• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

How big of a Wings fan is your Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other?

Rate this topic

My wife and I got our engagement photos in Red Wings gear.

She refused to watch most of the games in 09-10 because she was finishing her last year of nursing school and said she couldn't afford to be emotionally distracted.

She's almost too emotionally involved because it gets to the point where she doesn't even want to watch if its an important game and the Wings aren't dominating.

It's fantastic :D

Seeing as I'm a chick and therefore have neither a wife nor a girlfriend, I can speak only for myself and I'd say I'm a pretty big fan. I watch/listen to as many games as I can, I post regularly here during the season/post-season and try to keep up with NHL news as much as possible.

She's an Oilers fan, bless her soul. Not one of those who need to watch every game, but enough to know where they are in the standings and who the top couple of players are.

Most of the last 13 years with her have been fun, but that one year... :ranting:

EDIT: I should also mention she hates Crosby almost as much as I do. HATES the commercials with him, etc.

Edited by mjlegend

Set it right up on the tee for these boys at LGW hehe.gif

Haha, guess I kinda did, didn't I? :blush: Well, since it's too late to be demure, I also like watching sunsets and long walks on the beach. :D (Too bad that's not true...I can't remember the last time I went to the beach. Worst Californian ever right here.)

My current girlfriend calls them quarters. Yeah, she's a Pistons fan more than anything, so I don't quite fault her for the terminology error :hehe:

:lol: I have the opposite problem as your girlfirends...I was saying something about the 7th period of a baseball game the other day, and my mom started cracking up. I like baseball okay, but I readily admit I know diddly squat about it.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

My wife is a pretty casual fan and does a pretty good job understanding my fanaticism.

She does enjoy going to live games a lot, but rarely will get into a game on TV.

Knows most of the players on the Wings, but very few from other teams, asides from Crosby of course... whom she hates. Steve Yzerman is still "A beautiful man, like Johnny Depp, but with scars".

She's ben hit on by Darren McCarty and knew who he was.... but she did not know who Brett Lebda was when he hit on her ("a drunk, short, hairy, greasey guy" He had to actually tell her who he was) :hehe:

Seeing as I'm a chick and therefore have neither a wife nor a girlfriend, I can speak only for myself and I'd say I'm a pretty big fan. I watch/listen to as many games as I can, I post regularly here during the season/post-season and try to keep up with NHL news as much as possible.

you're a girl???? This whole time I thought you were just a chemistry/physics/Red Wings loving male. My world just got flipped-turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the price of a town called Bel Air.

my wife is from smithfield, north carolina (i'm from jackson, mi., and moved down here for a teaching job) and knows very, very little about hockey. she's very cute about it. she once asked if Mick Libstrom was having a good season.

Her mother thinks hockey is played outdoors with a ball.

Guest hock91

you're a girl???? This whole time I thought you were just a chemistry/physics/Red Wings loving male. My world just got flipped-turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the price of a town called Bel Air.

That post made me feel tingly inside :hehe:

I know, I know. It's shocking.

Not dating anyone but when the playoffs were going on, I had a thing with this girl and everytime the Wings were playing I would text her about the game. Not sure if she liked it or not but she put up with it. I think once I said "oh you probably don't care" and she reply saying "It's making you happy so I would love to hear more about the game."

Story of my life.. lol

I'm not currently dating now, but I was during the last half of the regular season and the playoffs. Seeing as I have to download every game I see I usually watched 2 sometimes 3 games in a row, and it would drive her crazy.

But not so crazy as during the playoffs when my hockey obsession takes all over and I try to watch every game from every series in addition to work. She almost threw a fit when I put on a Red Wings t-shirt (Lidström) and said I would be wearing it out in public with her.

It's pretty hard to understand for girls here where hockey has a very low following, and most that follow hockey picks teams from the Norwegian league and don't really know that much about the NHL. I couldn't care less about our domestic league, only Wings and the NHL matter to me.

I've read all the posts here so far and I'm dreaming hard to find a girl that actually wants to take 10 hours of flying to Detroit with me just to watch hockey.

So far I've only seen two games in person, both losses (Stockholm games) and I went alone. The Wings come first, everytime! :)

My wife and her family are from Chicago, and her dad is a hardcore Hawks fan, from back in the early 60's. So, while she is kind of a Hawks fan... even she hates how Hawks fans are acting. She liked the Hawks TEAM... but not their fans. And living with her, I began to like the Hawks TEAM as well. Besides, Quenville has always been my favourite non-Wings coach. Seeing as he's from Windsor, like me.

She's more of a White Sox fan anyways, but we've made an agreement that I'll watch White Sox games with her(and I loathe baseball... it's so slow) and she'll watch Wings games with me.

Even she thinks Zetterberg is hot though...

I am so sorry.

I've replied already, but I can expand. My girlfriend isn't huge on watching games on TV unless they're playoff games. She can enjoy it a lot more when there's "something on the line". We have partial season tickets to the Griffins, though, and she loves it. I'm going to buy her a Jimmy Howard t-shirt before the season starts. Between her love of goaltenders (she was all-state in high school soccer) and Jimmy's former status as a Griffin, it's the perfect combination!

Little did I know, during the '08/'09 playoffs she actually watched games without me being around (we were long distance) and grew pretty fond of Ozzie. She told me she didn't want me to get her a Howard jersey if he was going to be delegated to back-up like her other favorite player. She also brought up the fact that when we move out of Michigan in the next year or so, we're going to have to get Center Ice.

Now if I can just get her into the Tigers.

Well since I have my GF in my avatar pic with me, yes she is a huge wings fan. her whole family is from the UP so they are all wings fans so she naturally has picked up watching them pretty easily. Me and her dad get along just fine too cause he's a big wings fan. Its definitely a perk to not fight over the TV when the wings are on when she wants to watch the games and not only watches the games, but gets into the games. The moment she made the jump from casual fan to hardcore fan was after game 3 overtime loss last year against the sharks and she was more pissed about the game than I was.

This thread is chock full of shocking things. Who knew a town called Bel Air was so cheap?

(And then I left the h out of chock. That would be another shocking thing.)

Aww thanks for the sympathy you guys. Since we don't live together, it hasn't become a huge problem. He doesn't get my hockey obsession and I don't get his taste in music (and I use the term loosely). So he can go off to all the Dragonforce concerts he likes and leave me alone with my NHL Network and Center Ice.

GO WINGS!!

Edited by FedorovGurl

My girl was a Rangers fan before last season. She didn't know much about hockey at all but said she went to a couple Ranger games since she has spent most her life living in New York so she considered herself a Ranger fan. Well by the end of the season I had converted her. When we moved in I told her that if the Wings were playing the TV was on that channel. She started watching all the games with me starting in November. Said Bertuzzi was handsome for about two weeks until she finally saw a close up of his mouth. Called him Bertuchi for a while to. I never corrected her on that because it was funny as hell when shed say it. After Game 5 vs Phoenix ended I went into the computer room to check LGW and 10 minutes later I come back out and she says "I decided I really want to go to a Wings game so I bought us tickets for game 6". Conversion complete lol

my chick is a sharks fan...and only gives a s*** about the ones who score and the cute ones. ....but it works out great because me and my buddies can go to games with or without her and she is cool!

lol if it wasn't for Z my gf wouldnt know what hockey is!!! on the plus side she hates Crosby

I started seeing my current GF right around playoff time this year and I told her that I would not miss games and I get crazy superstitious during that time and bless her heart she put up with it and she's not a hockey fan at all. In summary not a fan but puts up with it.