• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matemate

Roster progression

Rate this topic

There's a lot of emphasis on prospects at HF. Plenty of threads in the main board of "who is going to be contenders in the future". Looking forward, how do you thin our roster will change?

2011-2012

notable contracts ending: Modano, Draper, Miller, Eaves, Salei, Lidstrom, Ericsson, Osgood, Howard

Who is out who is in?

2012-2013

notable contracts ending: Hudler, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Helm, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall

Who is in and out of this group?

There's a lot of emphasis on prospects at HF. Plenty of threads in the main board of "who is going to be contenders in the future". Looking forward, how do you thin our roster will change?

2011-2012

notable contracts ending: Modano, Draper, Miller, Eaves, Salei, Lidstrom, Ericsson, Osgood, Howard

Who is out who is in?

2012-2013

notable contracts ending: Hudler, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Helm, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall

There likely won't be any major trades or signings after this year. The Wings have too many promising prospects that will (should) be ready to make the jump. Mursak is ready, and it's possible that Tatar or iFlip will also make the Wings. The roster for 2011-2012 will likely be (suggested but arbitrary lines)...

Z-D-H

Cleary- Flip- Franzen

Huds- Abby- Bert

Eaves/Tatar- Helm- Mursak

Ritola/enforcer

Kronner- Raffy

Smith- Stuart

E- Kindl

UFA/Janik/whoever

Howard

UFA/Ozzy/McCollum/Larsson

EDIT- I forgot Huds.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

There likely won't be any major trades or signings after this year. The Wings have too many promising prospects that will (should) be ready to make the jump. Mursak is ready, and it's possible that Tatar or iFlip will also make the Wings. The roster for 2011-2012 will likely be (suggested but arbitrary lines)...

Z-D-H

Cleary- Flip- Franzen

Tatar- Abby- Bert

Eaves/UFA- Helm- Mursak

Ritola/enforcer

Kronner- Raffy

Smith- Stuart

E- Kindl

UFA/Janik/whoever

Howard

You think Hudler will be let go after his 2 years are up? I can kinda see that since he'll probably be pricey, but I'd like to think we'd keep him over an older Dan Cleary

Z-D-H

Cleary- Flip- Franzen

Tatar- Abby- Bert

Eaves/UFA- Helm- Mursak

Ritola/enforcer

Kronner- Raffy

Smith- Stuart

E- Kindl

UFA/Janik/whoever

Howard

That roster has two many virgins for my liking, and for Kenny's more than likely as well. You have a 3rd of our roster slotted with 1st year players. Look for Holland to add 1-2 max per year with veterans filling in the rest. Maybe working in some of the other rookies for injuries and or short stretches during the season.

Also when Lids decides to hang them up the Wings will make a splash in the defense department. It may not be one player and no one can replace him but they will do something to bolster the defense.

Hudler could chase dollars... He has a history of it. Hope he stays.

Also when Lids decides to hang them up the Wings will make a splash in the defense department. It may not be one player and no one can replace him but they will do something to bolster the defense.

When's Drew Doughty's contract up again? Next summer? Excellent...

I hope Nick doesn't retire after this season, though...if it was up to me, he could stay until he's 50 if he wanted to.

That roster has two many virgins for my liking, and for Kenny's more than likely as well. You have a 3rd of our roster slotted with 1st year players. Look for Holland to add 1-2 max per year with veterans filling in the rest. Maybe working in some of the other rookies for injuries and or short stretches during the season.

The only rookies on that roster are Smith and Mursak. Tatar would be a third, but he will has to have a large progression this year to be ready for the 2011-2012 season.

I would like to see the Wings make a move when Lids retires, but I don't see that happening next year. Unless E isn't re-signed or one of our other D is traded, there isn't much room for a new top-pairing defensemen next year.

I'll just paste my thoughts from the HFboards thread here:

2011-2012

notable contracts ending: Modano(retire), Draper(retire), Miller(not renewed), Eaves(renewed short term, 1-2 years), Salei(much too early to tell), Lidstrom(renewed for 1 more year, then retire), Ericsson(this season will solidify him as our #5 guy), Osgood(retire), Howard(renewed 3-4 years)

Who is out who is in?

2012-2013

notable contracts ending: Hudler(renewed), Bertuzzi(retire), Holmstrom(retire), Helm(renewed), Rafalski(renewed 1-2 yrs), Stuart(renewed), Kronwall(renewed, promoted to #2 D)

Roughly this time period and beyond I expect to see:

a) acquisition of a big ticket FA defenseman (a 7 million dollar man to "replace" Nick)

b) Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl to be permanent fixtures in at least the #5 and #6 positions

c) Gustav Nyqvist and Tomas Tatar to become the newest incarnation Flip/Huds on the 3rd line

d) Thomas McCollum taking his first real strides toward becoming a full-time NHLer

a) acquisition of a big ticket FA defenseman (a 7 million dollar man to "replace" Nick)

b) Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl to be permanent fixtures in at least the #5 and #6 positions

c) Gustav Nyqvist and Tomas Tatar to become the newest incarnation Flip/Huds on the 3rd line

d) Thomas McCollum taking his first real strides toward becoming a full-time NHLer

Yeah, that's pretty hot, and doesn't even factor in an FA steal.

The only rookies on that roster are Smith and Mursak. Tatar would be a third, but he will has to have a large progression this year to be ready for the 2011-2012 season.

I would like to see the Wings make a move when Lids retires, but I don't see that happening next year. Unless E isn't re-signed or one of our other D is traded, there isn't much room for a new top-pairing defensemen next year.

Z-D-H

Cleary- Flip- Franzen

Huds- Abby- Bert

Ritola/enforcer

Kronner- Raffy

Smith- Stuart

E- Kindl

UFA/Janik/whoever

Howard

All of the bolded players are "rookies" barring injuries they will have almost no NHL experience by next season. And in regards to room for a top parring defensman, we'd have at least Lidstrom's 6.2million maybe more if the cap goes up again. I'd say we should be able to sign a solid D man.

We will have to look at it on a season-by-season basis. Figure each new contract for depth players is two years, with starting goaltender, top-three defenseman, 32 and under being five years. Retirement potential will begin at 35.

Players who will be UFAs and RFAs on a year by year basis go this way. It will also be looked at based on UFA/RFA status at the time.

2010-11; F: Modano, Draper, D: Lidstrom, Ericsson, Salei, G: Howard and Osgood are UFA. F: Eaves, Miller, and D: Meech are RFA. Probable retirees; Modano, Draper, Salei, just from their age and their role on the team.

That's loss one third line forward, one fourth line forward, and one of our bottom pair defensemen. So we have to look at the rest. Lidstrom, Ericsson, Howard are all probably staying, the same can be said of Meech, Miller, and Eaves if they are on the team at the end of the season, which for the sake of simplicity we will say yes. As for Osgood, he's the big question. It all depends on how his year goes. I think it goes well, and he stays around another couple seasons. If he has a bad outing, he'll call it quits and head home. We'll be able to keep Ericsson, Kindl, and Meech or certifiable replacements. So going into next season assuming probable retirees and returnees we'll be taking this year's roster and looking at:

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom

Hudler/Filppula/Franzen

Cleary/Modano/Bertuzzi

Draper/Abdelkader/Helm/Miller

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Kindl/Ericsson/Meech

Howard

Osgood

And turning it into:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Filppula/Mursak

Miller/Abdelkader/Helm

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Stuart/Meech

Howard

Osgood

We'll want to bring in a top-six type forward, but the cap freed up by the losses of Modano and Draper are more than enough for that.

It's hard to see what the roster is going to look like in the future with 30 teams in the league and most of them making stupid decisions, but one can look at what is in the organization now and try and figure out what will more forward in the future. But taking a look can be interesting.

Edited by eva unit zero

Z-D-H

Cleary- Flip- Franzen

Huds- Abby- Bert

Ritola/enforcer

Kronner- Raffy

Smith- Stuart

E- Kindl

UFA/Janik/whoever

Howard

All of the bolded players are "rookies" barring injuries they will have almost no NHL experience by next season. And in regards to room for a top parring defensman, we'd have at least Lidstrom's 6.2million maybe more if the cap goes up again. I'd say we should be able to sign a solid D man.

Assuming Ritola and Kindl play this year, they would not be rookies next year. And having 3-4 rookies in lesser roles isn't a bad thing. I'd expect a top 4 defenseman if Nick retires, but other than that it looks fine.

It really depends a lot on this season, but as of now, I would expect Draper and Ozzie to retire after this year. Miller and Meech I expect will be gone by the end of camp this year, Ericsson, Howard, and Abby all to be back for 2011-12.

That gives us:

Pav, Hank, Homer, Bert, Flip, Mule, Huds, Cleary, Helm, Abby, Ritola (11) at forward

Kronwall, Stuart, Rafi, Ericsson, Kindl (5) on defense

and Howard in goal

Assuming a moderate cap increase (to $62M), Abby signing for around what Helm got, Ericsson getting a modest raise, and Howard getting around $2.5-3M, we'd have about ~$13M in cap space to fill out the roster.

We'd have Modano, Nick, Salei, Eaves, Smith, Tatar, Mursak, and McCollum as possibilities to fill some of those spots.

Give around $800k for McCollum or a vet backup, another $900k for either Tatar or Mursak, $1.5M for Eaves/UFA grinder, and we're left with around $9M for 2 d-men and possibly a 14th forward. Around $6M or so for Nick or a replacement, then ~$1M for either Smith or a UFA. I doubt Salei stays in the picture. The rest could go for Tatar/Mursak, Modano, or another cheap-ish UFA.

Ericsson, Kindl, Ritola, Cleary, Flip and maybe Stuart are possible trade candidates. But that's too hard to predict, so I'll ignore it for now.

The next year, assuming no lockout/strike and a similar cap, I'd expect:

Pav (6.7), Hank (6), Mule (4), Flip (3), Huds (4), Cleary (2.8), Helm (1.5), Abby (1.5), Eaves (1.5), Tatar (.9), Mursak (.9), Ritola (.5) (12-$33.3) at forward

Smith (.9), Kindl (.9), Ericsson (1.2), Stuart (3.5), Kronwall (4), Rafi (4), UFA (6) (7-$20.3) on defense

Howard (2.8), McCollum (.8) ($3.6) in goal for a total of around $57.5 million.

I would then expect either a top 6 forward UFA or a couple trades to add depth. So much depends on the performance of the players and what happens with the next CBA that you can't really predict much, so this probably won't be close. :)

Yes: Howard, Kronwall, Helm, Stuart, Hudler

Maybe:Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Ericsson, Miller, Eaves

No: Draper, Osgood, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Modano, Salei

Fixed.

Sign Markov from the Habs when Nick leaves.

Filppula - Finland

Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Co. - Sweden

Datsyuk - Russia

Salei or Kolosov - Belarus

Hudler, Kindl - Czech Republic

Tatar - Slovakia

Mursak - Slovenia

They need to unearth some gems from Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Latvia in order to get the whole Olympic tournament.

Z-D-H

Cleary- Flip- Franzen

Huds- Abby- Bert

Ritola/enforcer

Kronner- Raffy

Smith- Stuart

E- Kindl

UFA/Janik/whoever

Howard

It is expected that Ritola and Kindl will play the entire season with the Wings this year. If Ritola doesn't, I don't think he will ever become a regular with the Wings. I also posted that Tatar may make the team- he will have to impress to do this, and I doubt many of us will complain if he does. Having Smith up is also a toss-up, but he has the skills to make a quick jump to the NHL. The goalie predictions are tough because Howard's performance this year will have a major impact on the team's decision. The Wings can afford to have a rookie backup if he plays like last year. However, if Howard stumbles I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet (or Ozzy) signed for the 2011 season. My roster leaves a lot of cap room, so the Wings will be able to sign a D-man if needed. With Lids status uncertain, predicting the top-4 is difficult.

Filppula - Finland

Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Co. - Sweden

Datsyuk - Russia

Salei or Kolosov - Belarus

Hudler, Kindl - Czech Republic

Tatar - Slovakia

Mursak - Slovenia

They need to unearth some gems from Germany, Switzerland, Norway and Latvia in order to get the whole Olympic tournament.

The Swiss and the Norwegian programs are actually really starting to develop(Swiss moreso)... I wouldn't be surprised at all to start seeing more of those country's players work their way into the NHL over the next 10-15 years...

It is expected that Ritola and Kindl will play the entire season with the Wings this year. If Ritola doesn't, I don't think he will ever become a regular with the Wings. I also posted that Tatar may make the team- he will have to impress to do this, and I doubt many of us will complain if he does. Having Smith up is also a toss-up, but he has the skills to make a quick jump to the NHL. The goalie predictions are tough because Howard's performance this year will have a major impact on the team's decision. The Wings can afford to have a rookie backup if he plays like last year. However, if Howard stumbles I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet (or Ozzy) signed for the 2011 season. My roster leaves a lot of cap room, so the Wings will be able to sign a D-man if needed. With Lids status uncertain, predicting the top-4 is difficult.

The bigger question, what if Osgood has a 2008-style performance and Howard performs terribly? The Wings will of course sign Osgood and offer Howard a reasonable contract, but does Howard stay or does he try to force Holland to compete with the teams that might offer him more? Or perhaps another team offers Howard several million more per year for several more years, right away, and he simply walks?

i'm with you on this 90%... hopefully the wings get a lids "replacement" for about 6 mil. 7 mil for a dman leaves holland with some cap straints. i'm big on the idea of nyquist being on the team in 2 years with tatar hopefully. and in a couple years, i'm also hoping that adam almqvist graduates from GR bigtime and steps in to replace rafalski when the time comes.

The bigger question, what if Osgood has a 2008-style performance and Howard performs terribly? The Wings will of course sign Osgood and offer Howard a reasonable contract, but does Howard stay or does he try to force Holland to compete with the teams that might offer him more? Or perhaps another team offers Howard several million more per year for several more years, right away, and he simply walks?

From what I have read, Howard loves Detroit. Regardless of how Ozzy plays, I don't see him playing 55+ games with Howard on the team. If another team offers Howard significantly more than the Wings think he's worth, I don't see them trying to keep him. If the Wings lose Howard and McCollum isn't ready, I could see the Wings signing a vet to play for a year or two. Goalies are difficult to predict because their play year-to-year can change dramatically. Hopefully Howard continues to play well and the team can re-sign him at a decent price.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but at best Ritola is a 13th forward at this point, and Kindl a 7th D. Holland said they would be "given opportunity" to make the team. For as long as I have been watching the Wings that means another year in GR. That being said if any of them do make the team it will mean they earned and deserve it. Last Red Wing to skip GR and come right up was Zetterberg.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but at best Ritola is a 13th forward at this point, and Kindl a 7th D. Holland said they would be "given opportunity" to make the team. For as long as I have been watching the Wings that means another year in GR. That being said if any of them do make the team it will mean they earned and deserve it. Last Red Wing to skip GR and come right up was Zetterberg.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both players are out of AHL options. Therefore, they will have to pass through waivers to go back to GR. Both have played in GR for a couple years, so it's not like they are bypassing the minors. I would be that both Ritola and Kindl will be on the Red Wings roster (or traded) at the beginning of the season. Therefore, they will have been in Detroit for a full season and will no longer be rookies. Mursak is out of AHL options next year (again, correct me if I'm wrong), so he will likely need to make the jump to the Wings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both players are out of AHL options. Therefore, they will have to pass through waivers to go back to GR. Both have played in GR for a couple years, so it's not like they are bypassing the minors. I would be that both Ritola and Kindl will be on the Red Wings roster (or traded) at the beginning of the season. Therefore, they will have been in Detroit for a full season and will no longer be rookies. Mursak is out of AHL options next year (again, correct me if I'm wrong), so he will likely need to make the jump to the Wings.

Which places one of the expiring forward contracts (Modano, Eaves, Miller, and Draper) in the replacement spot for Mursak's spot doesn't it, and possibly a spot for Tatar as well.

Modano and Draper are expected to retire, which opens up two free spots right away doesn't it? Mursak would be expected to take whatever spot opens up if any, unless he completely bombs, so Tatar is still a couple of years off just because he's a Wing.