• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

How big of a Wings fan is your Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other?

Rate this topic

Now, my girlfriend is brand new to hockey. Never watched or attended a game in her life. She wants to learn about the game, cause you know, if you're gonna roll with Bring Back The Bruise Bros, you gotta be into the Wings :cool:

Anyway, how big of a Wings/hockey fan is your wife or girlfriend? Any good stories to be told?

Lady posters feel free to chime in on the topic :thumbup:

Discuss!

my chick is a sharks fan...and only gives a s*** about the ones who score and the cute ones. ....but it works out great because me and my buddies can go to games with or without her and she is cool!

Edited by soultrain

my girlfriend used to be a Penguins fan till we slapped them around in the 08 finals...took her to two games with me during the 2009 season and low and behold she became a huge fan of them and now plans to buy herself a Modano jersey t shirt because she likes him as a player. Little does she know that I got a Zetterberg jersey lined up for her!

After being married to a Red Wing fanatic for 20 years she can't help to be a huge fan her self. She watches a lot of games the only exception is the stinking west coast games, but she always knows what is going on in those games because some body forgets others are sleeping and yells at the tv. Not to mention my oldest played hockey from the age of 4 through 3 years of high school. Also I was his coach some of that time. So she has attended a lot of game including Muskegon hockey Grand Rapids and Red Wings games.

Edited by blgillett

Female fan, die hard. My friends and I even have a tradition that all playoff games MUST be watched by certain people in my basement. One of those moved to Florida this year (feel free to blame him for the loss, we do). Almost all of my guy friends, funny enough, hate sports and make fun of my for my hockey obsession. I was at a bar during the playoffs (after we were eliminated) and there was a fight on tv and the bartender said something about fighting being banned in the playoffs. I corrected him citing that it's only banned for instigation during the last 5 minutes of a game and everyone around me was like 'holy s***' hahaha

I mean it's common knowledge to all of us, but to non-sports fans...I thought it was funny anyway.

Also when I was living at home my mom got pissed and yelled 'When did your room turn into JLA?! Stop screaming at the TV they can't hear you!!'

Edited by Nic

Speaking as the wife of the pairing... I was a Wings fan long before I met my husband. He had little to no hockey interest or knowledge before I came along, but that quickly changed. I didn't even have to do much in the way of proselytizing, because the game is awesome enough to speak for itself! (He's tried to get me interested in college football, and it has sort of worked, but I see the football as more of a stopgap of something mildly interesting to watch through September when I'm getting really desperate for hockey.)

My girlfriend was a marching-band freak when I first got together with her. Now she's a hockey freak capable of passing moderate difficulty pop quizzes that I randomly throw at her. Her favorite player is Datsyuk, although she had a fondness for Downey when he was with us.

My wife isn't really a hockey fan, though I've gotten her Wings gear and she wears it often. She doesn't have any Detroit connections like I do so if it weren't for me, her friends would be pushing her onto the Hawks bandwagon. Luckily I'm here to inform and teach her so she now dislikes like the Hawks but still thinks Toews is cute. Not sure what to do with that.

My girlfriend can name most of the Wings and only thinks Zetterberg is hot .. She knows Mike Modano is from livonia even before he signed with the wings. She knows how big of a ***** Sid is and how much Stevie Y means to Michigan .. She absolutly hates when I watch re-plays of the games on the NHL network, but shell watch every game that im watching live.. pretty cool .. Also she doesnt understand how guys missing so many teeth can get so hot of wives/girlfriends .. and I tell its simple .. hes a hockey player ..

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ

ready for this.....

my wife was born and raised in Pittsburghscared.gif

she is knowledgable about the pens and wings, as i keep her updated. if she was not with me, she would not care what was going on with either team. but, she likes to go to games, and will watch games with me. with both pearl jam and hockey i would say "she doesn't love it, but likes it enough to enjoy it with me."

Edited by wife-wings-pearl jam

I'm lucky -- she's become a huge wings fan over the years as our relationship (and now marriage) has grown.. She graduated on the day the wings beat colorado in game 7.. so i sadly missed that awesomeness - but she's made up for it.. buys me tickets to a game around my birthday each year, we go to the joe atleast 5 times per season, since we are only 2 hours away.

watches every live game w/ me and sometimes will deal with the NHL network.

She's slowly learned the ways of buttman and cindy crosby.

My bf keeps trying to get me to watch football. He is convinced that I must have never seen it since I like hockey.

Pfft. My dad was a football coach, and I have been a hard-core Lions fan for over 4 decades. I know football. I just like hockey better.

He just doesn't understand.

My dad, on the other hand, lucked out. My mom didn't like sports, but now she's a big Wings fan. She can even carry on intelligent conversations about it, although they can be a bit vague and funny like most of her conversations.

Before we were married, my wife pretty much knew that hockey was playing on ice and they use sticks, but that was about it. About 1 month after we were married, I sat her down and we watched Miracle, then the 2002 Stanley Cup DVD, then a week later I took her to a preseason game in Tampa, and she was hooked. She watched the entire playoffs with me, even called out of work for game 5 of the Finals, and would have done a victory lap with me had she not been 6 months pregnant. We took our son to another game in Tampa when he was a month old, and she is as excited for the season to start as I am, she has been teaching extra piano lessons to save up to go to the Wings@Lightning game this year. I really lucked out.

Before we were married, my wife pretty much knew that hockey was playing on ice and they use sticks, but that was about it. About 1 month after we were married, I sat her down and we watched Miracle, then the 2002 Stanley Cup DVD, then a week later I took her to a preseason game in Tampa, and she was hooked. She watched the entire playoffs with me, even called out of work for game 5 of the Finals, and would have done a victory lap with me had she not been 6 months pregnant. We took our son to another game in Tampa when he was a month old, and she is as excited for the season to start as I am, she has been teaching extra piano lessons to save up to go to the Wings@Lightning game this year. I really lucked out.

I love your wean-on strategy.

My wife will come to games with me, but she isn't really into watching games on TV or listening on the radio.

Same thing with my girlfriend, except during the playoffs - she'll watch games then. She also got kind of into Team USA during the Winter Olympics.

My Fiance and I both love hockey and the Red Wings to us there is no better date night then going out to watch a game and having a couple of drinks. For the first Valentines Day we were together we ordered pizza and watched a Wings game. I knew right then she was the one :wub:

I love your wean-on strategy.

Thanks, I didn;t really plan it that way, but I saw that the Wings would be in Tampa that preseason and I really wanted to go, and my wife wasn't too enthusiastic because she knew nothing about the game, so I had those 2 DVDs and asked if she wanted to watch them to learn more. Boy am I glad I did, now she shows my son the Stanley Cup DVDs (2002 & 2008) and one of his first words was hockey.

My fiancee didn't know anything about hockey until this last season, when she watched a lot of games with me. She wasn't really intrigued until I took her to the Joe to see a game against the Sharks. The energy and atmosphere at the Joe really drew her in, and she has been really getting into hockey ever since. She was not a sports person at all until she met me, and now we have season tickets for Michigan football together and she just told me the other day that we should go to a couple Wings' games this year...I love her. :D

My fiancee didn't know anything about hockey until this last season, when she watched a lot of games with me. She wasn't really intrigued until I took her to the Joe to see a game against the Sharks. The energy and atmosphere at the Joe really drew her in, and she has been really getting into hockey ever since. She was not a sports person at all until she met me, and now we have season tickets for Michigan football together and she just told me the other day that we should go to a couple Wings' games this year...I love her. :D

I'm going to try that this year with my wife. We've been to Wings/Hawks games at the UC but she's never been to the Joe. I keep telling her its a completely different feeling and experience than watching it here.

My girlfriend, as much as she hates this fact, was born and raised in Michigan, which i beleive already puts a person at pretty high risk of being exposed to hockey early on in life. Her dad was always into hockey so she was always exposed to it and understood the game fairly well before we met. She also dated a kid that played hockey in high school so she would go to his games then as well. When we finally got together it was during the lockout season, so when we first got together she didnt understand the obsesssion i had. Luckily once hockey started back up, i eased her into the obsession. Thank god she had already been exposed to the sport or else the shock of the experience may have steered her away from me. She was always a moderate fan, but now she is what you would call a superfan, so it works out pretty well for me. Granted, she is a women, so sometimes she does pick her favorite players because due to how "pretty" the players are, but she also takes into account their hockey ability. Zetterberg is her favorite player which should be pretty obvious from that description (pretty and plays like a god). I think the best story to show how big of a fan she has become would involve a trip to comerica park a few years back when players from the red wings played a softball game against former Detroit Tigers. We were decked out in our wings gear and sitting about 3 rows back on the first base side. I was video taping as the players were warming up and all of a sudden Zetterberg walked out of the dugout and walked right by us infront of us. I of course and catching him on my camera trying to get his attention and to get him to wave, but as he passes by my camera pans over to my girlfriend who is shaking and crying out of mere excitement like an 11 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. She's embarassed by that story because she hates girls that do that kind of thing, but she couldnt stop she was so excited/overwhelmed at the mere site of him. Since then, we have met Zetterberg and many other players face to face and she has not had the same reaction so she has learned to contain herself, but as you can tell she is quite the fan.

She also posts on these boards, but hopefully she wont see this and yell at me for posting haha

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer