• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2010 College Football Season Thread

Rate this topic

I can't for the life of me figure out Jim Tressel. To open the season, he rolls out this aggressive and efficient offense that we haven't seen since 06. And this week he goes back to two running backs who have time and again shown that they can't find the holes and can't make a tackler miss.

Granted, with Pryor picking up an injury, he had to change the gameplan, and the offensive line is still a joke. But if you're going to run, why call the same ******* play that's been stuffed on every attempt repeatedly. Or here's a thought, why not give Jordan Hall or Jaamal Berry a chance, two guys who have a burst and can make a guy miss?

Boom Herron and Brandon Saine are solid players, but they're far from the complete running back we need.

I can't for the life of me figure out Jim Tressel. To open the season, he rolls out this aggressive and efficient offense that we haven't seen since 06. And this week he goes back to two running backs who have time and again shown that they can't find the holes and can't make a tackler miss.

Granted, with Pryor picking up an injury, he had to change the gameplan, and the offensive line is still a joke. But if you're going to run, why call the same ******* play that's been stuffed on every attempt repeatedly. Or here's a thought, why not give Jordan Hall or Jaamal Berry a chance, two guys who have a burst and can make a guy miss?

Boom Herron and Brandon Saine are solid players, but they're far from the complete running back we need.

OSU's OL is struggling? Really? I guess I haven't noticed because I just thought the RB's were average. How is that baby Boren doing? (I know, I know I saw Kuiper's draft board just messing). OSU and U-M's RB situation is identical if you ask me. The RB's aren't bad by any means, but they are not game changers either. Herron, Saine, Shaw, and Smith would be a good No. 2 option, but not a No. 1. They are no Beanie or Hart.

You think Pryor's injury is a quick fix, or going to be lingering? I could see it going either way with that type of injury...

OSU's OL is struggling? Really? I guess I haven't noticed because I just thought the RB's were average. How is that baby Boren doing? (I know, I know I saw Kuiper's draft board just messing). OSU and U-M's RB situation is identical if you ask me. The RB's aren't bad by any means, but they are not game changers either. Herron, Saine, Shaw, and Smith would be a good No. 2 option, but not a No. 1. They are no Beanie or Hart.

You think Pryor's injury is a quick fix, or going to be lingering? I could see it going either way with that type of injury...

There are problems all over that line, the least of which is usually Boren. JB Shugarts got his lunch handed to him last Saturday by Wilson.

I'm betting it's going to be lingering thing, but I doubt it'll affect him too much. He had bigger problems last season and managed to stay pretty mobile.

And exactly, they aren't even close to Beanie or Hart and I think we've got some guys in the stable who could be on that level.

wow! two days before Michigan-MSU and this thread is quiet. I can remember years when the game required its OWN thread. Anyway, here I go.

Hey Michigan fans, do you know what time it is?? It's almost midnight. Get ready for your cinderella season, denard's heisman quest to come to a crashing end. MSU has the perfect weapon to stop Denard on saturday. Don't let him have the ball. Chew up a lot of clock time against a weak Wolverine defense and don't turn the ball over. I think if Denard gets 100 passing, 200 yards rushing....MSU will be fine. I think the team that scores 34 first will probably win the game anyway so I am ok if the spartans defense lets up 31 points to big blue. Question is can Michigan stop MSU's offense. MSU has multiple ways they can beat you and might just be the most balanced offense in the Big Ten this year. Any opinions? I am so geeked for this game on saturday. GO GREEN!! GO WHITE!!

Couple things I heard....first a terrible joke. What is Michigan State's only hope to beat Michigan this weekend? A heartless coach.

And a 70 year old Michigan State fan pushed back his pacemaker operation today, for fear that he would die and miss the game. This is true, seen this story several places. Major Hester is his name I believe.

Also, I have just gotten tickets to see Ohio State and Wisconsin at Camp Randall. Pumped!

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Having watched my team play both UM and MSU, my opinion is Michigan State will win the game on Saturday. It's very hard to pick against Robinson right now, but Michigan's defense is just awful. I'm not taking anything away from UM being 5-0, but they haven't been truly tested yet. Notre Dame is the best team they have played and even I will admit ND is making strides against tough opponents, but overall very inconsistent. ND, UMass, and Indiana all shredded Michigan's defense and MSU can run the ball and keep Robinson off the field, which may be the best only weapon to actually stopping him. At some point, not playing any defense will catch up to UM and MSU is good enough to make them pay.

38-31 Spartans

Edited by GoWings1905

I dunno, I don't think State's offensive power is quite up to what Indiana had. No defense is going to stop Robinson, so I think that UM will be able to get a victory. Maize and Blue with the 38-24 victory.

MSU can run the ball and keep Robinson off the field, which may be the best only weapon to actually stopping him.

agreed. Ball control can sometimes tell the story of the game and sometimes it can't. In this case, MSU needs to control the time of possession (which I believe they can)...and limit turnovers. Turnovers is the main thing because Michigan can score from ANYWHERE on the field. No need to give them a short field.

Also I think this is the type of game where special teams can be the difference and the Wolverines suck in that department.

time of posession means s*** to UM, they got their ass kicked in that category last game 41:47 to 18:13... thing is, they are a true quick strike offense that can and will score in 10 plays or less when it wants to.

Edited by rwfan007

time of posession means s*** to UM, they got their ass kicked in that category last game 41:47 to 18:13... thing is, they are a true quick strike offense that can and will score in 10 plays or less when it wants to.

Indiana's defense is also s*** tier compared to State's. All I will say is if State can keep my boy 'Nard Dog and the team under 27-28 points, then they win.

Although, last year they had the perfect gameplan against us and beat us at home, and they will use the same strategy this year too, as they should. The longer you keep Nard Dog off the field and keep the scoring low, the best chance you have at winning, and with our defense, they have a very good chance at winning again. I wonder what the over/under is on this game... 70-something? High 60's?

Indiana's defense is also s*** tier compared to State's. All I will say is if State can keep my boy 'Nard Dog and the team under 27-28 points, then they win.

Although, last year they had the perfect gameplan against us and beat us at home, and they will use the same strategy this year too, as they should. The longer you keep Nard Dog off the field and keep the scoring low, the best chance you have at winning, and with our defense, they have a very good chance at winning again. I wonder what the over/under is on this game... 70-something? High 60's?

If Denard throws for 100 yards, rushes for 200 yards...leads Michigan to 5 scoring drives....I still like the Spartans in the game. Even give Michigan 31 points. MSU just needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with UM in order to win this game.

Difference being Indiana's defense was worse than Michigan's and that's a feat in itself.

Michigan State won't allow 35 points in 18 minutes.

Edited by GoWings1905

I think Michigan has hit this strange critical mass between its offense and defense, where the former is very hard to stop, and the latter can't stop anything, and the combined result is that every game is a shootout that comes down to the final possession.

While State's defense is probably better than the others they've played, that may only be the difference between a dilithium-fueled 70 yard run and a series of 6-8 yards plays instead. Either way I think Michigan will be able to get into the endzone. If they can capitalize on a Cousins brain fart or two in between his evisceration of the secondary, or get a lucky fumble, it could be lights out.

I wouldn't bet against it being decided in the final minute, though.

I think state has the edge because they are more balanced on each side of the ball. If state establishes the run we are finished. Cousins is going to rack up his yards no mater what. Can't let Baker/Bell do the same thing. The M defense is a joke, but they are capable of shutting down the run if Ezeh/Mouton show up. I'm expecting a shootout. This is the best defense we have faced, but I think we can still run up points on MSU IF we have the chance. Wisconsin still averaged 5.2 ypc despite being "shutdown". They also haven't faced a mobile QB, and I think with MSU loading the box Robinson/WR's can burn MSU's safeties, their main weakness in my opinion.

I'll go 41-35 MSU. I'm leaving at 8:00 tomorrow morning for the game. I'm expecting a record breaking day with 114,00 fans.

I think state has the edge because they are more balanced on each side of the ball. If state establishes the run we are finished. Cousins is going to rack up his yards no mater what. Can't let Baker/Bell do the same thing. The M defense is a joke, but they are capable of shutting down the run if Ezeh/Mouton show up. I'm expecting a shootout. This is the best defense we have faced, but I think we can still run up points on MSU IF we have the chance. Wisconsin still averaged 5.2 ypc despite being "shutdown". They also haven't faced a mobile QB, and I think with MSU loading the box Robinson/WR's can burn MSU's safeties, their main weakness in my opinion.

I'll go 41-35 MSU. I'm leaving at 8:00 tomorrow morning for the game. I'm expecting a record breaking day with 114,00 fans.

i have to agree with a majority of what you said. Michigan will definately have their chances as MSU's defense is solid but not great by any stretch. I look at this game as a perfect game for Greg Jones to show what he is capable of. Cousins and the offense (assuming they can run or pass at will like I expect) just need to play clean...limit turnovers.

Michigan wins IMO if they can score at will and get a short field based on turnovers. Wolverines special teams is a joke and that could come into play tomorrow.

Have fun at the game as I will be dawning my MSU gear at home watching the game.

If Denard throws for 100 yards, rushes for 200 yards...leads Michigan to 5 scoring drives....I still like the Spartans in the game. Even give Michigan 31 points. MSU just needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with UM in order to win this game.

I looked it up and the over/under is 64. I don't know, I just have a feeling it's going to be under. How good is State's run game? Either way they're balanced enough to sustain long drives on our D, and while Denard was able to do anything he wanted with Indiana's defense (and everybody else's for that matter), you have to think that State's defense could do a couple stops better. This game feels like a one-possession win for State, like 31-27 or 34-28.

Also not in our favor: our special teams. Good Lord, it's horrible.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong and it's more in our favor with the higher scoring, getting the breaks that we need to get the win.

I looked it up and the over/under is 64. I don't know, I just have a feeling it's going to be under. How good is State's run game? Either way they're balanced enough to sustain long drives on our D, and while Denard was able to do anything he wanted with Indiana's defense (and everybody else's for that matter), you have to think that State's defense could do a couple stops better. This game feels like a one-possession win for State, like 31-27 or 34-28.

Also not in our favor: our special teams. Good Lord, it's horrible.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong and it's more in our favor with the higher scoring, getting the breaks that we need to get the win.

heard it on the radio so note the source:

michigan had 12 possession drives vs indiana

6 of them led to no points (punt, turnovers, etc.)

lets say thats cut from 12 to 10 against msu

even if they have half there drives led to no points, i like msu's chances

if the spartans hold michigan under 34, i think they will win.

if michigan scores in the 40s, i am worried tho.

What a game by Sparty!!!! Offense was everything I hoped they could be against Michigan and the defense was even more. Denard couldnt do anything and made too many costly mistakes. Denard is a good athlete and nothing more IMO. This game showed it too.

As far as MSU, I really love how balanced this team is and the schedule sets up nicely for a run at the Rose Bowl. Hard to believe that the season finale might REQUIRE me to do something I never have done before, root for Michigan against the Buckeyes. One game at a time tho. Illinois looks pesky after beating PSU.

You shut your ***** mouth!

LOL

MSU makes it the rest of this month undefeated, then they should have no problem in Nov and control their own destiny. MSU already owns the tiebreaker for Rose Bowl over OSU so I like their chances. Bottom line, anything short of a 10 win season for MSU is a disappointment when you look at the rest of the schedule for the Spartans.