• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CdnWingsFanEh

Tough Guy: Memoir of Bob Probert

Rate this topic

So was it finished before he passed? From the articles I've read it seems like it was still in the process of being completed.

That's kind of the impression I get, that it was still in process. I would think they would publish as much as they could using whatever notes he may have made in advance, I don't really know otherwise. Either way, I'll be picking that one up.

Edit: sp

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

From TSN.CA

TORONTO -- The family of Bob Probert has decided to go ahead with a memoir the longtime NHL enforcer was working on prior to his death.

"Tough Guy," due to be published Oct. 26, will recount his career with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks when he was one of the most feared players in the game, and also delve into his off-ice troubles.

Probert was co-writing the book with Kirstie McLellan Day before he suffered a heart attack and died last month.

"He was really excited and happy about the opportunity to tell it like it really was -- behind the headlines," Dani Probert, his widow, said in a statement released by publisher HarperCollinsCanada. "After much deliberation, my family and I have decided to fulfil Bob's dream and publish the book."

TSN Link

Looking forward to giving these a read when it comes out. Glad they decided to finish it up.

If you go to the Freeps website, they've got 3 sets of extracts there. http://www.freep.com/article/20101024/SPORTS05/10240598/1355/Bob-Probert-I-always-seemed-to-take-it-to-the-next-level-you-know-what-I-mean?

Quite frankly, I'm disapointed with what I've read. Very similar to the autobiography of another high-profile sporting legend that I read (George Best ). Full of excuses and self-justification for his destructive, selfish behaviour. I know thats going to be very unpopular and I'm going to be flamed to hell and back for it because he's such a hero to many on here, and a tragically dead hero at that, but there it is. He comes across as totally unapologetic for his off-ice behaviour, and clearly bore chips on his shoulder right to the end towards Demers & the players who despaired at his lack of proffesionalism. I mean, how dare his team-mates get upset that he was out drinking & clubbing during the '89 conference finals....

OK folks, flame away.

There is a great video on TSN right now called Remembering Probert Pt.1

Awesome clip of Yzerman talking about him and showing them two sitting beside each other brought me chills.

The video has Proberts family in it and they talk about the book and finishing it.

i kinda have to agree with dicksmack, why do people look up to this guy?

Because, like many Wings fans and hockey fans in general, I looked up to him growing up. He was one of my hockey idols, and I learned to respect him even more after he finally got his act together. Sure, he had his issues, but it was his perserverance that makes me, and many others respect him. He recognized he had problems, and he worked at it. Sure, it took him a while, but he eventually cleaned himself up. It is unfortunate his life was so short, but he will always be remembered.