• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Question About Retiring Jerseys

Rate this topic

I was just wondering who makes the decision for teams when they choose to retire a jersey?

Is it the owner's sole decision, or do the GM's and Vice Presidents of the team also get their say? I've never really thought about this question until now, so I'm kind of curious.

My thinking is that the people in charging of running the current team probably shouldn't make those decisions, since that's not in their job duties, but then again, I'm not sure that one person (the owner) should have sole responsibility either.

So who makes that decision for each franchise, or does it vary from team to team?

I'd have to imagine that like with all things, it's the owner's discretion (as he own the franchise), and he may or may not delegate it down. it Detroit, it's not delegated down.

That makes sense, but my problem with that is that owners in sports sometimes buy teams without having a deep rooted knowledge of that franchise or the history of the game. Kind of like a bigshot wanting to add something to their resume, so they buy the team.

Not all owners are as devoted to their teams as Ilitch is.

That makes sense, but my problem with that is that owners in sports sometimes buy teams without having a deep rooted knowledge of that franchise or the history of the game. Kind of like a bigshot wanting to add something to their resume, so they buy the team.

But ultimately, retiring a number doesn't really mean anything. It's just an honorific. You'd hope that owners will reserve it for those that truly deserve it, but if not, well...so what?

Does it really hurt anyone to have #77 in the rafters in Colorado?

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm sure it's an owner thing exclusively. In Yzerman's case maybe he would suggest someone, but I'm sure it's the owner's call.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Sure, but I'd imagine those who don't really care delegate down, if for no other reason than the PR dept asks for it to sell some tickets.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Sure, but I'd imagine those who don't really care delegate down, if for no other reason than the PR dept asks for it to sell some tickets.

I doubt anyone is that hands off in a multimillion investment.

I was just wondering who makes the decision for teams when they choose to retire a jersey?

Is it the owner's sole decision, or do the GM's and Vice Presidents of the team also get their say? I've never really thought about this question until now, so I'm kind of curious.

My thinking is that the people in charging of running the current team probably shouldn't make those decisions, since that's not in their job duties, but then again, I'm not sure that one person (the owner) should have sole responsibility either.

So who makes that decision for each franchise, or does it vary from team to team?

its up to god

I actually do. I know, its weird. I just answered a job posting on craigslist and got it. My only competition was Marty McSorely so needless to say it was an easy interview.

Yzerman was my first move. Doug Brown and Shawn Burr are next. Why? Yvon Labre, thats why.

I doubt anyone is that hands off in a multimillion investment.

William Clay Ford, Sr. <_<

Technically, it is the president's call (Devellano in the Wings' case), but the owner can step in and do whatever he wants.

I believe, as it makes sense, but what's the evidence?

I believe, as it makes sense, but what's the evidence?

I've actually spoken with Ansar Khan about it.

Devellano pretty much is the head cheese in regards to everything, but The buck always stops with Illitch, and he does stay on top of things.