• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Top 10 Swedes in NHL History

Rate this topic

This is my list. Also, we're only talking about their NHL careers, and not taking international play into account.

1. Nicklas Lidstrom

2. Peter Forsberg

3. Mats Sundin

4. Borje Salming

5. Kent Nilsson

6. Daniel Alfredsson

7. Markus Naslund

8. Henrik Zetterberg

9. Mats Naslund

10. Hakan Loob

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

This is my list. Also, we're only talking about their NHL careers, and not taking international play into account.

1. Nicklas Lidstrom

2. Peter Forsberg

3. Mats Sundin

4. Borje Salming

5. Kent Nilsson

6. Daniel Alfredsson

7. Markus Naslund

8. Henrik Zetterberg

9. Mats Naslund

10. Hakan Loob

At this point I would almost certainly put Zetterberg over Naslund. Besides a few peak years, Naslund's overall totals don't hold a candle to Zetterbergs, and thats not taking into account greater defesne play/playoff success.

At this point I would almost certainly put Zetterberg over Naslund. Besides a few peak years, Naslund's overall totals don't hold a candle to Zetterbergs, and thats not taking into account greater defesne play/playoff success.

Actually, he probably has better numbers than Hank. Not as great in the playoffs, but Hank has played on better teams and has never had to be "the man". Naslund has being the captain in Vancouver of all places. Has Zetteberg ever even been up for the Hart Trophy?

Why would you rank Zetterberg higher?

Guest Stolberg

Regular season

Naslund - .77ppg

Zetterberg - .93ppg

Playoffs

Naslund - .69ppg

Zetterberg - .93ppg

Awards

Naslund - Lester B. Pearson

Zetterberg - Conn Smythe

Obviously Naslund's career was twice as long. He put up 60 points or more from 1998-2007. Zetterberg still has quite a few more years left and I wouldn't be surprised if his scoring pace starts to slip with age.

Regular season

Naslund - .77ppg

Zetterberg - .93ppg

Playoffs

Naslund - .69ppg

Zetterberg - .93ppg

Awards

Naslund - Lester B. Pearson

Zetterberg - Conn Smythe

Obviously Naslund's career was twice as long. He put up 60 points or more from 1998-2007. Zetterberg still has quite a few more years left and I wouldn't be surprised if his scoring pace starts to slip with age.

But I was talking about current ranking and not a projected list for the future.

Besides, with Zetteberg's health always being an issue, I'm not sure what will happen to his stats over time either.

The nominating system is skewed. Hank should probably have 1 nomination for the Hart trophy to his credit. Most VALUABLE player. I am going to lean towards without Hank, things wouldn't go so well.

Naslund was the captain of a team that wasn't nearly as talented as the teams Zetteberg played on.

Dan Cloutier was their goalie for pete's sake. I think the nominations for Naslund were more than fair.

Zetterberg is at best the 2nd most valuable player to the Wings behind Nick. He's likely behind Datsyuk as well. That's why he hasn't been nominated.

Naslund was the captain of a team that wasn't nearly as talented as the teams Zetteberg played on.

Dan Cloutier was their goalie for pete's sake. I think the nominations for Naslund were more than fair.

Zetterberg is at best the 2nd most valuable player to the Wings behind Nick. He's likely behind Datsyuk as well. That's why he hasn't been nominated.

Good points. And I never really stated the nominating of Naslund was wrong, was simply saying that Hank should have had a nomination in the last few years. Agreed that the talent that Hank has had on his lines compared to Naslund is pretty obvious which is where I will say the points are noted to you but again in the last few years Hank should have had a nomination tossed his way. But...Hank fan boy guilty as charged.

Good points. And I never really stated the nominating of Naslund was wrong, was simply saying that Hank should have had a nomination in the last few years. Agreed that the talent that Hank has had on his lines compared to Naslund is pretty obvious which is where I will say the points are noted to you but again in the last few years Hank should have had a nomination tossed his way. But...Hank fan boy guilty as charged.

You are guilty as charged, because Zetteberg has scored 68 points in 2007, 92 in 2008, 73 in 2009 and 70 last year.

Aside from 2008, he shouldn't even be close to being nominated for the Hart. Those numbers are nothing compared to what Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are doing. Not to mention all those goalies that single handedly carry teams into the playoffs every year.

Zetteberg is a great player, especially in the clutch, but not good enough to be nominated for the Hart as of yet.

Edited by GMRwings1983

You are guilty as charged

Aside from 2008

Agreed wink.gif

and

That was the season I was speaking of. My bad for the mis-understanding. Hank did miss 7 games due to injury and Pav put up 5 more points that season but with the missed games who's to say the output. Iggy, Malkin, and Ovie were the nominees that season and I guess in retrospect with those names it would have been tough but I can't see why not at least a nod to a nominee if Ovie is such an obvious choice that year.

1. Nicklas Lidstrom

2. Peter Forsberg

3. Mats Sundin

4. Borje Salming

5. Kent Nilsson

6. Daniel Alfredsson

7. Markus Naslund

8. Henrik Zetterberg

9. Mats Naslund

10. Hakan Loob

It's a tough one, I agree. But no mention of greats like Andreas Lilja, Robert Nyström and Tomas Sandström (not to mention the Swedish Sieve!)?

I then spent some time writing about why Nilsson should have been included in your list. Then I saw that he was.

For the sake of debate, what about the top ten Swedish players in WHA history?

Ulf Nilsson

Anders Hedberg

Kenta Nilsson

Willy Lindström

Apologies, it is one in the morning and I have just gotten home.

Naslund is absolutely over Zetterberg. Naslund won the Pearson trophy in 2002-03, and was second in league scoring and Hart voting (Forsberg won) and was a First Team All-Star three consecutive years while playing on a line with Brendan Morrison and Todd Bertuzzi, both of whom saw significant declines immediately after being separated from Naslund.

Zetterberg will likely be ahead of Naslund by the end of this season or next, but right now it's Naslund.

But I was talking about current ranking and not a projected list for the future.

Besides, with Zetteberg's health always being an issue, I'm not sure what will happen to his stats over time either.

Since when is his health always an issue? I think the list is good and all but definitely a year or two and Hank moves up no doubt.

Guest mindfly

1. Nicklas Lidstrom

2. Peter Forsberg

3. Mats Sundin

4. Borje Salming

5. Henrik Zetterberg

6. Kenta Nilsson

7. Daniel Alfredsson

8. Markus Näslund

9. Håkan Loob

10. Bob Nyström :ph34r:

Curious why Sedin's haven't been mentioned.

Probably because they don't deserve to be on this list. If I can think of a better reason, I'll let you know. The other players I mentioned are more deserving.

Oh and mindfly, I love the Bob Nystrom reference, but I don't think he's one of the 10 best Swedes in NHL history. In terms of my favorite Swedes he'd be near the top, though. He was a true hockey player who always played well in the playoffs and scored lots of big goals for the Isles. A team first guy and one of the 10 best fighters in league history, period. Never saw him take a bad loss. Stats wise, though, he doesn't get on this list.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The nominating system is skewed. Hank should probably have 1 nomination for the Hart trophy to his credit. Most VALUABLE player. I am going to lean towards without Hank, things wouldn't go so well.

Not sure how a system could be skewed when it doesn't even exit. NO ONE is nominated, voters can vote for any player they wish.

Like your list - would probably have Salming 3rd.

This was my first impression. Sundin and Salming had very similar careers. No Stanley Cups or major awards, and both spent most of their careers toiling away on some pretty mediocre Leafs teams. However, both players were considered top players in the league at their respective positions. Anyways, my list looks like this:

Lidstrom

Forsberg

Salming

Sundin

Naslund

Alfredsson

Zetterberg

Henrik Sedin

Nilsson

I can't decide if I want Pelle Lindberg or Mats Naslund in the last spot. I'll let it remain a tie.

Probably because they don't deserve to be on this list. If I can think of a better reason, I'll let you know. The other players I mentioned are more deserving.

Oh and mindfly, I love the Bob Nystrom reference, but I don't think he's one of the 10 best Swedes in NHL history. In terms of my favorite Swedes he'd be near the top, though. He was a true hockey player who always played well in the playoffs and scored lots of big goals for the Isles. A team first guy and one of the 10 best fighters in league history, period. Never saw him take a bad loss. Stats wise, though, he doesn't get on this list.

I disagree. When you disregard play outside the NHL, Henrik Sedin is a more accomplished player than either Hakan Loob or Mats Naslund.