Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How big of a Wings fan is your Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 h2obury

h2obury

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

My Fiance and I both love hockey and the Red Wings to us there is no better date night then going out to watch a game and having a couple of drinks. For the first Valentines Day we were together we ordered pizza and watched a Wings game. I knew right then she was the one :wub:
"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~Gordie Howe

#22 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

I love your wean-on strategy.

Thanks, I didn;t really plan it that way, but I saw that the Wings would be in Tampa that preseason and I really wanted to go, and my wife wasn't too enthusiastic because she knew nothing about the game, so I had those 2 DVDs and asked if she wanted to watch them to learn more. Boy am I glad I did, now she shows my son the Stanley Cup DVDs (2002 & 2008) and one of his first words was hockey.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#23 AARedWingFan

AARedWingFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

My fiancee didn't know anything about hockey until this last season, when she watched a lot of games with me. She wasn't really intrigued until I took her to the Joe to see a game against the Sharks. The energy and atmosphere at the Joe really drew her in, and she has been really getting into hockey ever since. She was not a sports person at all until she met me, and now we have season tickets for Michigan football together and she just told me the other day that we should go to a couple Wings' games this year...I love her. :D

#24 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

My fiancee didn't know anything about hockey until this last season, when she watched a lot of games with me. She wasn't really intrigued until I took her to the Joe to see a game against the Sharks. The energy and atmosphere at the Joe really drew her in, and she has been really getting into hockey ever since. She was not a sports person at all until she met me, and now we have season tickets for Michigan football together and she just told me the other day that we should go to a couple Wings' games this year...I love her. :D

I'm going to try that this year with my wife. We've been to Wings/Hawks games at the UC but she's never been to the Joe. I keep telling her its a completely different feeling and experience than watching it here.

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed

#25 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

My girlfriend, as much as she hates this fact, was born and raised in Michigan, which i beleive already puts a person at pretty high risk of being exposed to hockey early on in life. Her dad was always into hockey so she was always exposed to it and understood the game fairly well before we met. She also dated a kid that played hockey in high school so she would go to his games then as well. When we finally got together it was during the lockout season, so when we first got together she didnt understand the obsesssion i had. Luckily once hockey started back up, i eased her into the obsession. Thank god she had already been exposed to the sport or else the shock of the experience may have steered her away from me. She was always a moderate fan, but now she is what you would call a superfan, so it works out pretty well for me. Granted, she is a women, so sometimes she does pick her favorite players because due to how "pretty" the players are, but she also takes into account their hockey ability. Zetterberg is her favorite player which should be pretty obvious from that description (pretty and plays like a god). I think the best story to show how big of a fan she has become would involve a trip to comerica park a few years back when players from the red wings played a softball game against former Detroit Tigers. We were decked out in our wings gear and sitting about 3 rows back on the first base side. I was video taping as the players were warming up and all of a sudden Zetterberg walked out of the dugout and walked right by us infront of us. I of course and catching him on my camera trying to get his attention and to get him to wave, but as he passes by my camera pans over to my girlfriend who is shaking and crying out of mere excitement like an 11 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. She's embarassed by that story because she hates girls that do that kind of thing, but she couldnt stop she was so excited/overwhelmed at the mere site of him. Since then, we have met Zetterberg and many other players face to face and she has not had the same reaction so she has learned to contain herself, but as you can tell she is quite the fan.

She also posts on these boards, but hopefully she wont see this and yell at me for posting haha

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer, 18 August 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#26 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

My blow up doll can't get enough hockey.

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

My girlfriend doesn't understand the obsession yet. The thing that really drove her nuts was the playoff beard last playoffs. I explained it, and she understood, but still didn't like it :P

The only things she really knows is Avery is a pansie and Crosby is a whiny little *****. So she's getting there :) She also knows about Probert, and understands how much his passing meant to the hockey community. RIP Probie

She hasn't picked out a favorite player yet, I'm thinking this year she will :)
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Am jealous. Why am I stuck with the only guy I know who couldn't care less about sports?? My bf thinks I am certifiable and need serious meds/counseling when it comes to hockey. I have Center Ice and will watch like 5 games a day and he just shakes his head. And ... get this ... he is originally FROM CANADA!! Oh well, hopefully he never makes me choose or hes SOL. :P
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#29 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Am jealous. Why am I stuck with the only guy I know who couldn't care less about sports?? My bf thinks I am certifiable and need serious meds/counseling when it comes to hockey. I have Center Ice and will watch like 5 games a day and he just shakes his head. And ... get this ... he is originally FROM CANADA!! Oh well, hopefully he never makes me choose or hes SOL. :P

Hmmm, orignally from Canada, transplanted to Michigan and still doesnt give two s***s about hockey....you need to take away his man card along with his green card if you ask me...

#30 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

sounds like you need a new BF
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#31 taxijim

taxijim

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

My wife never gave a rat's ass about hockey (I would be weeping openly watching a gold metal hockey victory & she wouldn't give a second look). However,that all changed in 2008 when a local kid whose parents we know well was called up to the Wings. She immediatley became interested & as the kid won a regular shift & the Wings went to win the Cup, she never missed a moment. It got so good that she approved me buying the NHL center ice package so we could watch every game last season. She wants to buy NHL CI again this year & was just commenting how she can hardly wait for the season to begin.She says she misses Ken Daniels & Micky Redmond & even Doc Emry. The kid is Darren Helm & I can never thank him enough!!

#32 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

My wife would probably fit in the category of casual fan. She knows the names of the top players and Detroit and the Joe Louis Arena are special places to us because we got engaged after a Wings game in a hotel not far from the Joe. But she doesn't watch the games with me because she says I'm "too intense" and when the Pens play the Wings I always hear, "You live in Pittsburgh. You should be cheering for the Penguins!" She doesn't like the pressure of being a Wings fan in Pittsburgh. All her friends are (bandwagon) Pens fans and she doesn't want to be the odd one out. After 24 years of being a fan, I'm used to the me against the world scenario. :cool:

#33 DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

I am divorced enough said, no she liked hockey but did not know to much about it, she never did understand yelling at the refs through the TV :D

#34 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

she tolerates it. she understands that, it's just a fact of life. and when May, June comes around, she does cartwheels! She's happy to see it over.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

My blow up doll can't get enough hockey.

At least she won't ask you questions about icing, and offsides.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

My wife would probably fit in the category of casual fan. She knows the names of the top players and Detroit and the Joe Louis Arena are special places to us because we got engaged after a Wings game in a hotel not far from the Joe. But she doesn't watch the games with me because she says I'm "too intense" and when the Pens play the Wings I always hear, "You live in Pittsburgh. You should be cheering for the Penguins!" She doesn't like the pressure of being a Wings fan in Pittsburgh. All her friends are (bandwagon) Pens fans and she doesn't want to be the odd one out. After 24 years of being a fan, I'm used to the me against the world scenario. :cool:

I'd hope my wife is smart enough not to say that to me ;)

She's worn her Wings stuff out and been yelled out and taunted by Squawks fans, I just keep telling her that thats why its important we beat them every single time we play them.

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed

#37 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Wow. I must be the luckiest man on earth. I am crazy hockey addicted... and she's worse than me. She could tell you all 4 lines and defensive pairings of the 90s thru today, the numbers they wore, and how many points they got. She could tell you who we traded to get Kyle Calder.... as obscure as that is. She's been a hockey fan longer Than me and she's younger, but I credit that to her being a 'gander and I'm a Chicago native. She's an active poster here and has been for years. I've had to go to such lengths as to hold her back from jumping over the glass at western Michigan games when we played Ohio state. I love it, her, and wouldn't have it any other way. Its part of why we moved back from San Francisco... so we can go to more home games!
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#38 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

My last gf didn't really care. Hence one of the reasons things didn't work out. :rolleyes:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

my wife likes Ovechkin cause he's always excited and fun to watch...and cause he looks like a caveman. she finds him humourous.

i think she's starting to become a bit of a wings fan, but she often claims she hates hockey due to the fact that the general perception people have is hockey means more to me than anything and that i ignore her...

that's not really fair though...i only ignore EVERYTHING and EVERYONE during Wings games! :lol:

she's coming around though.

we went to brandon to see the wheat kings pound the regina pats. she had a great time at that game.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler, 18 August 2010 - 11:58 AM.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#40 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

Instead of my girlfriend putting her actual name into my list of contacts when I got my new phone, she put her name as "Zetterberg's Girl" That probably tells you all you need to know.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.