• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Secret

Should we try a new top Defensive pairing?

Rate this topic

I was asking how come you think it's pointless yes.

EDIT: definitely wasn't thinking when that one was typed my apologies.

It's cool. I think it's pointless right now because I don't see anything from Kronwall that's going to make me think he's going to improve that pairing any better than Rafalski. Last season was the only stagnant season IMO. They dealt with all kinds of injuries and nothing seemed to go right until late in the season when they could actually put a streak of wins together.

Only good reason I could see switching them would be because of Kronwall's physicality, but then again, he didn't show alot of that last season. His overall defensive game was pretty solid though. Offensively they're a wash.

I mean I wouldn't be against the idea of switching them, but I'd rather just stick with what we have been going with and not let one semi-bad season make me think a change is needed.

It's cool. I think it's pointless right now because I don't see anything from Kronwall that's going to make me think he's going to improve that pairing any better than Rafalski. Last season was the only stagnant season IMO. They dealt with all kinds of injuries and nothing seemed to go right until late in the season when they could actually put a streak of wins together.

Only good reason I could see switching them would be because of Kronwall's physicality, but then again, he didn't show alot of that last season. His overall defensive game was pretty solid though. Offensively they're a wash.

I mean I wouldn't be against the idea of switching them, but I'd rather just stick with what we have been going with and not let one semi-bad season make me think a change is needed.

Not quite sure its just thinking going back to last season only. They have for the last couple of seasons not clicked nearly as well as the championship year, of course everything went well that year. Personally, the Kronner-Nick pairing has been a thought of mine for some time now and I think what better time to shuffle a bit and see what comes of it. In fact could be the best pairing in the NHL as I see Kronner really stepping into the upper echelon of d-men in this league. Remains to be seen.

Edited by HankthaTank

Not quite sure its just thinking going back to last season only. They have for the last couple of seasons not clicked nearly as well as the championship year, of course everything went well that year. Personally, the Kronner-Nick pairing has been a thought of mine for some time now and I think what better time to shuffle a bit and see what comes of it. In fact could be the best pairing in the NHL as I see Kronner really stepping into the upper echelon of d-men in this league. Remains to be seen.

I guess it's the only way to find out.

To have Rafalski out with Hudler/Modano/Cleary for better puck distribution for a killer 3rd line scoring threat...nice.

I was going to talk about the poor defensive ability on that, with Raffi on 3rd, but a 3rd scoring line is an interesting idea for sure.

I am almost thinking this could be redundant to put Ericsson on these pairings anyway. Probably Kindl soon enough if he keeps up his s***. Hell, Doug Janik is a solid option on the bottom pair.

I don't think Kindl will take over Ericsson's spot. E had a bad rookie year. It happens. He has potential defensively... Kindl is not likely to be very good in his own end. From what I understand, he's very Mike Green like. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded at some point...

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Salei/Stuart

I still say these pairs, as Zohan Franzen posted earlier, are the pairings Babcock should switch to. While they don't provide the same kind of top end pair Lids/Raffi was, Kronwall/Rafalski would make a solid match as two defensemen with good puck skills, good skating skills, and good two way awareness. Ericsson would be Lidstrom's primary partner, and Salei would be Stuart's primary partner, with whatever swapping in and out of the lineup happens with Kindl and Meech if he stays. This provides a strong defensive presence on all three pairings.

Another option is:

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Salei

Rafalski/Stuart

This allows the various lineup changes between Ericsson/Salei/Kindl/Meech to keep all of the pairings solid, as well as providing a more rounded lineup with a more capable third pairing than other options because it places the #3 and #4 defensemen on the third pairing, and their skills fit well together.

Edited by eva unit zero

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Salei/Stuart

I still say these pairs, as Zohan Franzen posted earlier, are the pairings Babcock should switch to. While they don't provide the same kind of top end pair Lids/Raffi was, Kronwall/Rafalski would make a solid match as two defensemen with good puck skills, good skating skills, and good two way awareness. Ericsson would be Lidstrom's primary partner, and Salei would be Stuart's primary partner, with whatever swapping in and out of the lineup happens with Kindl and Meech if he stays. This provides a strong defensive presence on all three pairings.

Another option is:

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Salei

Rafalski/Stuart

This allows the various lineup changes between Ericsson/Salei/Kindl/Meech to keep all of the pairings solid, as well as providing a more rounded lineup with a more capable third pairing than other options because it places the #3 and #4 defensemen on the third pairing, and their skills fit well together.

Kronwall and Rafalski on the same pairing?

Those two guys have a tendency to pinch in at the wrong time and to occasionally turn pucks over. Playing them together is not a great idea.

I am not to worried about what pairings they decide to use. I can't see Howard cracking that much this year even if he does have a sophmore slump I don't think it will make much of a difference. The hardest thing for Howard this year will be trying to stay occupied during the long stretches of boredom. I have a feeling that this year is going to be alot like the 07/08 season and the 08/09 season where Detroit controls the puck about 80% of the time. If the Wings stay healthy I can't see Howard having very many nights of 30 plus shots. Just look at the forward lines there is not one line on there that doesn't have atleast one two way forward on it. Most of the forward lines have two, two way players on its and the fourth line has all 3 lol. Combine that with the D-core we have and it makes a really strong defensive team. There is alot of talk how offensive of a team the Wings are but very few people realize the defensive strenghts the Wings have. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filpula, Franzen, Cleary, Modano, Eaves, Helm, and Abdelkader are all strong two way players. Another benefit of having so many two way players on the team is it open up more scoring options for the D. Considering our d is filled with offensive d-man this is really good. Lidstrom, Rafalki, Kronwall, Stuart, and Ericsson can all score. So essentially we do not only have 3 strong lines but we have 3 strong line packed with two way forwards who can cover the d well they jump up in the play. This team has all the potential to be force in the NHL. It has all the piece just need to stay injury free and this team could be cup champs.

:clap: THIS!

Lidström - Ericsson

Kronwall - Rafalski

Salei - Stuart

This is what I would like to see. Big E really played his best while with Lids, and would pave the path for the future for Ericsson if he spent a season or two with him. I agree that there are many combos that work well also...I love this team for sure, drop the puck!

I would try these pairings. Watched some old games and big E played with Nick and that's when he played his best hockey.

Lidström - Ericsson

Kronwall - Rafalski

Salei - Stuart