• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Stolberg

Penguins sign Arron Asham

Rate this topic

That sucks.

We could have had him for the same cash, and he'd give us a gritty forward that can score some goals. Would be a terrific addition to our team. Instead that money went elsewhere.

This is worse than last year, when we found out that Jason Williams' money could have gone to Prospal or Grier.

Guest mindfly

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Malkin-Staal-Tangradi

Kennedy-Letestu-Cooke

Adams-Rupp-Asham

(Godard/Talbot/Johnson)

Pretty decent I'd say

That sucks.

We could have had him for the same cash, and he'd give us a gritty forward that can score some goals. Would be a terrific addition to our team. Instead that money went elsewhere.

This is worse than last year, when we found out that Jason Williams' money could have gone to Prospal or Grier.

Wings management just don't find grit as important as skills, that's just fact.. look how they draft and what players they sign...90% of the time it's the same kind of players

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Malkin-Staal-Tangradi

Kennedy-Letestu-Cooke

Adams-Rupp-Asham

(Godard/Talbot/Johnson)

Pretty decent I'd say

Wings management just don't find grit as important as skills, that's just fact.. look how they draft and what players they sign...90% of the time it's the same kind of players

That's bulls***.

We signed Brad May last year and Downey a couple of years before that. Did they make that much less money than Asham? Were they more pressing to our team at that time more so than now? I don't think so.

We're talking about a great bargain for a solid 4th line player that can score occasionally and fight. Guy also busts his ass on every shift. That's exactly what we needed and he's coming off a really good playoffs.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest mindfly

May and Downey were GR signings, playing in detroit when injuries come or when there are more flies than usual.

May and Downey were GR signings, playing in detroit when injuries come or when there are more flies than usual.

Who cares how they came about?

They were on the team, meaning what you posted above isn't true. We have gotten players that fight before, even those that can't score at all. Except Asham is so much more than a fighter. I'd rather have him than Downey coming up from GR this year if he makes that team and we have injuries.

More flies than usual? What the hell does that mean?

I figured Asham was asking for too much, which is why we didn't even pursue him, but now I'm kind of pissed when I see these numbers. And to the Pens of all teams.

Edited by GMRwings1983

That sucks.

Because signing a minimum wage fourth liner is something we need to get upset about?

This is what I find hillarious about some people here. They make such a fizzy about a fourth liner.

Because signing a minimum wage fourth liner is something we need to get upset about?

This is what I find hillarious about some people here. They make such a fizzy about a fourth liner.

That's a bad post.

You need a complete team to win the Stanley Cup.

We wouldn't have won any Stanley Cups if it wasn't for a solid 4th line play in the playoffs. Just because they're not stars doesn't mean they're no important to the overall success.

Either you've lost all your knowledge about hockey or you just made a bad post. I thought you were smarter than that. How can you discredit a 4th line for their contributions? You think we could win all those Cups without the Grind Line? I don't. It makes the team more complete.

Asham would have made us a tougher and grittier team to play against. And for those people who ***** about fighters not scoring, he could shut them up too, because he can score. And for cheap.

Edited by GMRwings1983

That's a bad post.

You need a complete team to win the Stanley Cup.

We wouldn't have won any Stanley Cups if it wasn't for a solid 4th line play in the playoffs. Just because they're not stars doesn't mean they're no important to the overall success.

Either you've lost all your knowledge about hockey or you just made a bad post. I thought you were smarter than that. How can you discredit a 4th line for their contributions?

Our fourth line has energy. We have Abdelkader and Eaves, among others. It's not like we have a fourth line of cowards on the team and need someone like Asham for it to stay afloat.

This is a single fourth line guy who honestly would not improve the team a hell of a lot over what he would replace. Nothing to freak out about.

Our fourth line has energy. We have Abdelkader and Eaves, among others. It's not like we have a fourth line of cowards on the team and need someone like Asham for it to stay afloat.

This is a single fourth line guy who honestly would not improve the team a hell of a lot over what he would replace. Nothing to freak out about.

But he gives us an added dimension that those guys don't.

And despite what other posters may say, it does help to have a guy on the 4th line that can drop the gloves.

iirc Asham wanted to stay in PA/near Philly.

I hope so.

I'd hate to think he was out there for the taking and we didn't bite on it.

Because Eaves, Abdelkader, or other prospects don't fight?

Not really.

They're not in his league and I don't want to see them get injured trying.

He played better these last playoffs than either of those guys did here.

Guest mindfly

I would have liked Asham on this team as well but I knew it wasn't coming, Wings prioritate other things, getting skills (hulder, modano) and D-depth (salei)and re-signing assets (helm, ritola, abdelkader etc) is what they do instead in the offseason.

Not really.

They're not in his league and I don't want to see them get injured trying.

He played better these last playoffs than either of those guys did here.

It's not like he had an "amazing" playoff.

Like I said, it's a depth signing and is not a big deal since Detroit isn't in dire need to get a guy like him.

I would have liked Asham on this team as well but I knew it wasn't coming, Wings prioritate other things, getting skills (hulder, modano) and D-depth (salei)and re-signing assets (helm, ritola, abdelkader etc) is what they do instead in the offseason.

So Brad May's making the team last year never happened?

Also, who ever said that we were lacking skill prior to the offseason? We already knew Hudler was coming back to boot.

Salei is a different thing that I've already discussed in another thread.

I just hope that it was a case of Asham only wanting to stay in Pennsylvannia, which is idiotic of him, because it only limits a guy to two teams.

Guest mindfly

Brad May was a pure enforcer and couldn't play the game anymore, same thing can be said about Downey

Edited by mindfly

Brad May was a pure enforcer and couldn't play the game anymore, same thing can be said about Downey

And yet they were on the team. The same Red Wings team that supposedly doesn't sign tough players based on your posts.

Thanks for making my argument, because Asham isn't a pure fighter.

Guest mindfly

And yet they were on the team. The same Red Wings team that supposedly doesn't sign tough players based on your posts.

Thanks for making my argument, because Asham isn't a pure fighter.

They sign enforces but not gritty forwards that can play and score goals.

They sign enforces but not gritty forwards that can play and score goals.

That makes no sense. It should be the other way around.

I'm actually starting to believe that Asham must have turned the Wings down, because Holland wouldn't actually be so stupid as to sign only enforcers, but not guys who can do more than just fight.

Guest mindfly

That makes no sense. It should be the other way around.

I'm actually starting to believe that Asham must have turned the Wings down, because Holland wouldn't actually be so stupid as to sign only enforcers, but not guys who can do more than just fight.

You just misunderstood me from the start i'm merely stating the obvious here.