the fans obviously weren't responsible, I started really disliking MSU after they planted their flag at Notre Dame Stadium. Say what you want about ND, but they would never do that.

Holding true to what I said, while I hate Michigan more than Michigan State, I actually find UM's fans to be far more tolerable and classier than MSU fans on the whole. Again, there are moron fans for every team, but MSU fans are honestly some of the worst to me although nowhere near Ohio State level.

Also, I don't think the fake field goal was outcoaching. Gutsy call, yes. Executed well, yes. However, Notre Dame was prepared for that play and the defender just fell down. I don't know what Kelly is supposed to do about his guy falling down. Props to Dantonio for the call and it working, but I'm not blaming Kelly for losing that game.

Edited by GoWings1905

Every fan base has idiots. I've met most of Michigan's, some of Penn State's, and every Miami fan is by rule a douchebag.

I'm sure some people have horror stories about Columbus. That's fine, it's nothing new.

So is everyone pumped for ABC's big 3:30 game this week? #2 vs #119. Should be enthralling. Go Bucks.

OSU is going to get the wrath of English class!!!!!! :scared: I'm sure the points will be double from 2006, the last time OSU went to English class.

For fans: Everyone has idiots. Heck even CMU does now just because they beat MSU last year. I didn't even know they had fans! I heard Penn State's are horrible, but never really had a chance to meet any. In 2005 I was at the Big House, and Manningham scored with no time left. I think all those fans committed suicide so they don't count.

Denard taking a hit, but he looks like he'll be okay. Hopefully he'll begin to learn that discretion is the better part of valor; stepping OOB and giving up that extra 2-3 yards is something he should start doing if he wants to prolong his career.

It was good to see all 3 qb's taking snaps. However, Tate should get used to the idea that he's been unseated as the starter by Denard.

Stunningly, Toledo's sitting at 3-1 after beating Purdue at Purdue. I hate to get ahead of myself, but a bowl game? Please?

I can't believe how much the defense has improved from last season. They couldn't stop anyone a year ago and the defense has looked pretty stingy outside of the Arizona game and that's a hell of a football team.

Wouldn't it be great if UT could end Boise's dreams? Not likely at all, but that game had 70-17 written all over it about a month ago.

Stunningly, Toledo's sitting at 3-1 after beating Purdue at Purdue. I hate to get ahead of myself, but a bowl game? Please?

Watched that game closely. Looked like a completely different team than the Arizona game. Wyoming this weekend, and then the big one. I just hope they put up a good fight. Go Rockets!

And I am so sick of Boise. I'll admit they're a good team, but until they play a full schedule, no BCS championship game for them unless everyone has 2 losses.

And I am so sick of Boise. I'll admit they're a good team, but until they play a full schedule, no BCS championship game for them unless everyone has 2 losses.

I agree with all this. They need to lose against someone I don't care who it is. I would take a 2 lose OSU team over Boise.

Saturday comes the big first test for Michigan. Does 84-80 sound like a good prediction, or am I too low?!