• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

Whatever keeps Michigan and Ohio State playing on the last weekend of the season. Unfortunately I think the TV people are going to screw that up because they're afraid of a rematch. The ACC already proved what a disaster it is to base your new setup entirely on the assumption that two specific teams will face off in the championship game: they put the ACCCG in Florida for years hoping Miami and FSU would be there and their chickens came home to roost when Boston College kept crashing the party and not bringing anyone with them.

I think the Big 10 has to follow the SEC model and do it geographically and not the ACC model of...well...whatever it is that the ACC did. Drawing names out of a hat I assume.

Potential breakdowns.

North
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Penn State

South
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State

Or

East
Michigan State
Michigan
Penn State
Ohio State
Indiana
Purdue

West
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska

Here's a reference map

Posted Image

There's a much cleaner break in the schools if you go East/West. It probably makes more sense from a rivalry standpoint as well. And while my initial reaction was that the East was way more powerful, after thinking about that a little more, top to bottom the West is better. The East is top heavy with OSU and Penn State, but they've got Indiana and Michigan there dragging them down. The West has Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin on top. The top 5 teams (currently) are split pretty evenly and the rivalries are protected.

These are the current protected rivalry games for the Big 10.

Illinois-Northwestern, Indiana
Indiana-Purdue, Illinois
Iowa-Minnesota, Wisconsin
UM-MSU, OSU
UMinn-Wisconsin, Iowa
MSU-UM, PSU
Northwestern-Purdue, Illinois
OSU-PSU, UM
Penn State-OSU, MSU
Purdue-Indiana, Northwestern
Wisconsin-Iowa, Minnesota

Going with an East/West alignment, the Illinois/Indiana and Northwestern/Purdue games are the only ones lost to the divisions. Looking at the trophy games, Illinois/Purdue, Michigan/Minnesota and Minnesota/Penn State (didn't even know they had a trophy for that game) would be lost. But none of those games were protected games anyway, so there was no guarantee they'd meet every year.

Plus, this way Michigan and Ohio State can keep their precious game with no chance of rematch.

Edit to add: Regarding the Big 12 and their setup, when the Big 12 formed, the North was the far better division. Now the South is the better one. Things change in college football and past success is no guarantee of future success. Right, Michigan fans?

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#22 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

I am in favor of the East-West divison of the Big 10, er 12.

I agree with Blak's prediction on getting 8 wins. Especially the NW game. Spartans will blow a game this year that they should have no business losing to. On the flip side, they probably can beat someone they shouldnt.

Michigan's offense better score points this year because they are gonna allow a ton. I think this is the last year for RichRod. I dont think he will really deserve the ax but the record doesnt lie. His seat will be hot from the UCONN game, which Michigan will lose.

#23 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

It's nearly upon us. :cool:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#24 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

if our DBs can stay healthy, i think bama could go undefeated again.

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

Here we go!

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Finally here...

Make it happen BK.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#27 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

Finally here...

Make it happen BK.

You must be pretty pleased with that performance.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

Very nice outcome for Michigan today. Not surprising, though. More substantial opponent next week.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 04 September 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#29 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

You must be pretty pleased with that performance.

Very pleased, indeed.

Saturday should be a terrific game.

#30 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

This past weekend, my alma mater opened up their season with a "neutral site" game at Dallas Cowboys Stadium. I quote neutral because the stadium is only about a 15-20 minute drive from where they normally play their home games. Anyways, Cowboys Stadium is absolutely ridiculous. My alma mater played in the Fiesta Bowl last year and I thought University of Phoenix Stadium in the Phoenix area was magnificent. Cowboys Stadium blows it out of the water. A few quick shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 06 September 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

This past weekend, my alma mater opened up their season with a "neutral site" game at Dallas Cowboys Stadium. I quote neutral because the stadium is only about a 15-20 minute drive from where they normally play their home games. Anyways, Cowboys Stadium is absolutely ridiculous. My alma mater played in the Fiesta Bowl last year and I thought University of Phoenix Stadium in the Phoenix area was magnificent. Cowboys Stadium blows it out of the water. A few quick shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Death Star!

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

Good times, good times.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Poor Reggie.

Irish Who? Go Blue

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

Denard Robinson for Heisman. That's all I gotta say.

#35 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have met the douchiest "fan"base of them all. The Miami Hurricanes fans are the lowest form of humanity.

Buckeyes should have won by 40, instead we won by 12...whatevs.

So did you guys know that Denard Robinson is called Shoelace because he doesn't ties his shoelaces? I always forget that until an announcer reminds me on a weekly basis. Didn't get to watch Michigan's game because I was at the Shoe, but from what I gather from the highlights, Denard Robinson is a stud.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#36 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

So did anyone miss me? If you didn't I'm sorry to ruin your day :P I'm usually all over the college football threads but when someone tries to sue you, and another person is stalking you it tends to take you away from this great site.

I would like to comment about a lot of the discussion above, but I got too much to say. So from now on I'm back on board. It's good to be back!

#37 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

So did anyone miss me? If you didn't I'm sorry to ruin your day :P I'm usually all over the college football threads but when someone tries to sue you, and another person is stalking you it tends to take you away from this great site.

I would like to comment about a lot of the discussion above, but I got too much to say. So from now on I'm back on board. It's good to be back!

Dude, welcome back. The college football thread isn't the same without you.

Glad we don't have to relive last Saturday with comments however. I'd rather not think about it for the second straight year. Congrats though to the UM fans on the win.

Edited by GoWings1905, 14 September 2010 - 10:30 PM.

#38 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

I don't want you to take this wrong but....god, I missed you. This thread was empty without you.

And as a proper welcome back...Michigan sucks!

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

:rolleyes:

#40 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

I don't want you to take this wrong but....god, I missed you. This thread was empty without you.

And as a proper welcome back...Michigan sucks!

Haha wouldn't want any other type of welcome from you! Thanks for the responses. All the bumps in life have been cleared for now so I'm excited!

As for ND I won't bring up a lot. All I'll say is this: ND has the right coach now. BK is going to win big there in time. He had his arms tied behind his back with the QB situation. Reminded me of the Threet/Sheridan days :scared:

For M: Obviously thrilled with Shoelace, but it's a long season. Tate the "Great" seemed to have the same start last season. I'm not forgetting that. The defense will also have some serious issues all season due to youth/depth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users