• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

T-Ruff

Small rule change confirmed

Rate this topic

hradek_ej_55_normal.jpgEJHradek_ESPN

NHL confirms this rule change: Regulation/OT wins (shootout Ws EXCLUDED) now will be first way to break ties in the standings.

i.e. Shootout wins will no longer count towards the total number of wins for the first tiebreaker criteria.

I approve

How about getting rid of the shootout, and going back to ties and no points for an OT loss?

Time to eliminate this Mickey Mouse system altogether. I'm tired of seeing everyone's record being distorted by shootout wins and losses.

exactly!

Agreed but if they won't eliminate the SO they should use a 3 point system.

Regulation Win = 3 points

Shootout or OT Win = 2 points

Shootout or OT Loss = 1 point

Regulation Loss = 0 points

As it is now a SO win is as good as a regulation win. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Agreed but if they won't eliminate the SO they should use a 3 point system.

Regulation Win = 3 points

Shootout or OT Win = 2 points

Shootout or OT Loss = 1 point

Regulation Loss = 0 points

As it is now a SO win is as good as a regulation win. That makes no sense whatsoever.

No, because then teams will start breaking all kinds of records for wins and it's not good for the game in my opinion to keep shootouts, and on top of that, hand out more and more points.

win in regulation or OT = 2 points

tie after regulation/OT = 1 point

loss in regulation or OT = 0 points

Guest mindfly

Regulation win 3pts

Regulation Loss 0pts

Tie 1pts

OT win 2pts

Remove the SO completely, 5 minutes of 4on4 OT if neither team scores it's a TIE.. yeah good ol 90's TIE. NO WINNER! get it you yanks... :D

I for one love the shootouts!!!! I agree the point system should be changed. Tie's were the worst part of hockey and I hope we never see that garbage again. But at the same time it wouldnt matter to me if they just did contiinuous 4 on 4 or even 3 on 3 untill there is a winner

Regulation win 3pts

Regulation Loss 0pts

Tie 1pts

OT win 2pts

Remove the SO completely, 5 minutes of 4on4 OT if neither team scores it's a TIE.. yeah good ol 90's TIE. NO WINNER! get it you yanks... :D

In the 90's, there were never 3 points given out for a win. I don't remember anything being wrong with the old point system.

During the lockout, there was some paranoia about improving the game for those who never watch hockey (most Americans). That's where the shootout came from. The shootout is basically a camp movie, being offered up for entertainment value only.

Guest mindfly

The system i wrote is what almost every other hockey league have, if you finish them off in 60mins you should get more points than you finish them off i OT, simple as that. The tie exists everywhere in every sport but it appears north american's only see winners and losers.

How about getting rid of the shootout, and going back to ties and no points for an OT loss?

Time to eliminate this Mickey Mouse system altogether. I'm tired of seeing everyone's record being distorted by shootout wins and losses.

How is it possible that I'm agreeing with you? :lol:

Guest Stolberg

The system i wrote is what almost every other hockey league have, if you finish them off in 60mins you should get more points than you finish them off i OT, simple as that. The tie exists everywhere in every sport but it appears north american's only see winners and losers.

In what sport, besides association football, do ties/draws occur frequently? The majority of sports have some sort of overtime system or an extra game to decide the outcome.

Edited by Stolberg

Sooooo if you win in the shootout it doesn't go toward the season number of wins and if you lose it still counts toward the season number of losses? I don't understand. :huh:

Shootout losses don't go into number of losses, they go into OTL and sometimes their own SOL. I imagine wins will be expanded to Wins (regulation and OTW) and shootout wins, so they can compare wins without shootout wins for the purpose of tiebreaking.

Shootout losses don't go into number of losses, they go into OTL and sometimes their own SOL. I imagine wins will be expanded to Wins (regulation and OTW) and shootout wins, so they can compare wins without shootout wins for the purpose of tiebreaking.

OMG they're making it worse...just get rid of the dang shootout and make everybody happy.

OMG they're making it worse...just get rid of the dang shootout and make everybody happy.

How is that worse lol? It means if two teams have the same amount of points, but one team has more of their wins in regulation or OT, they get put ahead of a team that has more of their wins in the shootout.

All they need to do is go to 3 on 3 OT after 4 on 4 (before a shootout) and it will be close to perfect.

It sure seems to me that with the shoot outs in the game every one plays it safe and doesn't push the play in ot. There should be a lot more at stake if you don't score in ot you're not going to take home any point from the game. Make it an 8 min ot, winner gets 2 loser 0. Shoot outs are exciting, but it take away hOckey in it purest form. Just doesn't seem right.

In what sport, besides association football, do ties/draws occur frequently? The majority of sports have some sort of overtime system or an extra game to decide the outcome.

In what sport can guys punch each other in the face until they're too tired to swing anymore, and their only punishment is to sit for five minutes?

I don't care what other sports do really. I love hockey. Shootouts are awful.

Well, It seems like a solid rule.. but Im curious to see how much it actually changes things.. if only someone with more time, effort, knowledge and skill than me could come up with last seasons standings revised under the new tiebreaker.. im predicting no signifgant changes.. since if im reading things correctly the SO Win still counts as a regular win, unless it comes down to a tiebreaker at the end of the season where after points they would rely soley on Regulation and OT Wins.

How is that worse lol? It means if two teams have the same amount of points, but one team has more of their wins in regulation or OT, they get put ahead of a team that has more of their wins in the shootout.

Ohhhhh, ok that makes sense. My bad. :blush: Are they going to change how they do stats sheets then? Like W, L, OTW, OTL, or am I still not understanding it?

Well, It seems like a solid rule.. but Im curious to see how much it actually changes things.. if only someone with more time, effort, knowledge and skill than me could come up with last seasons standings revised under the new tiebreaker.. im predicting no signifgant changes.. since if im reading things correctly the SO Win still counts as a regular win, unless it comes down to a tiebreaker at the end of the season where after points they would rely soley on Regulation and OT Wins.

Last year's playoff seeding wouldn't change, and according to stats from every other year since the shootout has been implemented, neither would any other year. Which is confusing as to why they would come up with this now.