36 replies to this topic

#21 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Oh for...

Here's an idea: See how he plays this season, and then decide if we want him back and at what price.

We have a winner...

#22 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

I can see Ozzie's tenure in Detroit lasting exactly as long as McCollum's development stint in GR. To me this means Ozzie will most likely play one or two years beyond this upcoming season. But I would not be suprised to see a Howard/McCollum tandem in 2012/13. Who knows though, anything can happen, especially with goalies in Detroit.

I agree. Obviously he's doing a good job mentoring Howard and he has proven himself capable, so he will do fine as the back up. I'm just hoping that he has more of an opportunity to prove himself to all the doubters the keep saying he's done. Last season was very bad, but the circumstances caused it more than anything.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#23 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

I think some people have a short-term memory issue of the last successful playoff run. Osgood had an up and down season and when Hasek was replaced, someone named Chris Osgood stepped and well

Posted Image

Not to take away from Howard's play last year, but I want to see how this season turns out. Sophomore year for a rookie tender can go south quick.

Edited by Rivalred, 24 August 2010 - 06:25 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#24 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

I would love to have Ozzie as a back up goaltender until 40. Not only does he bring experience / leadership but is a great mentor to Howard / McCollum.

#25 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

rhetorical question

–n.

A question that conveys a point rather than expects an answer.

E_S_A_D? Is that you?

#26 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

why does this always happen when Osgood's name comes up??? lots of people blowing gaskets about how good/not good he is... I thought we all agreed last year he was a mediocre goalie who played for great teams and consequently has better numbers than other goalies of his ilk... such as Arthus Irbe, Dan Cloutier, Damian Rhodes, Ron Tugnutt, Steve Sheilds, Manny Fernendez, etc

#27 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

I can see Ozzie's tenure in Detroit lasting exactly as long as McCollum's development stint in GR. To me this means Ozzie will most likely play one or two years beyond this upcoming season. But I would not be suprised to see a Howard/McCollum tandem in 2012/13. Who knows though, anything can happen, especially with goalies in Detroit.

This is pretty much what I think too. When McCollum is ready, Ozzy will have to go. By that time, Howard will have a lot more experience and will be solid as a starter.

My worry comes in about 2015ish. With both McCollum and Howard being full-time NHL'ers, who are we going to keep, and who will go?

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

Osgood, more often than not always under-appreciated for his career. Last year obviously wasn't his year, partially due to him not fully putting the numbers up, and partially due to coaching decisions. I'm not going to get into how much I think coaching decisions to not put him in affect his play/lack thereof for once game during the new year or whatever.

I'm all for Osgood staying here for as long as his body can hold it physically. I don't care if he's the backup now, I still dig him.

Osgood :beerbuddy:

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

I'm not wings management, and I have no say in what the wings do, but here is my 2 cents:

I believe his play this season as the back up from day one and how well Howard handles his second season will determine how long Osgood is here. If Osgood does a decent job backing up J-Ho and J-Ho has a good season I can see them keeping him on as a back up. But, if for any reason Osgood can not adjust to being a back up for the season or Howard falters really badly, I can see Osgood being nicely, but firmly told his services in Detroit have come to an end. There are some very good goaltending talent coming onto the market next season and if Howard shows he can't take the starting goaltender mantle on his own, I could see Detroit going after a better back-up who can play tandem with Howard.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

I'm not wings management, and I have no say in what the wings do, but here is my 2 cents:

I believe his play this season as the back up from day one and how well Howard handles his second season will determine how long Osgood is here. If Osgood does a decent job backing up J-Ho and J-Ho has a good season I can see them keeping him on as a back up. But, if for any reason Osgood can not adjust to being a back up for the season or Howard falters really badly, I can see Osgood being nicely, but firmly told his services in Detroit have come to an end. There are some very good goaltending talent coming onto the market next season and if Howard shows he can't take the starting goaltender mantle on his own, I could see Detroit going after a better back-up who can play tandem with Howard.

So are you Pro Ozzie?

That should be another one of those issues in your list.

#31 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

So are you Pro Ozzie?

That should be another one of those issues in your list.

I'm pro waiting and seeing... last year was his first real season as a back up, not as a pair or a starter, so like with most wings players last season it could be an off year and next year he could play better, we dont know. Since this is the last year of his contract, I will reserve my opinion until after he proves/disproves his ability to be a good back up.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#32 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:25 AM

I'm pro waiting and seeing... last year was his first real season as a back up, not as a pair or a starter, so like with most wings players last season it could be an off year and next year he could play better, we dont know. Since this is the last year of his contract, I will reserve my opinion until after he proves/disproves his ability to be a good back up.

I'd prefer he become a pair again and the Wings have a 1A and 1B like a couple years ago. If Ozzie wants to be the Wings leading goaltender in wins he'll probably have to get up to that level.

#33 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

I'd prefer he become a pair again and the Wings have a 1A and 1B like a couple years ago. If Ozzie wants to be the Wings leading goaltender in wins he'll probably have to get up to that level.

I don't think thats going to happen... i think if he plays 32 games.... id be very happy.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#34 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

best poster in LGW history

whats up with the name?
Posted Image

#35 best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

whats up with the name?

the best poster in LGW history has the best username in LGW history.

i'm kind of a big deal.

#36 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

E_S_A_D? Is that you?

While the arrogance is certainly there, E_S_A_D at least had the dignity to avoid annoying and outdated internet memes like 'cool story bro' in attempt to one-up others.

#37 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

While the arrogance is certainly there, E_S_A_D at least had the dignity to avoid annoying and outdated internet memes like 'cool story bro' in attempt to one-up others.

the best poster in LGW history has the best username in LGW history.

i'm kind of a big deal.

Like that?

Posted Image