• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

LA Kings sign Willie Mitchell

Rate this topic

I don't wanna see Jack Johnson here. He was a -15 on a Kings squad that made the playoffs last year. He was a -5 in the playoffs against Vancouver as well. Just doesn't seem defensively solid.

Not to mention the fact that his hockey IQ is supposed to be below average. The Wings value the ability to see and read the game very, very highly.

This Mitchell signing really bolsters those screaming Detroit overpaid for Lidstrom.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Mitchell on his best night can't hold a candle to a 40 year old Lidstrom on his worst night.

Oh and 3.5 mil x 2 years for a person coming off severe post-concussion issues is laughable. Holland would never take that kind of risk because he doesn't have to.

He's making more than I expected, for sure, and may have been out of the Wings' price range from the beginning. I know there were some critical of Holland's signings and how they would impact a potential Mitchell contract (among other valid reasoning); but I stressed patience then, until we saw how much he signed for. Presumably knowing he wasn't going to be able to match $3M+ offers, he instead he got the man he was after all along, Modano, and grabbed Salei to shore up the bottom pairing.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Mitchell on his best night can't hold a candle to a 40 year old Lidstrom on his worst night.

Oh and 3.5 mil x 2 years for a person coming off severe post-concussion issues is laughable. Holland would never take that kind of risk because he doesn't have to.

I wonder why you say that.

You two should know me better than that by now... :cool:

Edited by egroen

Mitchell is a great Defensive D man. The Canucks missed him a lot last year. So he is no slouch, with that said I would be pretty concerned that he gets another concussion playing in the same division as Anaheim, San Jose and them. But for 3.5 mill if I was Mitchell id sign and quick.

I'll mention Doughty so people read my post. :lol:

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

8mil for Doughty? No way.

7mil is tops and that's if they overpay by an extra million.

Doughty is great, but not that great.

Try to remember that the Wing's are used to players taking discounts to get resigned. Snagging a first class defensemen as a UFA takes a lot more cash then retaining Capn Nick. If Doughty hit UFA, he'd most probably be commanding 8.5-9 Mil +, but it doesnt matter since unless he wants to leave LA on his own, he wont be able to get away. Shea Weber on the other hand...

Try to remember that the Wing's are used to players taking discounts to get resigned. Snagging a first class defensemen as a UFA takes a lot more cash then retaining Capn Nick. If Doughty hit UFA, he'd most probably be commanding 8.5-9 Mil +, but it doesnt matter since unless he wants to leave LA on his own, he wont be able to get away. Shea Weber on the other hand...

I would have liked Shea Weber coming to the D but since they just made hime captain i dont think he is going anywhere another guy i wouldnt mind if they are still in Cap trouble next year would be Seabrook.

Rafalski-Stuart

Kronwall-Seabrook

??????

True - however he does have some good upside to his overall game...Haven't seen much of him to be honest, but he did well in the Olympics.

I saw him play last year (CenterIce is totally worth every penny) and he doesn't play the most disciplined defensive game. He played decent in the Olympics, yes. But at his probable asking price, he isn't worth it to me. Just my opinion though. A guy i've always wanted wanted in a Wings uniform is Mark Giordano of Calgary. I believe he is a free agent next summer :thumbup:

I would have liked Shea Weber coming to the D but since they just made hime captain i dont think he is going anywhere another guy i wouldnt mind if they are still in Cap trouble next year would be Seabrook.

Rafalski-Stuart

Kronwall-Seabrook

??????

Michigan-native Matt Greene is a free agent next summer. I'd be a big fan of him coming to Detroit.