• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

If the Wings have an 'injury free' season, there is no reason to believe that Lidstrom's point totals won't be amongst the league leaders. His game was never overly physical since day one. Age won't affect his game as much as it might affect a lot of other defensemen.

#62 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Just thought we'd revisit a thread that I started before the season. :D

I hate to brag, but I felt he'd have a comeback season and right now he's gotta be the favorite to win this award.

Only real challenger he has is Yandle, who has a better plus/minus, but hasn't really had a better season than Lidstrom. Visnovsky is leading in points if I'm not mistaken, but he's not a Norris caliber player.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 04 April 2011 - 07:37 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#63 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Just thought we'd revisit a thread that I started before the season. :D

I hate to brag, but I felt he'd have a comeback season and right now he's gotta be the favorite to win this award.

Only real challenger he has is Yandle, who has a better plus/minus, but hasn't really had a better season than Lidstrom. Visnovsky is leading in points if I'm not mistaken, but he's not a Norris caliber player.

George Malik says he is concerned for Lidstrom's norris bid based on the buzz he is hearing from other writers. That would be a shame.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

George Malik says he is concerned for Lidstrom's norris bid based on the buzz he is hearing from other writers. That would be a shame.

What is he saying?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 04 April 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#65 benmast19

benmast19

benmast19

• 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

i would say he has a great chance at anther norris especially since his point production has been so high... the only reason his +/- is so low is because hes been manning the penalty kill virtually every game... norris #7 here we come GO WINGS

#66 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

i would say he has a great chance at anther norris especially since his point production has been so high... the only reason his +/- is so low is because hes been manning the penalty kill virtually every game... norris #7 here we come GO WINGS

you don't get a minus for a PP goal against.

works every time

#67 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

you don't get a minus for a PP goal against.

lolz, imagine what it would be if it did O_o we had a horrible pk stretch for a while mid-season
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#68 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Of all the talking heads on the internet, I have not see anybody that says that he won't win it. All the major sites have him winning the Norris.
Do or do not. There is no try

#69 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

If he can finish the season at even a +1, he'll win it.

#70 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

What is he saying?

George Malik

It's the second article down. I hope he's wrong. I would put my money on Lids!

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#71 Liberation

Liberation

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

If Chara wins...

He maybe a +33, but in terms of skill as a defense man, he lacks, uses a lot of brute force rather than his stick and his legs to push defense man into taking a shot instead of passing it and when you have a hot Thomas, he gobbles up rebounds quite good.

Quite frankly, I can't believe anyone could disregard Yandle who came into the season as a #3 defense man and has become the #1 and got points while doing it.

#72 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

What is he saying?

Why did this post get a +1?

:unsure:

#73 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

George Malik

It's the second article down. I hope he's wrong. I would put my money on Lids!

who votes is it these people?
Posted Image

#74 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

Someone was very appreciative of your inquiry I suppose.

Posted Image

#75 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

If Chara wins...

He maybe a +33, but in terms of skill as a defense man, he lacks, uses a lot of brute force rather than his stick and his legs to push defense man into taking a shot instead of passing it and when you have a hot Thomas, he gobbles up rebounds quite good.

Quite frankly, I can't believe anyone could disregard Yandle who came into the season as a #3 defense man and has become the #1 and got points while doing it.

yandle is 6th on his own team in SH TOI. how can a guy win the norris if he barely kills penalties?

edit: also, he is 10th in SH TOI/gm

Edited by atodaso, 04 April 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#76 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

The "Lidstrom is boring" factor has got to be the most irritating. :thumbdown:

#77 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

I think even if Nick finishes with a minus rating he still has a good chance at winning. The competition isn't that great this year.

Visnovsky leads in points but doesn't kill penalties. Yandle also doesn't do much PKing, and is currently behind in points and goals. His +/- isn't that much better either. Ehrhoff, Letang, Weber, and Chara would be the other serious candidates. Chara has a great +/- but ~20 fewer points. Letang has been mediocre since Crosby went out. Ehrhoff could suffer a lack of name recognition, but could also gain from Vancouver's PT and impressive defense stats. Weber could suffer a bit just for being in Nashville.

In short, no one really stands out. Nick may not have the best stats, but he's maybe the most respected player in the game and could get a few votes for still being as good as he is at 40. I think it's his so long as he doesn't end up too far in the minus.

#78 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

It was an accident... I was trying to hit reply. LOL

who votes is it these people?

Sports writers... Not sure which writers but the trophies are voted on by members of the media.

#79 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

The "Lidstrom is boring" factor has got to be the most irritating. :thumbdown:

Pffft boringly perfect.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#80 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Duncan Keith won last year, and he didn't have the highest point total or the largest plus/minus either. The writers apparently liked the defense he played last year. Chara won the year before that, and he was 13th in point totals and didn't lead in plus/minus that season either. Heck, Lidstrom had a plus 31 that season and didn't win the award.

I think Lids has a good chance to win the award this year, but I would not be surprised to see it go to Yandle or Visnovsky. They both have a solid plus minus, and Yandle is getting a lot of attention out of Phoenix this year. Who knows though. The writers have a lot of say into this.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain