• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hillbillywingsfan

What We Learned: The Hockey News 2010-11 Yearbook

Rate this topic

DETROIT RED WINGS

THN Prediction: 3rd in Western Conference

What We Learned: That Pavel Datsyuk can have 70 points in 80 games his lowest total as an NHLer and 27 fewer than each of the previous two seasons and still stay at No. 4 in THN's Top 50 Players rankings. Datsyuk's game is more than scoring, but if Eric Staal drops from eighth to 33rd by dropping off five points in 12 fewer games in 2009-10, than Datsyuk should at least slide a bit, especially with the Red Wings suffering their worst regular season is ages.

wow talk about an unbiased post about the wings.

Cory Lavalette happens to be the team writer for guess which team? jealous much hahahah

From The Rink

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

wow talk about an unbiased post about the wings.

Cory Lavalette happens to be the team writer for guess which team? jealous much hahahah

From The Rink

Seriously, comparing Staal to Datsyuk ? I stopped reading after that statement was made. Did it forget to mention Datsyuk points total was due to the fact the entire team was injured all last season pretty much ? of course not, I mean that wouldn't have anything to do with it.... right ?

Edited by darkmanx

Seriously, comparing Staal to Datsyuk ? I stopped reading after that statement was made. Did it forget to mention Datsyuk points total was due to the fact the entire team was injured all last season pretty much ? of course not, I mean that wouldn't have anything to do with it.... right ?

huh?

What We Learned: That Pavel Datsyuk can have 70 points in 80 games — his lowest total as an NHLer and 27 fewer than each of the previous two seasons — and still stay at No. 4 in THN's Top 50 Players rankings. Datsyuk's game is more than scoring, but if Eric Staal drops from eighth to 33rd by dropping off five points in 12 fewer games in 2009-10, than Datsyuk should at least slide a bit, especially with the Red Wings suffering their worst regular season is ages.

You should have kept reading.

Ummm, to me it looks like he is giving Datsyuk some props... Staal amasses a few less points than previous seasons and he drops immensely, but Datsyuk drops a lot of points but still stays near the top because of other aspects of his game and the writer acknowledges that Datsyuk is more of an elite player than Staal is.

I had to laugh at the Leafs section:

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

THN Prediction: 12th in Eastern Conference

What We Learned: That if things go as predicted, Brian Burke will be screaming all summer (again) that he would do the Phil Kessel trade over again and that the undrafted free agents they sign are as good as high draft picks. In the meantime, Boston will be adding another top-five pick to their prospect pool.

Boston's going to win a Stanley Cup soon, thanks to a lot of help from the Maple Leafs.

Have a listen to THN staffer Rory Boylen has to say about our boys at about 2:15 during this one...

http://video.thehockeynews.com/mediadetail/3106995

Frankie says relax

Oh, and he also put out a '5 Players to Watch' article that the Flip lovers should find interesting...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34786-The-Boylen-Point-Five-players-to-watch-in-201011.html

Edited by BleedRed&White

Ummm, to me it looks like he is giving Datsyuk some props... Staal amasses a few less points than previous seasons and he drops immensely, but Datsyuk drops a lot of points but still stays near the top because of other aspects of his game and the writer acknowledges that Datsyuk is more of an elite player than Staal is.

Thats what i got out of it too. I thought he was respecting Datsyuk not bashing him.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

How dare he insituate that Datsyuk was not one of the top 4 best skaters in the leauge last season... seriously the nerve :rolleyes:.

Face it, everyone's entitlted to their own opinion and I am sure if you really think back at how he played in the regular season you cannot say with a straight face that he was as dominant as years past. He was still great, and easily a game breaking player, but if you think that he was among the 4 best players in the league last season, you are delusional. That's not to say he was a bad, or even should be anywhere close to the 30s as the guy comparing him to Stall suggested, but seriously guys lets get our blinders off here... he had a bad season, and if you don't belive me go re-read GDTs. You could tell he was tired, worn out, and for a portion of the season disinterested for a stretch of 20 or so games from December-Febuary.

How dare he insituate that Datsyuk was not one of the top 4 best skaters in the leauge last season... seriously the nerve :rolleyes:.

Face it, everyone's entitlted to their own opinion and I am sure if you really think back at how he played in the regular season you cannot say with a straight face that he was as dominant as years past. He was still great, and easily a game breaking player, but if you think that he was among the 4 best players in the league last season, you are delusional. That's not to say he was a bad, or even should be anywhere close to the 30s as the guy comparing him to Stall suggested, but seriously guys lets get our blinders off here... he had a bad season, and if you don't belive me go re-read GDTs. You could tell he was tired, worn out, and for a portion of the season disinterested for a stretch of 20 or so games from December-Febuary.

Honestly, I'm surprised he is at 4th. For a long time there, he looked so disinterested in the game, especially when it was practically him and a bunch of AHL'ers.

wth are you talking about? thats not even where i was heading with this thread. the dude is the hurricanes team writer and knowing that and if you read what he put about us more slowly you can feel the bias that hes doing...it had nothing to do thinking dats should be rated higher or any of that.....slow your roll there buddy=) i thought it was funny to see what he put then seeing who he writes for thats it. nothing more. hahaha.

what i got was he was saying if staal drops then so should dats.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Have a listen to THN staffer Rory Boylen has to say about our boys at about 2:15 during this one...

http://video.thehockeynews.com/mediadetail/3106995

Frankie says relax

Oh, and he also put out a '5 Players to Watch' article that the Flip lovers should find interesting...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34786-The-Boylen-Point-Five-players-to-watch-in-201011.html

We can’t win the cup because our goaltending isn’t good enough and we are too old........hmmmmmmm......now i know I’ve heard that somewhere before.............oh yeah! 97,98,02 and 08 season previews.

i found it most humorous that we finish 3rd in the west....behind Sanjose?!?!?!?!?!??!?! :hehe::lol::hehe:

Yea I laughed at that too! I wouldn't be surprised if the SJ Divers slip a couple spots in the standings. Not only did they lose Nabokov, you have to think their playoff failures are going to effect them in the Regular Season this year.

Guest Stolberg

San Jose making it to the conference finals will affect them negatively, but the Wings losing out in the semifinals won't?

The Charks losing Blake will hurt more than the psychological damage of losing once again before the Final. They lose their captain and top two defenceman and replace him with... what? The hope that Vlasic responds better than he did last year? Dog Murray? Huskins? Nic Wallin and his baffling $2.5 million re-signing?

They have a tiny bit of cap room but they don't appear all that willing to spend up to get there at this point. They should really have been in the Paul Martin sweepstakes, or at least had a Plan B if the Hjalmarsson signing was matched.

I don't have the list, and don't have access to a copy of it, but here's what I would put for the Top 50. Get your pitchforks.

1) Henrik Zetterberg, C

2) Alexander Ovechkin, LW

3) Duncan Keith, D

4) Nicklas Lidstrom, D

5) Pavel Datsyuk, C

6) Drew Doughty, D

7) Daniel Sedin, LW

8) Henrik Sedin, C

9) Jonathan Toews, C

10) Sidney Crosby, C (Sorry Carman)

11) Ryan Miller, G

12) Jarome Iginla, RW

13) Chris Pronger, D

14) Patrick Marleau, LW

15) Ilya Kovalchuk, LW

16) Evgeni Malkin, C

17) Shea Weber, D

18) Zdeno Chara, D

19) Tomas Vokoun, G

20) Joe Thornton, C

21) Steven Stamkos, C

22) Patrick Kane, RW

23) Ryan Kesler, C

24) Mariak Gaborik, LW

25) Nicklas Backstrom, C

26) Dan Heatley, RW

27) Martin Brodeur, D

28) Miikka Kiprusoff, G

29) Brad Richards, C

30) Anze Kopitar, C

31) Martin St.Louis, RW

32) Alexander Semin, LW

33) Ilya Bryzgalov, G

34) Niklas Backstrom, G

35) Henrik Lunqdvist, G

36) Roberto Luongo, G

37) Christian Ehrhoff, D

38) Niklas Kronwall, D

39) Brent Seabrook, D

40) Dan Boyle, D

41) Jordan Staal, C

42) Loui Eriksson, LW

43) Eric Staal, C

44) Cam Ward, G

45) Mikko Koivu, C

46) Jonathan Quick, G

47) Tomas Plekanec, C

48) Vincent Lecavalier, C

49) Marian Hossa, RW

50) Johan Franzen, RW

EDIT: Some text running together.

Edited by eva unit zero

I don't have the list, and don't have access to a copy of it, but here's what I would put for the Top 50. Get your pitchforks.

1) Henrik Zetterberg, C

3) Duncan Keith, D

4) Nicklas Lidstrom, D

5) Pavel Datsyuk, C

6) Drew Doughty, D

7) Daniel Sedin, LW

8) Henrik Sedin, C

9) Jonathan Toews, C

11) Ryan Miller, G

12) Jarome Iginla, RW

13) Chris Pronger, D

14) Patrick Marleau, LW

15) Ilya Kovalchuk, LW

16) Evgeni Malkin, C

17) Shea Weber, D

18) Zdeno Chara, D

19) Tomas Vokoun, G

20) Joe Thornton, C

21) Steven Stamkos, C

22) Patrick Kane, RW

23) Ryan Kesler, C

24) Mariak Gaborik, LW

25) Nicklas Backstrom, C

26) Dan Heatley, RW

27) Martin Brodeur, D

28) Miikka Kiprusoff, G

29) Brad Richards, C

30) Anze Kopitar, C

31) Martin St.Louis, RW

32) Alexander Semin, LW

33) Ilya Bryzgalov, G

34) Niklas Backstrom, G

35) Henrik Lunqdvist, G

36) Roberto Luongo, G

37) Christian Ehrhoff, D

38) Niklas Kronwall, D

39) Brent Seabrook, D

40) Dan Boyle, D

41) Jordan Staal, C

42) Loui Eriksson, LW

43) Eric Staal, C

44) Cam Ward, G

45) Mikko Koivu, C

46) Jonathan Quick, G

47) Tomas Plekanec, C

49) Marian Hossa, RW

50) Johan Franzen, RW

I don't know if I have enough pitchforks to respond to this.

1) Henrik Zetterberg, C

3) Duncan Keith, D

4) Nicklas Lidstrom, D

5) Pavel Datsyuk, C

6) Drew Doughty, D

7) Daniel Sedin, LW

8) Henrik Sedin, C

9) Jonathan Toews, C

11) Ryan Miller, G

12) Jarome Iginla, RW

13) Chris Pronger, D

14) Patrick Marleau, LW

15) Ilya Kovalchuk, LW

16) Evgeni Malkin, C

17) Shea Weber, D

18) Zdeno Chara, D

19) Tomas Vokoun, G

20) Joe Thornton, C

21) Steven Stamkos, C

22) Patrick Kane, RW

23) Ryan Kesler, C

24) Mariak Gaborik, LW

25) Nicklas Backstrom, C

26) Dan Heatley, RW

27) Martin Brodeur, D

28) Miikka Kiprusoff, G

29) Brad Richards, C

30) Anze Kopitar, C

31) Martin St.Louis, RW

32) Alexander Semin, LW

33) Ilya Bryzgalov, G

34) Niklas Backstrom, G

35) Henrik Lunqdvist, G

36) Roberto Luongo, G

37) Christian Ehrhoff, D

38) Niklas Kronwall, D

39) Brent Seabrook, D

40) Dan Boyle, D

41) Jordan Staal, C

42) Loui Eriksson, LW

43) Eric Staal, C

44) Cam Ward, G

45) Mikko Koivu, C

46) Jonathan Quick, G

47) Tomas Plekanec, C

49) Marian Hossa, RW

50) Johan Franzen, RW

Wow that is probably the worst list I have ever read. First it starts with Zetterberg. I know we're wings fan but really? Take the homer glasses off, he didn't even score 25 goals last year and isn't even the best player on his team. Crosby at 10 is way off. Martin St Louis is much better then 31, and yet again youre being a homer with Kronwall above Seabrook.

Oh man you need to take a few minutes, compose yourself, then come back and rewrite this list to regain some credibility on this board.

Wow that is probably the worst list I have ever read. First it starts with Zetterberg. I know we're wings fan but really? Take the homer glasses off, he didn't even score 25 goals last year and isn't even the best player on his team. Crosby at 10 is way off. Martin St Louis is much better then 31, and yet again youre being a homer with Kronwall above Seabrook.

Oh man you need to take a few minutes, compose yourself, then come back and rewrite this list to regain some credibility on this board.

Well Stated Newfy- I LOVE Z, but he is lucky to crack the Top 10. Go back to 07/08 and then he is in the conversation but lets be honest, as fans of the Wings and fans of hockey. I loathe Cindy but he is for sure Top 3 ....and Backstrom...WTF? He was the BEST, most consistant player on the Caps last year- I mean, the guy backchecks...Mike Green, a defenseman doesn't even do that!

You can take a mulligan if you want.

is Loui Eriksson really better then Hossa? Bryzgalov over Luongo? I want whatever this dude is smokin...i mean the Sedin Brothers are good...but better then every player in the league? Better then Crosby? hmmmm