• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2010 College Football Season Thread

Rate this topic

What a pathetic, piss poor effort!!!!! Personally I think RR is done, but there's a lot of people who disagree with that. I'm on the fence on what I would do. What needs to happen is early next week Michigan needs to say RR is staying no matter what to help his recruiting OR they need to fire him. If they did fire him I would want a solid plan with Harbaugh in place. He will come. I just don't want a Les Miles 2 mess.

RR will go - utter disaster of an experiment. Well at least we spared the rest of the Big Ten from trying that one out. Nothing good about his program right now. Loyd Carr is sounding awful good right about now - too bad too many UM fans ran him out of town. 10-2 and losing to USC (who were cheating at the time) in the Rose Bowl doesn't sound so bad eh? ;)

Shouldv'e held onto him for a few more years and actually found the right replacement.

Ah well, future should be interesting.

Congrats Sparty - been what 20 years since a Big Ten Title? Shouldn't be any more ties after next year either. 3-way tie is dumb.

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

If Rich Rod gets fired, it will be this week...before the bowl game. Greg Robinson would coach the bowl game.

As for Michigan State, I don't care if its a share and they probably wont go to a BCS bowl but...

2010 BIG TEN CHAMPIONS!!

Agreed, but Robinson won't be coaching. It would be Calvin Magee.

Congrads to MSU. Looks like a Saban vs MSU bowl game could very well happen.

6 Big Ten Championships in a row. That's fun. The game Saturday? Pretty boring. I really hope Michigan gets their s*** together. The rivalry is less fun for sure.

There was a time when beating Michigan by 30 would have brought an overwhelming euphoria. I would have been watching the highlights with tears in my eyes for months afterwards. I feel like I've been cheated of all that.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

To say I am giddy like a little school girl for my alma mater going 12-0 and either playing in the Rose Bowl or National Championship in all likelihood is an understatement.

Yes, I went to the "Little Sister of the Poor" school, TCU. I got absolutely nothing against the Ohio State football team or the school, but obviously I think what their chancellor said was just so absurd, espeically when our strength of schedule is pretty close to the same as theirs.

Now, before I get slammed at for my school not playing anybody, I will give you my stance.

I get that in most instances, a schedule of the Mountain West/non-AQ is typically not as difficult as a Big 10 schedule or SEC schedule, etc. Nobody is saying across the board that the MWC = or is better than those conference. I understand that.

I live in SEC country though, and I absolutely cannot stand the argument that us or Boise State or somebody who consistently puts up 10+ wins a season that "YOU ALL CAN'T SURVIVE THE GRIND OF A CONFERENCE LIKE THE SEC UNBLEMISHED!!!!" Well, no s**t Sherlock in all likelihood, nobody is suggesting that. The thing that nobody says about this, is that very few of the conference's own teams survive this grind as well, so it's a wasted argument in my opinion when you might only have 1 or 2 teams from your own conference go undefeated or just have 1 loss or whatever.

I absolutely hate that we have to treat a 5-point win against a very respectable opponent like a loss because of the conference we are in just because people do not either watch the game or understand what happened in the game/game flow, etc. The game I am referring to is our 40-35 win against San Diego State, a team that is currently 8-4, has only lost to teams like Missouri and Utah (both ranked) by only a field goal each, and a team that could crack the top-25 if they win their bowl game. They've lost all 4 games by a total of 14 points. They are currently ranked around 30th. That game our two best wide receivers got injured, one of our coaches suffered a heart attack, our starting running back got injured after his first carried. But to all, that goes on deaf ears and we get peanlized just because people look at the box score only. I never expected us to advance in the rankings after that win but it's stupid how we got penalized. I get it, but the rules and the BCS and the system stink.

How do you think MSU feels, doing just about everything right going 11-1 and being all but left out. It's not a fair system to both AQs and non-AQs.

Utah in 2007 going undefeated, and beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and they didn't play for a National Championship. Auburn in 2004 went undefeated and didn't play for the NC. 5 teams were undefeated last season and 3 didn't play for a NC. Or how about 2007, when LSU and OSU playing for the National Championship with both 2 losses, basically like pulling names out of a magic hat?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Hey SWF, at least they are joining an equally poor conference in terms of competition but will at least get the automatic BCS bid. That's another insane rule from the BCS. UConn is going to lose by 67 in whatever game they end up in regardless of opponent. The Big East is really sad. I don't blame TCU for heading there though.

For the first time in eight years I can say my Irish beat U$C. I don't care how down the condoms are, that was such an amazing feeling. I hope Kiffin has years of mediocrity ahead of him. At least they can enjoy their bowl game in a few weeks. Oh, scratch that too. I frickin love Brian Kelly. I finally see some toughness and pride coming back.

Any person with any sense will realize that the Big East was/is pretty poor overall this year.

However, fair or not, they have the AQ status and more revenue opps., so can't pass it up.

It wasn't long ago that Cincinnati and Louisville were tearing that conference up in football not too long after they joined - two schools typicalyl known more for basketball, along with West Virginia and Pitt being usually solid. It's definitely not on par with SEC or Big 10 obviously, but each year is different and hopefully this year (and last to a degree) is more a rebuilding year, or...well you get what I'm saying.

It's a good move for all sports for my alma mater. Men's basketball has been pretty much average or terrible most years since I was a part of the school in the late 90s, so hopefully the conference will help shape them up since it's really solid in hoops. Women's basketball has always been good most years. Baseball went to the College World Series this past season. Pretty much the only sport that we struggle in is men's basketball.

For the first time in eight years I can say my Irish beat U$C. I don't care how down the condoms are, that was such an amazing feeling. I hope Kiffin has years of mediocrity ahead of him. At least they can enjoy their bowl game in a few weeks. Oh, scratch that too. I frickin love Brian Kelly. I finally see some toughness and pride coming back.

I was rooting for ND. What a great game. I hate Kiffin, and there was nothing better then watching Ronald Johnson lose the game. I was furious when Carrol paid off Rojo, and stole him from us. Ahhh good ol' karma.

Time to give this thread a 2nd life. The good games are finally starting to start. What are your thoughts so far?

-I think this is Rich Rod's last game on the sidelines regardless of outcome

-Not sure what to think about Michigan's chances, but I'm leaning towards a lose. 28-24 MSU.

-I don't think MSU stands a chance against Bama. 37-17

-I think Pryor, and the boys shouldn't be playing in the bowl game.

But what if he was replaced with Charile Weis??? :P

I'm thinking on Wednesday Harbaugh is hired.

:lol: He's busy now recruiting some quality individuals to go play offense at Florida.

I think Harbaugh is going to the 49ers. Unfortunately, it's the worst timing possible for UM with so many openings in the NFL and Harbaugh coming off an incredible season at Stanford. He's the hottest commodity in coaching by far and the 49ers will pay him a ton to turn it around there. I still can't believe how quickly Stanford turned around and that isn't the easiest school to recruit at either.

So if Harbaugh falls through, do they keep Rich Rod albeit the assumption everywhere that he was done? I know Brady Hoke's name pops up as a possible replacement. He definitely fits the Michigan mold and has done a really nice job at SDSU. Would the fanbase be happy with a lesser known name as long as it isn't Rodriguez?

Good riddance. Now all signs point to Hoke being hired. It's not a bad decision, I believe he's a good pick. He turned around Ball State and SD State, is a Michigan man, and coached under Lloyd Carr, but IMO David Brandon has to throw everything at Harbaugh to get him here.

Another candidate is Les Miles, another Michigan man, but I highly doubt that since the opportunity was there 3 years ago and he signed a long contract with LSU, and if he decided to leave to come here he'd have to pay back a little over a million to buyout. I just don't see that happening.

If Harbaugh stays in Stanford, it's because Luck stays. If Luck enters the draft, Harbaugh will definitely be a top candidate for an NFL coaching job like San Francisco. The only way we'd get him is if Brandon throws an offer at him that he can't refuse, which I doubt he does that. Rumors also have it that Brandon doesn't even want him here for some reason.

Meanwhile, Brady Hoke, according to the media, says he's ready for the Michigan job. Looks like he's our guy so we have no choice but to support him.

I think he'll do fine here if they hire him but I don't see anything from him that will turn the program around back to elite status. I do think he'll do much better than Rich Rod though.

My wish is that David Brandon does everything he can to get Harbaugh here.

My alma mater - Rose Bowl champions, 13-0, all but guarateed a top-2 spot.

Hell yes.

Saturday's victory was just as big a deal to me as the Saints winning the Super Bowl or the Wings winning the Stanley Cup. Just was so happy beyond belief Saturday evening and it isn't going away anytime soon.

Now, as far as TCU (and you could probably put Stanford in this mix as well) taking on Auburn or Oregon, I certainly think they have a good shot against either team if it's just 1 game. I'd love to see it happen. But I'm not going to go on a soapbox saying that it's unfair that they aren't or BCS SUCKS. I already know it does and any rants about it are just a waste of breath. The BCS stinks up the joint for both non-AQs and AQs alike (i.e. TCU vs. Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl last year, Auburn in 2004 not playing for all the marbles despite being undefeated, Michigan State this year, and plenty of examples of non-AQs either not even coming an inkling close of consideration of an official national championship after winning a BCS bowl/finishing undefeated, or even making the BCS at all with an undefeated season). You can argue or debate who is more or less deserving out of all these examples but that's not the point and personally that'd aggravate the hell out of me. The point is the system stinks for all schools alike.

We won the Rose Bowl, which is arguably the best and most prestigious bowl game outside of the National Championship, and while my alma mater may not be the "official" National Champion, they are champions to me (in the general sense). I'm not going to whine anytime soon about anything and it's just so awesome what they accomplished.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Other possible candidates: Gary Patterson of TCU and Jon Gruden (hmm). Patterson would be real nice to have here, he's done great things at TCU. Gruden would have a good presence, but I don't see being a college coach before he gets hired by an NFL team again.

Apparently Dave Brandon's phone and email is blowing up with interests for the job :rolleyes: Hopefully he just puts the right person in place within the next couple days and doesn't take his sweet time.

Had the worst week to lose internet for no good reason, but here's what I think briefly.....

-Hoke could be a good hire. Wouldn't be "sexy" at this time regarding a national uproar, but neither was Czich, Kelly, Tressel, and a handful of others. I could see him being a great hire, or another crappy hire. Won't argue for him either way. I would just support him like I did with RR. Not my first choice though. Which leads me to my second thought..

-Sounds like Jim really wants the Michigan job, but on the other hand has NFL dream$$. I can't blame him if he goes to the NFL. I think it's not over with Harbaugh like Herbstret said today. It could be, but until I see him at the podium of an NFL team I will hold onto hope. I don't this is wishful thinking either. I really think he's torn.

I question NFL teams. Has Harbaugh ever coaches a major position in the NFL? Do they remember Saban, Spurrier, etc? Putting biased aside I still think NFL teams are rolling the dice on him yet willing to pay him ridiculous amounts of money. Guess I don't understand....

Had the worst week to lose internet for no good reason, but here's what I think briefly.....

-Hoke could be a good hire. Wouldn't be "sexy" at this time regarding a national uproar, but neither was Czich, Kelly, Tressel, and a handful of others. I could see him being a great hire, or another crappy hire. Won't argue for him either way. I would just support him like I did with RR. Not my first choice though. Which leads me to my second thought..

-Sounds like Jim really wants the Michigan job, but on the other hand has NFL dream$$. I can't blame him if he goes to the NFL. I think it's not over with Harbaugh like Herbstret said today. It could be, but until I see him at the podium of an NFL team I will hold onto hope. I don't this is wishful thinking either. I really think he's torn.

I question NFL teams. Has Harbaugh ever coaches a major position in the NFL? Do they remember Saban, Spurrier, etc? Putting biased aside I still think NFL teams are rolling the dice on him yet willing to pay him ridiculous amounts of money. Guess I don't understand....

Well he was a 1st round QB and played 15 years in the NFL, then went on to become the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders under Bill Callahan (who got promoted to head coach after the Jon Gruden trade to TB). That was the team that had Rich Gannon and lost in the Super Bowl to the Buccaneers, coached by... you guessed it, Jon Gruden. Next season the Raiders sucked hard though.

That's why I think he's a hot commodity in the NFL now because of his NFL QB playing and coaching experience and being part of the staff in the Super Bowl, and then making a name for himself coaching for San Diego and Stanford and turning around their programs.

Plus, his brother hasn't been doing too shabby with the Ravens.