• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2010 College Football Season Thread

Rate this topic

Sigh. I seriously wonder why I bother anymore. I'm almost all the way to the point where I have completely accepted permanent mediocrity in my life from Notre Dame Football. Any expectations, even minor, get stomped on and trashed with losses like this every season. I can't comprehend how it is possible to lose 3 of 4 years to Navy and very close to 4 straight. Sometimes I get frustrated watching the Red Wings because they win a lot of nights on talent alone, but at least they frickin win. I want to believe in Brian Kelly, but today was Charlie Weis all over again. Outhustled, outworked, outcoached by a vastly inferior opponent.

I wasn't expecting a miracle in year one, but man you gotta at least win the games you are supposed to. I'm not sure I can bear to watch the Utah and USC massacres still to come. This football program has had no pride for a decade now and that stings maybe even more than the losing.

I feel your pain. The last 3 years is plenty. Don't know how much more I can handle. You will be okay, because it's only a matter of time before BK gets things rolling.

MSU is ranked fifth in the nation. I'm really surprised no one is talking about that.

I haven't been online lately. I have and will continue to always post about my spartans, win or lose.

8-0 is unbelievable to imagine. It maybe premature but I requested new years day off at work with the wishful thinking that if MSU plays the Rose Bowl, I will be able to watch it live. I will have to wait and see what happens.

Looking forward to this weekends Iowa game as this really is the last huge hurdle in the Spartans dream season.

MSU is ranked fifth in the nation. I'm really surprised no one is talking about that.

They're a good team, but definitely not the fifth best team in the country IMO. I just think that they've had everything go right that could possibly go right this year, combined with a pretty weak schedule. The Wisconsin win was impressive, but Wisconsin doesn't look like the same team that they were when they played MSU. Every other team that they've played is pretty weak. Like I said, they're a good team, but probably more like #20-25 in the country and not #5. I'll be shocked if they walk out of Iowa with a W, but that still more than likely means an 11-1 season, which is pretty impressive. They'll probably get rolled if they go to a BCS bowl though.

They're a good team, but definitely not the fifth best team in the country IMO. I just think that they've had everything go right that could possibly go right this year, combined with a pretty weak schedule. The Wisconsin win was impressive, but Wisconsin doesn't look like the same team that they were when they played MSU. Every other team that they've played is pretty weak. Like I said, they're a good team, but probably more like #20-25 in the country and not #5. I'll be shocked if they walk out of Iowa with a W, but that still more than likely means an 11-1 season, which is pretty impressive. They'll probably get rolled if they go to a BCS bowl though.

Everyone goes to the schedule and says MSU has a weak schedule. When compared to Oregon's schedule, the Spartans have definately had a tougher one. In fact of the top 5 teams in the country, only Auburn has had a tough schedule so far.

MSU beat Wisconsin, plain and simple. Everyone said Wisconsin was overrated and couldnt win the big games when it counted and all they did was win 2 big games back to back.

Even if MSU gets "rolled" in a BCS bowl, isn't this a helluva accomplishment and shows that the program has arrived. I bet Michigan fans wish their team was "rolled" in a BCS game again.

Everyone goes to the schedule and says MSU has a weak schedule. When compared to Oregon's schedule, the Spartans have definately had a tougher one. In fact of the top 5 teams in the country, only Auburn has had a tough schedule so far.

MSU beat Wisconsin, plain and simple. Everyone said Wisconsin was overrated and couldnt win the big games when it counted and all they did was win 2 big games back to back.

Even if MSU gets "rolled" in a BCS bowl, isn't this a helluva accomplishment and shows that the program has arrived. I bet Michigan fans wish their team was "rolled" in a BCS game again.

This.

I find it pretty funny to see people (mostly ESPN retards) say that MSU doesn't deserve the ranking they have. They pulled off a clutch win in OT against a ND team that actually looked somewhat impressive at that point of the season. Two weeks later, they defeated the then undefeated #11 Wisconsin Badgers, and looked pretty damn good against them. The following week, they shut up everyone in Wolverine Wonderland by making their golden boy Denard look pretty damn average. Guess what? They were undefeated too. The only teams that have given Michigan State any real trouble anywhere close to the end of a game this year are Notre Dame and Northwestern. I honestly don't really expect anything else this weekend in Iowa City. I think Iowa will be our toughest opponent yet, but I still think MSU is going to want blood after that last second loss in Spartan Stadium last year.

Looking at the rest of the top 10 of the BCS (or top 25 if you prefer, since Trapt1307 seems to think that an undefeated team who has already beaten two top 20 teams this year should be ranked 20-25 :rolleyes:), I don't see anyone else really who should be ahead of MSU aside from who is currently.

Auburn is the first #1 to really deserve their ranking, IMO, aside from Alabama, who got their #1 in the preseason. You look at the rest of their schedule and you can probably guarantee at least three out of four more wins. I only see a toss up against Alabama. If you look at where MSU started in terms of ranking and where they are now, you can't tell me they don't deserve to be where they are. They jumped up because of big wins when it counted, and kept climbing by beating teams while other teams ahead of them choked. If you're trying to tell me Michigan State should be mixed in somewhere with their 8-0 record amongst the 5-2s and 6-2s, I'm sorry, but you're just wrong.

Edited by lookalive07

Nobody said they're not a good team...they are. Nobody said they're not deserving...they are, they're undefeated so they obviously deserve to be ranked where they are at this point in the season. But they're not the fifth best team in the country. They're a fake field goal and a fake punt away from losing to two bad teams. They're ranked where they are because they're undefeated and they play in a BCS conference. It reminds me of a couple years ago when BC, South Florida and Kansas were ranked in the top three. They were good teams, but nowhere near where they were ranked...they were ranked where they were because they had fewer losses than everyone else.

Edited by Trapt1307

Nobody said they're not a good team...they are. Nobody said they're not deserving...they are, they're undefeated so they obviously deserve to be ranked where they are at this point in the season. But they're not the fifth best team in the country. They're a fake field goal and a fake punt away from losing to two bad teams. They're ranked where they are because they're undefeated and they play in a BCS conference. It reminds me of a couple years ago when BC, South Florida and Kansas were ranked in the top three. They were good teams, but nowhere near where they were ranked...they were ranked where they were because they had fewer losses than everyone else.

In college football, you need luck every now and then. Luck has definately been on MSU's side this year.

I understand with what your saying in MSU but the fact is they are undefeated and with only 7 undefeated teams left, they deserve to be at least in the top 7. With the voters having the spartans 5th outta 7 undefeated teams should at least tell you that they are not convinced in this team. A win against Iowa would change a lot of voters minds IMO.

Also its not what team you beat when you play them, its how they do after you beat them that can effect you. Just ask Boise State. Yeah they beat Va Teach but then Va Tech laid an egg against James Madison and thats may hurt the Broncos in the end of this season, getting into the National Championship Game.

Its interesting in that if you have 3 undefeated teams left...say Oregon, Boise State and TCU...with Bama being a 1 loss team. Would the BCS move a 1 loss Alabama team in the title game over undefeated Boise St. and TCU?? I think they would. If anything to avoid the BCS championship going to a non-BCS conference team.

I'd say he officially lost his job when he went 0-3 against MSU.

Nah...if they would have turned it around and won 8 games after losing to MSU, he would have been fine. Now, I don't know if they'll win another game to be honest with you.

Nah...if they would have turned it around and won 8 games after losing to MSU, he would have been fine. Now, I don't know if they'll win another game to be honest with you.

again i ask, how is this year different than last year???

Offense is better, defense is worse.

I actually will agree with you on this one. Special teams is worse too.

Ok Michigan fans. Do you really want this team to win another game this year?? Another win so they can go to a bowl game and maybe Rich Rod keeps his job.....or would you rather they just bottom out, lose all their remaining games and bring in a new coach.

Ok Michigan fans. Do you really want this team to win another game this year?? Another win so they can go to a bowl game and maybe Rich Rod keeps his job.....or would you rather they just bottom out, lose all their remaining games and bring in a new coach.

Yes ST is much worse! Everywhere!

I don't want Michigan to lose another game this season. I think if people want them to lose out they are not real fans (I know some these people). Rich Rod for now is still the coach, and needs full backing from everyone. You can question his abilities, and future (I sure have), but you still gotta be on his side as long as he's here. At the end of the day the players are still working their tails off doing their best.

I hope he can stick around. His offense is very young, and a treat to watch. It's only going to improve. I also like his fire, but if goes 1-3/0-4 he's gotta go no questions asked. I would like it if they show some life and salvaged this season, and during the offseason is forced to gut out his WHOLE defensive staff, and give up his defensive philosophy (if he actually has one).

If the wheels do fall off completely it's time to bring back Jim. He will come assuming Jerry Jones doesn't get his hands on him first.

I'm torn. On one hand I want him to stay because two years from now they'll still have many of the players that they have now on offense (starting sophs all over the place), so it should be Oregon good. On the other hand, the defense is so bad that it's hard to justify giving him more time. I think what I'm hoping for now is two more wins to save Rich Rods job, and then complete overhaul of the defensive staff. We're talking a new coordinator who brings in his own assistants and has his own scheme. Mike Trgovac and John Tenuta are two that would be perfect.

I'm torn. On one hand I want him to stay because two years from now they'll still have many of the players that they have now on offense (starting sophs all over the place), so it should be Oregon good. On the other hand, the defense is so bad that it's hard to justify giving him more time. I think what I'm hoping for now is two more wins to save Rich Rods job, and then complete overhaul of the defensive staff. We're talking a new coordinator who brings in his own assistants and has his own scheme. Mike Trgovac and John Tenuta are two that would be perfect.

I don't think you want Tenuta around unless Michigan's secondary drastically improves in the near future. He blitzes literally every play leaving the secondary on an island. Great when it works, a nightmare when your corners and safeties aren't that strong in coverage to begin with.

If the wheels do fall off completely it's time to bring back Jim. He will come assuming Jerry Jones doesn't get his hands on him first.

What makes you think Harbaugh has any interest in coming back to Michigan? Has Mike Hart given him his Michigan Man card back?

"Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in, and when they're in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They're adulated when they're playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

"That's a guy I have no respect for. You graduate from the University of Michigan, and you're going to talk about your school like that, a great university like we have? To say that we're not true student-athletes? I don't know if maybe he wants to coach here and he's mad because he didn't get a job. … He's not a Michigan man. I wish he'd never played here."

Really, what makes you think he'd coming running to Ann Arbor if the new AD picks up the phone? Why leave a program that he's turning into a winner to pick up the flaming and charred remains of the DickRod trainwreck? The NFL is going to come calling, Stanford certainly has the money to keep him if they want. He's got some great options in front of him. Why throw that away for a program on probation that has won 4 Big 10 games in the last 3 seasons and stocked with guys who aren't right for his system?

I'm hoping for one of two things to happen with Michigan and their coaching situation. Either 1) give their current coaching staff a big fat extension; or 2) fire DickRod and conduct their next coaching search with all the competence they showed on their last one. Say hello to you new head coach, Brady Hoke!