• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Jim Nill: Jakub Kindl 'should fit in well with us'

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

I know most of us read all the detroit papers but I hope it works out for Kindl, because no matter how you look at it wings eventually needs to get younger, and insert high end youth players to get nhl experience, because the lidstroms etc won't be here for much longer

The Red Wings are about to integrate a new young defenseman, one who they thought so highly of five years ago they drafted him in the first round.

Jakub Kindl, 23, can no longer be sent to the minors without being exposed on waivers, which guarantees he has got a job in Detroit when training camp opens next month because the Wings won't risk losing him. He's slotted to be the seventh defenseman, the one who'll be called upon in case of injuries.

What will he bring to the lineup?

According to assistant general manager Jim Nill, who has watched Kindl closely since picking him 19th overall in 2005, Kindl brings the sort of skills the Wings love to have on the back end.

"He's a puck moving defenseman, he has good passing skills -- that's his strength," Nill said. "Like any young player coming into our system, he's had to learn how play in his own end, get the puck out quick, and not get beat in his own end."

Kindl had 30 assists among 33 points in 73 games last season with Grand Rapids. He went from a minus-34 in 2007-08, to a minus-14 in 2008-09 to a minus-4 last season .

Last season was the first time he made an appearance with the Wings, going without a point in the three games he played in December.

While he has got good size at 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, he isn't the punishing type, but his skills hint at the potential to be a future second-pairing guy.

"He's not going to wow you with a big shot, and he's not physical," Nill said. "He'll battle for loose pucks, but he's not run people over, he's not a Nik Kronwall type of defenseman. His strength is his ability to move the puck, and that should fit in well with us."

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Jimmy Nill doesn't sound all that excited about him.

They will insert him slowly and let him gainup the much needed confidence

I know most of us read all the detroit papers but I hope it works out for Kindl, because no matter how you look at it wings eventually needs to get younger, and insert high end youth players to get nhl experience, because the lidstroms etc won't be here for much longer

omg we have more than one of him?!

No but really, Nill doesn't seem that high on him, rather that he is out of options and he hopes Kindl turns out well.

This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone know what number he will wear if he makes the team? What number did he wear with his 3 game stint call up last season? I know alot of times when players get called up they dont have a choice as to what number they get, and they change it when they get a full time spot. Just wondering what number he wears currently or will be looking to wear if he makes the team. Just curious.

This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone know what number he will wear if he makes the team? What number did he wear with his 3 game stint call up last season? I know alot of times when players get called up they dont have a choice as to what number they get, and they change it when they get a full time spot. Just wondering what number he wears currently or will be looking to wear if he makes the team. Just curious.

Whatever he wears, I just hope he stays away from 22.

At 6'3, I hope he picks up more from Stuart/Kronwall then Lidstrom. Trying to duplicate perfect is hard, and doesnt always work (Ericsson last season), just making smart plays and being physical is alot easier. I wish him luck, we could use a solid young d-man to supplant Lidstrom and Rafalski when there time comes.

They will insert him slowly and let him gain up the much needed confidence

This is exactly what they'll do. I'm kind of hoping he ends up being one of those players that plays better when he has higher-end talent around him. He's very mobile, has strong passes and has a decent shot from the point when need be. There was a quote about him a few years ago: "He's better when he has less time with the puck because he does it on instinct — he just moves it quickly." He'll have to move the puck more on instinct at the NHL level, because his time and space will be taken away.

If he can get some confidence back in him, he could play pretty well. Somewhere down the line, I'd like to see he and Ericsson play together effectively. Right now it would be a nightmare, but it was a solid projection a few years ago.

Guest CaliWingsNut

omg we have more than one of him?!

no... but sometimes he plays like we do! yowza.gif

It's sad, but the one thing that stood out from that article for me was that he's over 6 feet tall and over 200 pounds, but he's not physical.

Yep, should fit in well with us.

His physical game, which wasn't all the great to begin with when he first came over, has even toned down since then. At the same time though he managed to be a -4 last year, which is really good for him. So... I guess he's going with that route in terms of playing better.

I don't think everyone should toss him under the bus just yet. He's got a lot of raw talent. If people here care to remember, Howard wasn't very good at the AHL level either.

Let the guy play before you crucify him.

If he can get some confidence back in him, he could play pretty well. Somewhere down the line, I'd like to see he and Ericsson play together effectively. Right now it would be a nightmare, but it was a solid projection a few years ago.

I hope that the two of them can eventually improve to be the second pairing. Both have the raw potential to be up there... but if it comes out or not is yet to be seen.

Probably eventually we'll have (from what I understand around here)

Smith - ??? (Kronwall perhaps?)

E - Kindl

With all due respect Lebda is a much better player.

:shocking::shocking:

It's scary, but at the moment, that's pretty much true. He has no defensive abilities whatsoever, so we can only help that he improves his defensive game.

He wore #46 with the Wings and my guess is that he will keep the same number since it is available.

Guest Stolberg

A 7th d-man spending a good portion of the season in the press box? Why, that's unheard of!

A 7th d-man spending a good portion of the season in the press box? Why, that's unheard of!

Unfortunately, the way the injury bug hit us last year, it was unheard of.

Here's to a better year. :beerbuddy: