• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Bill Guerin will NOT be offered a contract

Rate this topic

link

If Bill Guerin hopes to play a 19th NHL season, he will be doing so in a uniform other than the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Pens' general manager Ray Shero informed the veteran winger that he would not be brought back to the Penguins this season.

Several teams reportedly remain interested in the services of the two-time Stanley Cup champion who earned $2 million last season.

I could see him going to Boston for the league minimum. I'm actually kinda surprised by this, and thought the Pens would retain him.

I could see him going to Boston for the league minimum. I'm actually kinda surprised by this, and thought the Pens would retain him.

Aren't they over the cap by like 3 million? They have a full roster right now, so they'll have to shed someone anyway. If they could somehow pawn off Ryder on someone it'd be a step in the right direction.

League minimum? Even at his age, he's still a perennial 20-goal, 45-point scorer who hasn't missed practically any action the past 5 years.

I'd sure as hell take him for the league minimum, just like any other GM in the NHL would....but he's worth (and will get) more than that.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

League minimum? Even at his age, he's still a perennial 20-goal, 45-point scorer who hasn't missed practically any action the past 5 years.

I'd sure as hell take him for the league minimum, just like any other GM in the NHL would....but he's worth (and will get) more than that.

You have to remember that for a large part of last season he was on either one of Malkin or Crosby's wing. Not saying he's entirely washed up, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect 25 goals from him anywhere else then the top line.

He really was a terrible player last year, and his goal totals were almost directly a product of his linemates, more noticeably Crosby.

He is not worth much. A little over a million is as far as someone should go, and that is stretching.

You have to remember that for a large part of last season he was on either one of Malkin or Crosby's wing. Not saying he's entirely washed up, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect 25 goals from him anywhere else then the top line.

Who's basing it on last season? The guy is a perennial 20-25 goal scorer on any team he plays on. Has nothing to do with Malkin or Crosby.

Take a look at his career as a whole.

He really was a terrible player last year, and his goal totals were almost directly a product of his linemates, more noticeably Crosby.

He is not worth much. A little over a million is as far as someone should go, and that is stretching.

Guerin's defense leaves some to be desired but to say he was terrible last year is beyond a stretch. See my post above.

The guy can still put the puck in the net...and for a fairly cheap amount now-a-days. Funny how some rip guys like Guerin who are past their prime, yet they can still put the puck in the net and are going to be paid lightly. That's exactly the type of players you see on the Wings roster year-in and year-out since the cap was instituted. Those are the guys that are needed to successfully round out a team and make them deep.

Which is exactly why I said any NHL GM would jump at him for the league minimum. Nowhere did I say he was worth $4M, but the league minimum is equally ridiculous.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Who's basing it on last season? The guy is a perennial 20-25 goal scorer on any team he plays on. Has nothing to do with Malkin or Crosby.

Take a look at his career as a whole.

Yes, because his level of play when he was in his prime is surly a perfect indication of how a player will perform at age 39. :rolleyes:.

He played well over 17 minutes night last season, paired with two of the top 5 centers in the NHL and put up decent points, but in no way would he be an improvement over anyone in our top 6. Even last year with the Islanders he managed to put up 36 points in 61 games despite getting heavy powerplay and ice time.

Guerin isn't a bad player, and I never said he wasn't good in his prime, but to think he is still an effective top 6 forward in the NHL is pushing it, especially on a team like the Wings. Last season's numbers were a product of heavy ice time and line mates, no matter how good his numbers 10 years ago were.

Yes, because his level of play when he was in his prime is surly a perfect indication of how a player will perform at age 39. :rolleyes:.

He played well over 17 minutes night last season, paired with two of the top 5 centers in the NHL and put up decent points, but in no way would he be an improvement over anyone in our top 6. Even last year with the Islanders he managed to put up 36 points in 61 games despite getting heavy powerplay and ice time.

Guerin isn't a bad player, and I never said he wasn't good in his prime, but to think he is still an effective top 6 forward in the NHL is pushing it, especially on a team like the Wings. Last season's numbers were a product of heavy ice time and line mates, no matter how good his numbers 10 years ago were.

:lol:

Wow, talk about putting words in someone's mouth. Did I ever claim he was a top-6 guy? Did I ever claim his level of play in his prime was an indicator of how he'll play now? Did I ever claim he could crack the Wings' top-6? *All I said* was that Guerin is not a league-minimum player, even at his current age and no matter what team he's on. To assume he is is ridiculous and shows you're not paying attention around the league. Now before you go off again, check out his numbers the year before last or even the year before that if you want a sample of his offensive ability *at this point in his career.*

Instead of being so quick to hit the reply button perhaps you should actually read what was written before going off on your tangent.