• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Stolberg

Penguins sign Arron Asham

Rate this topic

He already stated he wanted to stay in Pennsylvania, that's probably why he signed for what he did. Bottom line is, we will have a solid 4th line of Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves hopefully with Downey getting his 40 games. Would I like to see a few more guys willing to throw em? Absolutely. Our 4th line is capable of skating and playing a defensively responsible game, as well as chip in offensively. As far as fighting goes, like I've said, Downey is all we'll get (If that even) for this season.

People are excited because we have pretty boy scorers on our 3rd line, but you need to understand something.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force".

Everyone raves about Chicago's 3rd line last year, but that line had checkers and good defensive forwards on it. Just like our 3rd line in 2008.

Modano and Hudler have just never been known for that, and I have a hard time seeing that change. I'm just not going to get overexcited because we signed offensive stars. We need balance and not just scoring.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Heaten

People are excited because we have pretty boy scorers on our 3rd line, but you need to understand something.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force".

Everyone raves about Chicago's 3rd line last year, but that line had checkers and good defensive forwards on it. Just like our 3rd line in 2008.

Modano and Hudler have just never been known for that, and I have a hard time seeing that change. I'm just not going to get overexcited because we signed offensive stars. We need balance and not just scoring.

I'm confused. Who's Hudler going to check when Modano has the puck? Or who's Modano going to check while Hudler has the puck. The third line will be a puck possession line, not checkers. You're so stuck on the checking aspect that you fail to realize this 3rd line will rival most other team's 2nd lines.

I don't see any reason why Modano can't score 30+ points with Hudler and Cleary as his wingers. I would say that you better be prepared to eat some crow, but you seem like the kind of person who would refuse to admit they were wrong, even if Red Wings sweep their way to the cup... you'll still probably wine and cry that the team won the cup without a "gritty" 4th liner or "enforcer".

You even admit this team is better than the cup winning 2008 team, and you're still bitching by insignificant s***.

Detroit's main issue last season was with depth scoring and special teams play. I think Detroit addressed that in the offseason, and I don't think signing Asham would have been a huge improvement on the bottom six either way.

If Bertuzzi wasn't on the roster having Helm on the third line wouldn't have put us in a bad position when it came to strong forechecking on weaker lines.

And for the record, Detroit's 2009 team was dominant with skilled third liners. The only issue was select defensive gaffes, certain stars not performing to their potential, and injuries to key players which did them in.

Edited by Doc Holliday

There isn't any rule that says the third line is a checking line. We have a team loaded with defensively responsible forwards. Zetterberg has been the forward typically used against the top opposing line for years. Our 4th line is already a checking line. We have plenty of balance. I wouldn't say Asham is any better defensively than Modano anyway. You only want him because he fights anyway.

I'm confused. Who's Hudler going to check when Modano has the puck? Or who's Modano going to check while Hudler has the puck. The third line will be a puck possession line, not checkers. You're so stuck on the checking aspect that you fail to realize this 3rd line will rival most other team's 2nd lines.

I don't see any reason why Modano can't score 30+ points with Hudler and Cleary as his wingers. I would say that you better be prepared to eat some crow, but you seem like the kind of person who would refuse to admit they were wrong, even if Red Wings sweep their way to the cup... you'll still probably wine and cry that the team won the cup without a "gritty" 4th liner or "enforcer".

You even admit this team is better than the cup winning 2008 team, and you're still bitching by insignificant s***.

Once again you make weak arguments by misquoting me.

This team is not better than 2008 and I never said it was. It hasn't even played a game yet and that team won the Cup.

This team is just better offensively. Since you seem to have a limited knowledge of the game, you equate that with it being a better team. That's not necessarily the case. Offensive skill is just one piece of the pie. The 2008 team was far more balanced than this team on paper.

And your statement about Hudler and Modano always having the puck is downright comical. This isn't video game hockey and they will actually have to play some defense on the 3rd line.

There isn't any rule that says the third line is a checking line. We have a team loaded with defensively responsible forwards. Zetterberg has been the forward typically used against the top opposing line for years. Our 4th line is already a checking line. We have plenty of balance. I wouldn't say Asham is any better defensively than Modano anyway. You only want him because he fights anyway.

This thread would be a lot shorter if that's all I wanted him for.

Care to back that statement up with what I said in this thread? Or did you just pull that out of thin air like the other guy is doing.

Asham does more than just fight. I've already expained why I think he'd be a better fit than some of our other 4th liners. I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Edited by GMRwings1983

This thread would be a lot shorter if that's all I wanted him for.

Care to back that statement up with what I said in this thread? Or did you just pull that out of thin air like the other guy is doing.

Asham does more than just fight. I've already expained why I think he'd be a better fit than some of our other 4th liners. I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Hmm...

But he gives us an added dimension that those guys don't.

And despite what other posters may say, it does help to have a guy on the 4th line that can drop the gloves.

Tell me honestly, would this thread even exist if Asham didn't fight? What 'dimension' does he have that Helm, Abby, Eaves, and Miller do not, aside from fighting? What would Asham offer, aside from fighting, that we don't already have plenty of?

And you're not arguing that he's a better fit than some 4th liners. You're arguing that he's a better fit than Modano. I for one disagree. I think Modano is the one who offers a dimension that really improves this team. Asham offers nothing other than mediocre fighting ability and a skillset similar to Miller. I don't see how he makes the team better at all, much less being so much better that it's worth getting upset over.

Asham to the Pens? Lame.

I wonder how it is for players to switch sides in the state rivalry.

Many have done it before.

He wasn't a part of the rivalry for long, so it's not a big deal for him.

Has this been a nice little entertainment break from studying?

Already took my 2nd Bar a few weeks ago. No more studying. Ever!

Hmm...

Tell me honestly, would this thread even exist if Asham didn't fight? What 'dimension' does he have that Helm, Abby, Eaves, and Miller do not, aside from fighting? What would Asham offer, aside from fighting, that we don't already have plenty of?

And you're not arguing that he's a better fit than some 4th liners. You're arguing that he's a better fit than Modano. I for one disagree. I think Modano is the one who offers a dimension that really improves this team. Asham offers nothing other than mediocre fighting ability and a skillset similar to Miller. I don't see how he makes the team better at all, much less being so much better that it's worth getting upset over.

Yes this thread would still exist.

You'll just have to take my word for it. Don't know how I could actually prove it to you. I haven't even mentioned fighting that much in this thread.

Already took my 2nd Bar a few weeks ago. No more studying. Ever!

Sure you don't want to take that back? I seem to recall a similar proclamation in the late summer of 2009. :hehe:

Maybe you'll just do the go-around until you find the perfect situation. It is... Your destiny. :hehe:

Sure you don't want to take that back? I seem to recall a similar proclamation in the late summer of 2009. :hehe:

Maybe you'll just do the go-around until you find the perfect situation. It is... Your destiny. :hehe:

2 down, 48 to go? :hehe:

No, this is really the last one. It was easier the 2nd time around, but still a major inconvenience. Not happening again.

Wings and Pens in the 2011 SCF. Lock it up!

I actually think it will happen.

Washington will likely choke again, and the Flyers probably won't be back two years in a row.

Guest Stolberg

The Flyers playing in the SCF means some lucky team is about to end a cup drought.

Asham to the Pens? Lame.

I wonder how it is for players to switch sides in the state rivalry.

I think ESPN will have a new channel for "decisions" when it involves teams with rivalries. Asham will have his own one hour special and drop hints such as "Yinz know me!" until he makes the official announcement at the 53 minute mark, "I'm going to take my talents to southwest Pennsylvania".

...You'll just have to take my word for it. Don't know how I could actually prove it to you. I haven't even mentioned fighting that much in this thread.

How about trying to explain what he offers, aside from fighting, that Modano or our current 4th line doesn't. How would having Asham instead of Modano make this team better?

We have about 7 or 8 forwards that are better defensively already. We could have three lines that could function as shutdown checking lines. So what exactly would Asham offer, aside from fighting?

One extra hit per game?

I actually think it will happen.

God I hope not. It wasn't all that interesting or fun the first time and the second time the dynamic was just so freeking boring. I look back on the Avs rivalry and think, "God... damn, I hated those bastards. But at the very least, you can't hate somebody that much and say they're not interesting." From an entertainment point of view I really hope that doesn't happen.

But of course, I definitely want the Wings to be in the finals again, :P .

How about trying to explain what he offers, aside from fighting, that Modano or our current 4th line doesn't. How would having Asham instead of Modano make this team better?

We have about 7 or 8 forwards that are better defensively already. We could have three lines that could function as shutdown checking lines. So what exactly would Asham offer, aside from fighting?

One extra hit per game?

Good old fashioned Western toughness. That's pretty much it, right?

[quote name=Buppy' date='20 August 2010 - 10:37 PM'

timestamp='1282361853' post='2027930]

One extra hit per game?

I've said all along that several of those current 4th liners you refer to shouldn't be here, thus freeing up some money. Asham is a good hitter, a hard worker and has shown scoring touch in the past. That's not easy to find on the 4th line, especially from a guy that can fight occasionally. He's not just a fighter, or else I'd spend the whole thread explaining how we should sign Downey instead of Asham.

As for Modano, he's a better player than Asham, but like I said above, I'm not so sure that he's a good fit on the 3rd line. He doesn't check or play defense, and that makes two with him and Hudler. We've always had checkers and defensive forwards on our 3rd lines in past Cup wins. I think Helm, Hudler and Cleary would have been a better fit on the 3rd line overall. This isn't a video game where you can just load up scorers on every line.

Also, Asham would have a better future here than Modano, who's only here for one year. Isn't that important? A guy we can rely on to fill in on the 4th line for several years.

Maybe I'm wrong about Modano's overall contribution to a Cup chase, but I feel like he's not as good a fit as people think he'll be. It's not a role I see Modano being great at, and it's a one shot deal.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I think ESPN will have a new channel for "decisions" when it involves teams with rivalries. Asham will have his own one hour special and drop hints such as "Yinz know me!" until he makes the official announcement at the 53 minute mark, "I'm going to take my talents to southwest Pennsylvania".

I still laugh every time I hear "I'm gonna take my talents to....". Have some class, idiot.

One extra hit per game?

The question isn't if Modano or Asham is better. Most will agree that Modano is the better player. However, the Wings have Eaves, Miller, and Ritola signed for this year. The real question is if Asham would be better for the team than any of these players. I believe he would because of the dimension he brings (that the Wings lack).

This discussion is irrelevant though. Most fans (and GMs with room) would welcome Asham for 700k. The Pens made a good move here IMO.