Ozzie article

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Linky

- wants to play till hes 40

- warmed up to being Howies mentor half way through last season

- wants to end career in Detroit

- still talking about chasing records

Considering ozzy is 37... that doesn't project him to retire after this season. I think the organization potentially has other plans.

Guest best poster in LGW history

Yes because Osgood didn't show he could do that when he was actually playing more than once every two months.

how many games did he start in 08-09?

rhetorical question

–n.

A question that conveys a point rather than expects an answer.

As you are a newcomer to LGW, a friendly atmosphere is the typical welcome. Yet, with the lack of quality in your posts and the bloated ego sense of self-worth along with the omnipotent user-name, you will have a steady decline to denial with self-loathing derived from lack of emotional support from all peers around.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Ozzie really didn't have a choice in becoming Howie's mentor. It was either that or sit on the bench miserable. Ozzie is like any pro athlete, he wants to play every day, but it's nice to see that he accepted his new role instead of fighting it. If Howie can be a legitimate #1, I wouldn't mind having Ozzie as a veteran backup that you can rely on...if the price is right.

As you are a newcomer to LGW, a friendly atmosphere is the typical welcome. Yet, with the lack of quality in your posts and the bloated ego sense of self-worth along with the omnipotent user-name, you will have a steady decline to denial with self-loathing derived from lack of emotional support from all peers around.

cool story, bro.

That is not relevant to the point I'm making.

was he not "playing more than once every two months"?

cool story, bro.

was he not "playing more than once every two months"?

I never said he wasn't playing more than once every two months the entire season.

I said when he was playing more than once every two months (which was hyperbole) he showed capability in the backup position. Just because he was rusted on the bench half the season doesn't mean he will be piss-poor in the next couple years.

And considering he has one more year on his contract I would say your salutations to Osgood are a bit premature, no?

And considering he has one more year on his contract I would say your salutations to Osgood are a bit premature, no?

i'm aware that, like draper, we're unfortunately stuck with him for one more year.

at least we can cut the dead weight after this season. 3mil cap hit for those two, and absolutely nothing to offer the team

oh wait, i forgot about "veteran leadership".

I still don't understand the hate on Ozzie. If players like Hossa would have showed up in '09 we could have possibly had back to back cups. Granted there were a lot of injuries but Ozzie was stellar and was Conn Smythe worthy that year. I also think he would have had better numbers last season if he would have been allowed to play more than once every 15 - 20 games. I think it would be hard to find any goalie to play once every 20 games and still be in game form.

i'm aware that, like draper, we're unfortunately stuck with him for one more year.

at least we can cut the dead weight after this season. 3mil cap hit for those two, and absolutely nothing to offer the team

oh wait, i forgot about "veteran leadership".

This is a perfect example of "what have you done for me lately?"

You ignore the Stanley Cup win and Stanley Cup final because he had his first losing season IN HIS CAREER with a team that was not only injured, but based on coaching decisions defferred to Howard for most of the season.

I can see Ozzie's tenure in Detroit lasting exactly as long as McCollum's development stint in GR. To me this means Ozzie will most likely play one or two years beyond this upcoming season. But I would not be suprised to see a Howard/McCollum tandem in 2012/13. Who knows though, anything can happen, especially with goalies in Detroit.

I can see Ozzie's tenure in Detroit lasting exactly as long as McCollum's development stint in GR. To me this means Ozzie will most likely play one or two years beyond this upcoming season. But I would not be suprised to see a Howard/McCollum tandem in 2012/13. Who knows though, anything can happen, especially with goalies in Detroit.

I agree. Obviously he's doing a good job mentoring Howard and he has proven himself capable, so he will do fine as the back up. I'm just hoping that he has more of an opportunity to prove himself to all the doubters the keep saying he's done. Last season was very bad, but the circumstances caused it more than anything.

I think some people have a short-term memory issue of the last successful playoff run. Osgood had an up and down season and when Hasek was replaced, someone named Chris Osgood stepped and well

81515145.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548FDE316A59EACF07B37E7DB277B4070B47B2492E231285CB0E30A760B0D811297

Not to take away from Howard's play last year, but I want to see how this season turns out. Sophomore year for a rookie tender can go south quick.

Edited by Rivalred