• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Stolberg

Penguins sign Arron Asham

Rate this topic

As far as the Draper comments, Helm is slowly and surely replacing him. Speed, two-way play, face-off ability, and etc are all there. Drapes will be phased out like Malts (given Miller/Eaves replacing him).

Asham signing? Good deal for the Pens. Question is, is Asham any good at taking face-offs?

That's part of it. Draper isn't relied upon for faceoffs like he used to be.

He took 319 in 81 games last season. 1 more than Abdelkader took in 50 games. And Abdelkader only lost 17 more draws than Drapes. Not bad for a rookie.

Stanley Cup winning goals:

1996-97 - Darren McCarty

1997-98 - Martin LaPointe

2001-02 - Brandan Shanahan

Yep, I guess fighting players are useless. :thumbdown:

esteef

Yea, because Shanahan and McCarty were enforcers.... McCarty wasn't having a career year scoring. As for the 98... 4-1 final... not like that series the wings didn't dominate the flyers the time...oh wait... get back to me with some game 7 heroics, not when youre talking about the final blow in a sweep.

PS BRENDAN Shanahan was no enforcer he is one of the best point producing forwards in the game, who could also stand up for himself. If you are really trying to compare Asham to any of those three, please tell the nurse to up your meds.

Edited by Shaman464

Hey, remember that one time that one fight over came a 2 goal lead because that one guy just thoroughly kicked the other guys ass? I don't either.

In a game that is WON by having MORE goals than the other team. A fight is a spectacle, any gains or losses in momentum that it causes is purely intangible, where as addition of scoring depth is a tangible addition, that in the end of the game, can be measured, and does have direct impact on the end results of the game.

Remember March 26, 1997? Don't you think that had something to do with uniting the Wings and helping them get past the Avs to win the Cup? Because the players do. They had plenty of offensive talent years before that, but couldn't get it done.

It takes all sorts of players fulfilling different roles and creating team chemistry. It's not the oversimplified example you just used of more offense = better team. Besides, Asham is not an enforcer. He's more of a grinder who will fight and can score some goals.

And as I've beat to death, this is not a deal that would've made or broken the Wings. Just a gritty player who the Pens got for cheap. Would've been nice if Detroit could pick up a guy like Asham.

Yea, because Shanahan and McCarty were enforcers.... McCarty wasn't having a career year scoring. As for the 98... 4-1 final... not like that series the wings didn't dominate the flyers the time...oh wait... get back to me with some game 7 heroics, not when youre talking about the final blow in a sweep.

PS BRENDAN Shanahan was no enforcer he is one of the best point producing forwards in the game, who could also stand up for himself. If you are really trying to compare Asham to any of those three, please tell the nurse to up your meds.

So your response is basically "But But But Nuh-uh!"

The fact remains that fighting players like DMac and LaPointe, who are very similar to Asham, were present on Cup winning teams when it mattered most and not as some sideshow entertainment for the MMA fans. Neither of those players were brought in for their "scoring", yet their contributions, scoring and otherwise, were very important in the overall result. But since they drop the gloves, which you despise, they ain't worth s*** apparently compared to a 40 year old player who may or may not put up points like he used to.

esteef

Edited by esteef

So your response is basically "But But But Nuh-uh!"

The fact remains that fighting players like DMac and LaPointe, who are very similar to Asham, were present on Cup winning teams when it mattered most and not as some sideshow entertainment for the MMA fans. Neither of those players were brought in for their "scoring", yet their contributions, scoring and otherwise, were very important in the overall result. But since they drop the gloves, which you despise, they ain't worth s*** apparently compared to a 40 year old player who may or may not put up points like he used to.

esteef

First you built a beautiful strawman, but, as I even put in my sig, I love fights, its the whole enforcer playing style that I feel is an outdated role in the NHL. As for them being present on the cup winning teams, so were Boyd Devereaux and Mathieu Dandenault... they were very present on those teams. Not every role player is the key to a cup winning team, and while I will relent the point of the March 26 game being the one that brought the team together. But to compare DMac and Lapointe to Asham is laughable, both Lapointe and DMac were better scorers in the dead puck era, and Lapointe was clutch in the playoffs. Asham is a career fourth liner, and is pretty poor defensively. He rarely played on the PK (which would make him less valuable than Miller or Eaves), never scored that many points (averages 20 points a season, so, again no upgrade over eaves or miller), and with the amount of time he spends in the box he would hinder the wings ability to roll four balanced lines. Can you actually tell me what he adds that NO ONE on the team has other than the willingness (not the ability) to drop the gloves?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

v

v

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAv

v

v

v

v

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Does your mom know you are using the computer?

First you built a beautiful strawman, but, as I even put in my sig, I love fights, its the whole enforcer playing style that I feel is an outdated role in the NHL. As for them being present on the cup winning teams, so were Boyd Devereaux and Mathieu Dandenault... they were very present on those teams. Not every role player is the key to a cup winning team, and while I will relent the point of the March 26 game being the one that brought the team together. But to compare DMac and Lapointe to Asham is laughable, both Lapointe and DMac were better scorers in the dead puck era, and Lapointe was clutch in the playoffs. Asham is a career fourth liner, and is pretty poor defensively. He rarely played on the PK (which would make him less valuable than Miller or Eaves), never scored that many points (averages 20 points a season, so, again no upgrade over eaves or miller), and with the amount of time he spends in the box he would hinder the wings ability to roll four balanced lines. Can you actually tell me what he adds that NO ONE on the team has other than the willingness (not the ability) to drop the gloves?

Yes, a potential Cup winning goal.

esteef

Guest Stolberg

Where did you hear that? Any chance you got a link?

i've seen it said a couple times online, so there probably isn't much to it ;)

it makes sense though i guess

And the prevailing argument has also become "do you know more than Holland?" Of course none of us know more about running a franchise than Holland. But it's about being a fan of the team. Analyzing and overanalyzing every move and throwing our two cents in. That's why this forum exists.

the funny part for me about this whole angle is we have no idea how Holland even feels on the issue. its been stated that Asham apparently wanted to stay in PA. so Holland could have thought Asham was the X factor, but it didn't matter because Asham didn't want to play here. there seems to be an automatic assumption that every player in the nhl wants to sign here first and if he doesn't, its because the wings passed on the player; not the other way around.

I don't think anyone here expects Modano to be "great". He's likely going to be able to put up 40-50 points, and maintain a solid all-around game. Modano give us, arguably, the deepest pool of forwards in the league.

Guest mindfly

I don't think anyone here expects Modano to be "great". He's likely going to be able to put up 40-50 points, and maintain a solid all-around game. Modano give us, arguably, the deepest pool of forwards in the league.

I think it's reasonable that Modano WILL play better in detroit than the past two seasons with the stars for obvious reasons but if he doesn't I think putting helm as the third center and brought asham instead of Modano, as a 4th liner (hudler back of course), would also bring correct depth but with more sandpaper and the third line would have had two defensive minded players in helm and cleary, now it's only cleary...

Detroit won in 08 because of Defense and the bottom 6 players were mostly sandpaper guys doing their thing.

Defense or Offense... we'll se how it pans out, could be great.. but no guarantee

Edited by mindfly

I'm not acting like I'm being repressed. There's actually been some good conversations going on in here, like between GMR and mindfly.

Speaking only for myself, sure it would've been nice to pick up Asham for 700k. But I'm not saying he's getting the Wings to the Cup or it's an either or situation with Modano. It's all the people jumping into the thread who've made it that. There's a pretty large gap between saying you'd want a player on the team and that player would make the difference in winning the Cup.

But that's a common argument for shooting it down. "xxxx player is not going to be the difference to get the Wings to the Cup."

And the prevailing argument has also become "do you know more than Holland?" Of course none of us know more about running a franchise than Holland. But it's about being a fan of the team. Analyzing and overanalyzing every move and throwing our two cents in. That's why this forum exists.

The Draper thing was really an aside which has derailed this thread even more. As I said, I'm a big Draper fan, but Holland was overly optimistic about his contributions to the team when he signed that contract. Or maybe he didn't have enough faith in kids like Helm to replace him.

Really? Prevailing argument? Heaten used that argument once, and you've been harping on it ever since. Mostly, it's been a discussion on the relative merits of Modano and Asham, scoring and grit/fighting. You now seem intent on proving that Holland can make mistakes, as if that proves that this particular move (or non-move in this case) is a mistake.

Now unfortunately, this seems to be devolving into just another enforcer debate. Oh well.

Guest Heaten

First off, no every player isn't important to a Cup victory. It's great if they are, but typically there's a couple guys at least who weren't difference makers.

Never said Draper was 'the difference maker', he was part of the foundation to give the team that extra element that it takes to win.

And there it is. One quote from Babcock, so how could we ever question the Wings??

I can pull up past quotes from Bowman too. But they have nothing on your hockey knowledge.

You keep talking about how that extra money couldn't have gotten the Wings anyone else. The Wings are tight against the cap. Maybe you don't understand how the cap works, but it's not like any money saved from Drapes contract would have to be used one to one for another player. It's about the total cap space, and I bet Holland would love to have every dollar he could get to work with.

Who else do Wings need? This is a stacked team on paper. I can't wait to see how well they gel. Who would Holland use that extra $500k packaged up with (Modano?, Helm?, Eaves?, Abdelkader?, Salei?) or whoever it is you wanted to use that extra money for?

- 1st line is top 3 in the league - CHECK

- 2nd line is a force with Bert-Flip-Franzen - CHECK

- 3rd line is arguably best in the league - CHECK

- 4th line is fast, tenacious, defensive and offensive w/ grit and sandpaper - CHECK

- 1st D-pairing w/ 4 time cup winner and captain (aka Norris Nick) & one of the best offensive d-men in the Olympics - CHECK

- 2nd D-pairing w/ Stuart & Kronwall for that one/two punch in physical shut down and puck moving offense who lays players out - CHECK

- 3rd D-pairing w/ Salei & Ericsson/Kindl Physical and can score pairing and young kids drafted by the best scout in the entire NHL get their chance to shine and develop - CHECK

As you can see, this team is stacked. This is a cup contending team. Only place to upgrade is the 3rd D-pairing by waiving/trading Jim Nill's prospects in favor of a proven older dman in Sutton... then what happens in 3 years when he's washed up and Ericsson and Kindl are tearing it up? All for what? THIS TEAM IS ******* STACKED ALREADY

Blink indeed. So you're saying his contract was "brilliant" then, but he's overpaid now? That doesn't make a lick of sense. How can the same contract be brilliant and overpaid?

When a team wins the Stanley Cup, every contract was "brilliant". You do realize the ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup, right? Since Drapers contract, Red Wings have been to the WCF, CUP, SCF, and SQF.... AND HOLLAND IS STILL ICING A STACKED ******* TEAM THIS YEAR!!!!!! Yet you are still crying? Get over it. His contract isn't that bad. His contract isn't making or breaking the team's success. You have over 10k posts and you are this dumb about hockey. My god you need to get off the internet and read "hockey for dumbies"... Gah

Again, if you had read what I previously wrote, I said a contract should be evaluated on its full term. Not just on a season by season basis. Because of course these guys are going to be worth it on the front end.

Again, Red Wings went to the WCF, CUP, SCF, SCQF, and Holland is still icing one of, (if not the best), team in the NHL this year.

That's pretty ironic considering you missed that I was kidding. Read the sentences directly after the one about Drapers points.

You say so much stupid s***, it's heard to know whats a joke and what is poor logic. Maybe you should stop "kidding" because it makes you look foolish on here.

You're great at putting words in my mouth and inventing arguments so you can shoot them down.

I don't have to put words in your mouth... you say the stupid s*** on your own.

Lol @ Drapers contract is soo bad, yet Wings past 4 years (including this year) looks like this: WCF (lost to the Ducks) :: SCF (won Cup) :: SCF (lost gm 7, entire team was banged and battered) :: Stanley Cup Quarter Finals (exhausted team from 3 previous deep runs were ousted by #1 team in the West, rookie Howard gave up a few back breakers -- but you'll probably blame Draper) Only on LGWs /facepalm

Edited by Heaten

Guest PatKaneInHumane

Never said Draper was 'the difference maker', he was part of the foundation to give the team that extra element that it takes to win.

I can pull up past quotes from Bowman too. But they have nothing on your hockey knowledge.

Who else do Wings need? This is a stacked team on paper. I can't wait to see how well they gel. Who would Holland use that extra $500k packaged up with (Modano?, Helm?, Eaves?, Abdelkader?, Salei?) or whoever it is you wanted to use that extra money for?

- 1st line is top 3 in the league - CHECK

- 2nd line is a force with Bert-Flip-Franzen - CHECK

- 3rd line is arguably best in the league - CHECK

- 4th line is fast, tenacious, defensive and offensive w/ grit and sandpaper - CHECK

- 1st D-pairing w/ 4 time cup winner and captain (aka Norris Nick) & one of the best offensive d-men in the Olympics - CHECK

- 2nd D-pairing w/ Stuart & Kronwall for that one/two punch in physical shut down and puck moving offense who lays players out - CHECK

- 3rd D-pairing w/ Salei & Ericsson/Kindl Physical and can score pairing and young kids drafted by the best scout in the entire NHL get their chance to shine and develop - CHECK

As you can see, this team is stacked. This is a cup contending team. Only place to upgrade is the 3rd D-pairing by waiving/trading Jim Nill's prospects in favor of a proven older dman in Sutton... then what happens in 3 years when he's washed up and Ericsson and Kindl are tearing it up? All for what? THIS TEAM IS ******* STACKED ALREADY

When a team wins the Stanley Cup, every contract was "brilliant". You do realize the ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup, right? Since Drapers contract, Red Wings have been to the WCF, CUP, SCF, and SQF.... AND HOLLAND IS STILL ICING A STACKED ******* TEAM THIS YEAR!!!!!! Yet you are still crying? Get over it. His contract isn't that bad. His contract isn't making or breaking the team's success. You have over 10k posts and you are this dumb about hockey. My god you need to get off the internet and read "hockey for dumbies"... Gah

Again, Red Wings went to the WCF, CUP, SCF, SCQF, and Holland is still icing one of, (if not the best), team in the NHL this year.

You say so much stupid s***, it's heard to know whats a joke and what is poor logic. Maybe you should stop "kidding" because it makes you look foolish on here.

Lol @ Drapers contract is soo bad, yet Wings past 4 years (including this year) looks like this: WCF (lost to the Ducks) :: SCF (won Cup) :: SCF (lost gm 7, entire team was banged and battered) :: Stanley Cup Quarter Finals (exhausted team from 3 previous deep runs were ousted by #1 team in the West, rookie Howard gave up a few back breakers -- but you'll probably blame Draper) Only on LGWs /facepalm

Didn't read lol

Umm, isn't that pretty much a difference maker? You're hilarious dude. He's not the difference maker. He's just the one who was part of that element that made the difference?

That'd be impressive since he works for the Hawks. Because we're talking about Drapes now, not under Bowman.
blah blah blah...

Hey, thanks for the personal attack. For the record I didn't give your post a minus. Apparently there are people here who are less a fan of them than I am.

And another one! cheers! :thumbup:

That's airtight logic. The Wings have done well, therefore Draper's contract is a good one. Do you seriously not see the flaws with that line of thinking?

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I find it bizarre that there's so much discussion over a fourth liner. It took most of the summer for the guy to sign a one year 700k contract. Obviously he's not a highly sought-after commodity and he wouldn't make a big difference to this team.

He hasn't broken 30 points since 2003. Looking at hitting he had 92 hits in 72 games last year on a team whose culture is supposedly based around physicality. Jonathan Ericsson had 93 hits in 10 less games, and the guy barely hits at all. Asham's 92 hits actually puts him in a 5-way tie for 206th in the league for hitting last year. How inspiring.

I swear, someone on this board a couple of years ago just started pushing for him enough and this got some momentum. We're fine without him.

Also, it would be great if people could stop commenting on others' perceived intelligence, children, mothers, dogs and whatever else. Just stick to the topic.

Edited by Zetts

I find it bizarre that there's so much discussion over a fourth liner. It took most of the summer for the guy to sign a one year 700k contract. Obviously he's not a highly sought-after commodity and he wouldn't make a big difference to this team.

He hasn't broken 30 points since 2003. Looking at hitting he had 92 hits in 72 games last year on a team whose culture is supposedly based around physicality. Jonathan Ericsson had 93 hits in 10 less games, and the guy barely hits at all. Asham's 92 hits actually puts him in a 5-way tie for 206th in the league for hitting last year. How inspiring.

I swear, someone on this board a couple of years ago just started pushing for him enough and this got some momentum. We're fine without him.

Also, it would be great if people could stop commenting on others' perceived intelligence, children, mothers, dogs and whatever else. Just stick to the topic.

This might be the most intelligent post that has gone down in this thread all day. Asham is a small 4th liner that doesnt hit that much, doesnt score that much, but is willing to drop the gloves on occasion. Its amazing how much credibility a player can get on LGW just because they fight.