• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Lidstrom's Chances at Another Norris

Rate this topic

To the guy who is making a fuss about Chicago losing money you really don't understand business. The Hawks have been paying off loans and the debt from the past 10 season. They are not a trainwreck of an org. Have you taken a look at your own arena and the empty seats?

The Red Wings were the 3rd or 4th most valuable team in the league last year. How about your team?

chicago is actually doing pretty good according to the latest forbes list atleast:

http://www.forbes.co...ions_Value.html

7th in current franchise value with the highest % increase this year(26 to washington at 15 pittsburgh at 14 and detroit at 11 with everyone else below 10)

and 5th in operating income with 20.9 million(behind only toronto,montreal,the rangers and detroit)

according to the list they are also only one of three teams with zero debt right now(the other two being the rangers and detroit)

Edited by ricky0034

Guest scottj

I still can't believe that some dude tried implying that it's a compliment for the detroit red wings to get compared to the blackhawks lol

chicago is actually doing pretty good according to the latest forbes list atleast:

http://www.forbes.co...ions_Value.html

7th in current franchise value with the highest % increase this year(26 to washington at 15 pittsburgh at 14 and detroit at 11 with everyone else below 10)

and 5th in operating income with 20.9 million(behind only toronto,montreal,the rangers and detroit)

according to the list they are also only one of three teams with zero debt right now(the other two being the rangers and detroit)

My point was the poster I was responding to has no reason to cite empty seats in Detroit when the team still makes a s*** ton of money.

Chicago still isn't there yet, regardless of increase in sales (Which is a given considering Chicago is a big city, the team just won a cup, and they are finally getting consistent advertising out there for a change).

Seems like many people over the last year or so think he's done being a nominee for this trophy anymore.

I don't agree. Last year he played a lot better as the season went on, after people started coming back from injuries. If this team stays healthy, and is as good offensively as people think it will be, I see Nick as having another good run at this trophy. His game has dropped off a little, but he's still capable of putting together another year better than any other defenseman.

It would give him 7 and tie him with Doug Harvey.

Im kinda seeing where you're coming from

With all the injuries last year I was happily surprised they got all the way to 5th seed in playoffs and Lidstrom was trying to do too much I think.

He's the captain and felt he had to and Its probably why we love him .

At 40 if he put up a solid season and the Wings go deep ... I'm saying right now .. He's a lock

Does anybody here selectively watch Nick Lidstrom every time he's on the ice? As in, to the point in which they notice all the subtleties that have made him the best for years?

Like just having a knack for sticking out his stick at just the right time to make a forward look silly ?

Or pullin back for an apparent pass and and slappin a wrister in the back of the net?

He just seems to be in the right place .. He aint faster or stronger then most ... just smarter

Like just having a knack for sticking out his stick at just the right time to make a forward look silly ?

Or pullin back for an apparent pass and and slappin a wrister in the back of the net?

He just seems to be in the right place .. He aint faster or stronger then most ... just smarter

I concur. Lids isnt very fast, and pretty underweight for a NHL defenseman but there isnt one player in the NHL that plays a smarter game than Nick.

Edited by cjm502

If the Wings have an 'injury free' season, there is no reason to believe that Lidstrom's point totals won't be amongst the league leaders. His game was never overly physical since day one. Age won't affect his game as much as it might affect a lot of other defensemen.

Just thought we'd revisit a thread that I started before the season. :D

I hate to brag, but I felt he'd have a comeback season and right now he's gotta be the favorite to win this award.

Only real challenger he has is Yandle, who has a better plus/minus, but hasn't really had a better season than Lidstrom. Visnovsky is leading in points if I'm not mistaken, but he's not a Norris caliber player.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Just thought we'd revisit a thread that I started before the season. :D

I hate to brag, but I felt he'd have a comeback season and right now he's gotta be the favorite to win this award.

Only real challenger he has is Yandle, who has a better plus/minus, but hasn't really had a better season than Lidstrom. Visnovsky is leading in points if I'm not mistaken, but he's not a Norris caliber player.

George Malik says he is concerned for Lidstrom's norris bid based on the buzz he is hearing from other writers. That would be a shame.

i would say he has a great chance at anther norris especially since his point production has been so high... the only reason his +/- is so low is because hes been manning the penalty kill virtually every game... norris #7 here we come GO WINGS

i would say he has a great chance at anther norris especially since his point production has been so high... the only reason his +/- is so low is because hes been manning the penalty kill virtually every game... norris #7 here we come GO WINGS

you don't get a minus for a PP goal against.

If Chara wins...

He maybe a +33, but in terms of skill as a defense man, he lacks, uses a lot of brute force rather than his stick and his legs to push defense man into taking a shot instead of passing it and when you have a hot Thomas, he gobbles up rebounds quite good.

Quite frankly, I can't believe anyone could disregard Yandle who came into the season as a #3 defense man and has become the #1 and got points while doing it.

If Chara wins...

He maybe a +33, but in terms of skill as a defense man, he lacks, uses a lot of brute force rather than his stick and his legs to push defense man into taking a shot instead of passing it and when you have a hot Thomas, he gobbles up rebounds quite good.

Quite frankly, I can't believe anyone could disregard Yandle who came into the season as a #3 defense man and has become the #1 and got points while doing it.

yandle is 6th on his own team in SH TOI. how can a guy win the norris if he barely kills penalties?

edit: also, he is 10th in SH TOI/gm

Edited by atodaso

I think even if Nick finishes with a minus rating he still has a good chance at winning. The competition isn't that great this year.

Visnovsky leads in points but doesn't kill penalties. Yandle also doesn't do much PKing, and is currently behind in points and goals. His +/- isn't that much better either. Ehrhoff, Letang, Weber, and Chara would be the other serious candidates. Chara has a great +/- but ~20 fewer points. Letang has been mediocre since Crosby went out. Ehrhoff could suffer a lack of name recognition, but could also gain from Vancouver's PT and impressive defense stats. Weber could suffer a bit just for being in Nashville.

In short, no one really stands out. Nick may not have the best stats, but he's maybe the most respected player in the game and could get a few votes for still being as good as he is at 40. I think it's his so long as he doesn't end up too far in the minus.