• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

It doesn't when he's been putting up the types of numbers his entire career on a multitude of teams.

Wrong. The guy was not good last year. His offensive numbers were almost directly based on the skills of his centermen (primarily Crosby). If you watch the guy play consistently (which Pens fans did) you will agree with that assessment.

Posted Image

#42 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Maybe a season in Tampa? Or do they have too many forwards already?

Tampa's got a plethora of forwards.

St.Louis-Stamkos-Malone
Gagne-Lecavalier-Downie
Durno-Moore-Purcell
Fritz-Thompson-B.Jones
Bergenheim/M.Pouliot

Guerin will have to look elsewhere.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#43 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Guerin's game has hit a brick wall, especially last year. Penguins' fans do not want him back at league minimum... he has utterly destroyed so many golden opportunities created by Malkin and Crosby it is amazing. Though Crosby does have Guerin to partially thank for his Rocket Richard trophy, since Guerin's ineptitude forced Crosby to finish his own opportunities more.

I'll go ahead and state Kopecky could have 20 goals with 1st line and PP minutes playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Edited by egroen, 27 August 2010 - 10:40 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#44 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Tampa's got a plethora of forwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik&feature=related

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#45 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik&feature=related

+1 :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#46 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Wrong. The guy was not good last year. His offensive numbers were almost directly based on the skills of his centermen (primarily Crosby). If you watch the guy play consistently (which Pens fans did) you will agree with that assessment.

Did you just completely ignore what I wrote to make your argument?

A perennial scorer with one "bad" season (in which he still put up 46 points) is not enough to say the guy is now garbage and only worth the league minimum. Again, the key word here is "league minimum!"
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#47 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

Did you just completely ignore what I wrote to make your argument?

A perennial scorer with one "bad" season (in which he still put up 46 points) is not enough to say the guy is now garbage and only worth the league minimum. Again, the key word here is "league minimum!"

Posted Image

When did I say he was only worth league minimum?

Edited by Doc Holliday, 27 August 2010 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

:lol:

Wow, talk about putting words in someone's mouth. Did I ever claim he was a top-6 guy? Did I ever claim his level of play in his prime was an indicator of how he'll play now? Did I ever claim he could crack the Wings' top-6? *All I said* was that Guerin is not a league-minimum player, even at his current age and no matter what team he's on. To assume he is is ridiculous and shows you're not paying attention around the league. Now before you go off again, check out his numbers the year before last or even the year before that if you want a sample of his offensive ability *at this point in his career.*

Instead of being so quick to hit the reply button perhaps you should actually read what was written before going off on your tangent.

You might be one of the most argumentative mods I have ever come across. Not sure if it's refreshing or annoying.

First off... numbers from two and three years ago are not numbers from *this point*. They are from a couple years ago.

Secondly, it wouldn't be out of the realm to see him accept league minimum. Especially because if he laces them up again, he will not want to play for anybody but a contender. How many contenders have an extra 1+ million laying around?

#49 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Who's basing it on last season? The guy is a perennial 20-25 goal scorer on any team he plays on. Has nothing to do with Malkin or Crosby.

Take a look at his career as a whole.

the age guerin's at with his totals going down annually since his 36 goal campaign in STL in 06-07, without playing on a 1st line with crosby or malkin, he'll get 15 goals tops on some teams 2nd line if he gets 2nd line mins. if on 3rd line, pencil him in for 10 and 35 pts.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#50 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

Why, because I actively post on this forum? My stance hasn't changed in here and all I've done is defend my original comment. If people challenge me, why wouldn't I respond back?

It's all good. I decided that it was refreshing. ;)

:facepalm: I had to use those numbers because EZ "wasn't allowing" me to use the previous season's total given he was centered by Crosby and Malkin. Since he wasn't playing for any other team that had less talented centers, how can anyone state with any precise accuracy how he would finished?

Nobody can, obviously, but you seem to be automatically assuming that he will score 20 goals no matter where he plays... what's the difference between auto-assuming he will and auto-assuming he wont? You are just going the opposite way that most everyone else is going.

Not a ton, but there are a couple out there (I.E. WSH, SJS).

I'd actually like to see him land in San Jose if anywhere. I feel like he would drop off big time in Washington for some reason. I see him ending the season in obscurity there. San Jose seems like a much better fit for him.

Wonder what the odds are that he signs in Chicago for the league minimum. :)

#51 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

1st Bolded part: No one challenged you. You just thought they did.

2nd bolded part: Averaging out a players productivity over a career is asinine when you're looking to sign a player. By the logic you were trying to use, Fedorov should have been signed for the 3rd line center position

3rd bolded part: Yes, we get it, Guerin isn't a league minimum player. The sky is also blue. No one disagrees with either, but you still seem to be talking as if you think people disagree.

Never once did I claim that a player should be paid *a new contract* based on their entire career. What I was saying is that Guerin has put up steady numbers his entire career on both good and bad teams. I had to use that argument when EZ stated his numbers were inflated last season because of playing alongside Crosby and Malkin.

Do you really believe this or are you just spouting it to try and save face? I know Crosby is hated around here, but you seriously can't compare point totals by playing alongside him for 17 minutes a night to playing with Hudler and Modano for 13-14 minutes a night. Sorry, I like big mike and Huds as much as the next EVA, but this is not comparable. Crosby is one of the most productive centers in the league, and the difference in opposition does not make up for 3-5 minutes more ice time a night and the talent difference.

Probably not completely, but I do think it would bridge the gap.

And no, I wasn't trying to save face one bit, nor was I trying to be argumentative.

Nobody can, obviously, but you seem to be automatically assuming that he will score 20 goals no matter where he plays... what's the difference between auto-assuming he will and auto-assuming he wont? You are just going the opposite way that most everyone else is going.

You're correct...there's no difference. Simply put, since we can't auto-assume I was going by his entire career, and even more notably his two most recent seasons before last year while playing on a s***ty NYI team.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).