• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

His best season was in 06 where he scored 18 goals and 37 points.

Since then his production and games played have steadily gone down. Last season he was a -16 in 40 games, a career worst.

This guy is a bargain buy. Nothing much to see from this signing, good or bad.

Yeah but look what team he was on.

#22 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

I hate it when people talk about a signing by pointing out how a player played 4 or 5 seasons ago. Seriously? He may very well be good, I don't know. But when I hear "if so and so plays the way they did back in '06 or '07 (or even '03 I've heard), it's a good signing" that indicates that player has done nothing since then.

How is pointing out previous success and ability in any way guaranteeing it to be a good signing? I was simply saying that before his injuries he was an effective third line player, and despite what the past few years have shown, it's not really out of the realm of possibility for him to return to part of his previous form. If the Wing's had had that mindset on players like Larry Murphy, Patrick Eaves or Dan Cleary, none would have become Wings. Seeing as the Hawks are essentially giving him AHL money, I fail to see how this is a bad signing in any way, as the rewards far outweigh the risks. No one said that they expected him to score 14 goals in 24 games like he did in the playoffs.

If he can get his disease in check, he could very well be a good bottom 6 forward far more capable of any of the other AHL scrubs. Despite his horrific 5 on 5 stats, he WAS Edmonton's best forward PKer last year.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 18 August 2010 - 07:25 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#23 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

I hate it when people talk about a signing by pointing out how a player played 4 or 5 seasons ago. Seriously? He may very well be good, I don't know. But when I hear "if so and so plays the way they did back in '06 or '07 (or even '03 I've heard), it's a good signing" that indicates that player has done nothing since then.

The disease has made him a shadow of his former self. He was a good pest and plucky winger in his day, but that day is long gone. Kind of sad for both parties that this is what the Hawks are reduced to signing with all their cap troubles.

My prediction on his line at the end of the year: 35 games, two goals, four assists, seven points, 12 PIM.

At least he'll get to take part in the Cup banner raising.

When you're part of a team, you have to take part of the blame for a team's failure as you would credit for its success.

The Oilers were a bad team because they had no chemistry in their top six and no grit and desire in their bottom six. Their defence was laughable and their goaltending atrocious, aside from a few good early games from Khabby.

#24 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

He was 25th of 33 players in that category. And only played half the season.

All I'm saying is Pisani's value is at an all time low, so I don't think of this signing as anything more than a long shot to bring back a guy who once had a great playoff performance at a dirt cheap price.

Posted Image

#25 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

It seems like if he stays healthy he should be a decent enough fourth line plug. Seems like a big if though.

Are they gonna go after Cheechoo next?

#26 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

His best season was in 06 where he scored 18 goals and 37 points.

Since then his production and games played have steadily gone down. Last season he was a -16 in 40 games, a career worst.

This guy is a bargain buy. Nothing much to see from this signing, good or bad.

No one is saying he'll be a superstar. But at league minimum he is a good signing for a team whose bottom 6 is otherwise full of rookies and Kopecky.
Posted Image

#27 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

No one is saying he'll be a superstar. But at league minimum he is a good signing for a team whose bottom 6 is otherwise full of rookies and Kopecky.

I thought Kopecky is in the top six with his buddy Hossa?

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

Oh noes. Stanley Cup repeat!!!!

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

who else sees Cheechoo-Emery-Pisani fourth line... I have a feeling Ray Emery would be a great center... this feeling of course is souly based on my sick carny since of humor, but not withstanding, STRONG CORE. :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

I haven't kept up with Pisani in the past few years, but if he still plays anything like he did with Edmonton in 06 playoffs, he's a good bargain at 500k. Nice bottom 6 player who can do a little if everything. I'd rather have him at 500k then Miller or Eaves at 850k.

Wow. I can't believe some of the mentality here.

Eaves scored 22 points in 65 games last season and was one of Wings best PKers. Miller scored 19 points in 66 games with the Wings and was one of the best PKers. Pisani's big accomplishment was he was healthy enough to plays 40 games last season and was minus 16.

You're insane if you truly believe what you wrote.

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Would Chicago rather have Eaves or Pisani?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

How is pointing out previous success and ability in any way guaranteeing it to be a good signing? I was simply saying that before his injuries he was an effective third line player, and despite what the past few years have shown, it's not really out of the realm of possibility for him to return to part of his previous form. If the Wing's had had that mindset on players like Larry Murphy, Patrick Eaves or Dan Cleary, none would have become Wings. Seeing as the Hawks are essentially giving him AHL money, I fail to see how this is a bad signing in any way, as the rewards far outweigh the risks. No one said that they expected him to score 14 goals in 24 games like he did in the playoffs.

If he can get his disease in check, he could very well be a good bottom 6 forward far more capable of any of the other AHL scrubs. Despite his horrific 5 on 5 stats, he WAS Edmonton's best forward PKer last year.

holy back-peddle batman!

on the first page you were gushing about how much of a steal it was and how you would prefer him to eaves or miller. yet then when people call you out on the absurdity of the statement, you try to play semantics and pretend you never said things. worst of all you basically admit you haven't watched the guy in several years, yet you then go on to pretend you know all about his career. make up your mind!

IMO, this signing may be a slight upgrade over some random AHL guy, but certainly not anything noteworthy. and definitely not the type of great signing multiple posters on the first page claimed. the guy has put up maltby like numbers the last couple years and we all know how popular he is around here...

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

I hope the Pisani family can get the money together so their son can play in Chicago this season.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

He was 25th of 33 players in that category. And only played half the season.

To be fair, you should remove the guys that played 5 games and had a better +/-.

If you take all the players on the team that played in at least 37 games (gotta get Souray in there), there are 21 players, with Pisani finishing right in the middle. His +/- was worse than 10 guys and better than 10 guys.

There is no question that this guy's value has plummeted do to his bad luck in the health department, but there is also no question that there is potential for the contract to be an absolute bargain. Seriously, he couldn't have signed for any less than he did, so how can it be anything other than a potential bargain.

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

It could be a bargain. Will it end up being an absolute steal? I doubt it, considering his history with health problems.

#36 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

holy back-peddle batman!

on the first page you were gushing about how much of a steal it was and how you would prefer him to eaves or miller. yet then when people call you out on the absurdity of the statement, you try to play semantics and pretend you never said things. worst of all you basically admit you haven't watched the guy in several years, yet you then go on to pretend you know all about his career. make up your mind!

IMO, this signing may be a slight upgrade over some random AHL guy, but certainly not anything noteworthy. and definitely not the type of great signing multiple posters on the first page claimed. the guy has put up maltby like numbers the last couple years and we all know how popular he is around here...

Holy poor reading comprehension batman.

I said it was a potential steal if he could regain a certain form of play. Don't see what the big deal is.
Victory Honda Forever.

#37 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

It's not a good signing though. It's desperation. They need plugs to ice a team, and they figure "why not, maybe he can stay healthy and somehow revert back in age and performance 4 years. It's just a signing. No good, no bad. It's no strategy, he was probably the one who returned their calls.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#38 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

AleAlejandro AleAlejandro

Fernando

Pisipisani Pisipisani

Fernando

#39 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

It's not a good signing though. It's desperation. They need plugs to ice a team, and they figure "why not, maybe he can stay healthy and somehow revert back in age and performance 4 years. It's just a signing. No good, no bad. It's no strategy, he was probably the one who returned their calls.

So you honestly think that Pisani at 500k is no better then an AHL plug at 500k? The whole possibility of him reverting into a good player alone makes this a good signing, as the Hawks are virtually out nothing, and potentially getting a player worth far more then 500k. I know you can't really say if a signing was good or bad until the contract is up in hindsight, but us as fans should be allowed to note that a move could be potentially good, even if it was done by ....*gasp*... the Hawks. This signing reminds me a lot of the Dan Cleary and Patrick Eaves signings, and fans should not be vindicated for seeing what the Hawks were hoping in it.
Victory Honda Forever.

#40 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Jason Gregor twitter:

"Pisani signs with the Hawks. One way deal for $500,000. He told me the Hawks want him in a checking role but will get other chances as well."