• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Power Forwards

Rate this topic

This analogy seems to work so ill go off of it again lol (damn I'm good with analogies), like you said not many bands play like sabbath but when one comes around that does it is definitely something special and its too bad its so rare anymore. I agree franzen is a new age power forward but he is not a true power forward

This analogy seems to work so ill go off of it again lol (damn I'm good with analogies), like you said not many bands play like sabbath but when one comes around that does it is definitely something special and its too bad its so rare anymore. I agree franzen is a new age power forward but he is not a true power forward

True, but said bands also tend not to be (as) commercially successful (oldschool powerforwards aren't as successful in today's NHL) because the tastes and demand of the market center around the newer metal (the rules of the modern NHL fit modern power forwards better than oldschool ones).

saying z is a power forward is like saying guys like crosby and ovie are two way forwards, just because they do it sometimes doesn't make them that. And going off eva's def perry is a power forward and so is dats.

Guys like dats and z are multi tool players to take jargon from baseball a five tool player essentially

saying z is a power forward is like saying guys like crosby and ovie are two way forwards, just because they do it sometimes doesn't make them that. And going off eva's def perry is a power forward and so is dats.

Guys like dats and z are multi tool players to take jargon from baseball a five tool player essentially

Perry would definitely fit the bill, as much more more than a lot of guys I listed. Datsyuk is capable of using his body that way but generally doesn't. The same is true of Crosby. Both of those star centers could be much more aggressive physically in creating offense instead of using their skill and awareness. Whether that would make them better offensively, I don't know. But they have the size and strength to do so , but choose not to. So while they COULD play the style, they are not power forwards. Z is much more directly physical when creating offense than Datsyuk or Crosby, due in part due to playmaking ability; Z is not the same level of playmaker, but if he clears space with his body he has a shooting lane or passing lane. Dats, Crosby, Savard, and other high-end playmakers can use their threat as a passer to open space for themselves and their teammates. Joe Thornton is a good example of a player who could be an old-school power forward, but because he's arguably the best playmaker in the league he is much less physical than he could be.

Perry would definitely fit the bill, as much more more than a lot of guys I listed. Datsyuk is capable of using his body that way but generally doesn't. The same is true of Crosby. Both of those star centers could be much more aggressive physically in creating offense instead of using their skill and awareness. Whether that would make them better offensively, I don't know. But they have the size and strength to do so , but choose not to. So while they COULD play the style, they are not power forwards. Z is much more directly physical when creating offense than Datsyuk or Crosby, due in part due to playmaking ability; Z is not the same level of playmaker, but if he clears space with his body he has a shooting lane or passing lane. Dats, Crosby, Savard, and other high-end playmakers can use their threat as a passer to open space for themselves and their teammates. Joe Thornton is a good example of a player who could be an old-school power forward, but because he's arguably the best playmaker in the league he is much less physical than he could be.

Watch clips of Zetterberg on the rush when he is confronted by a defender. 9 times out of 10 he will skate around them or use positioning to get by the them. Very rarely do you see Zetterberg go right at the defender and straight to the net. He will try and beat them on the outside then use his momentum and body position to cut into the net. That is not how a power forward rush the net. Now go watch some clips of Franzen watch how he reacts when he gets the puck 9 times out of 10 he drives straight to the net. Watch most of Franzen goals they usually come 1 of 3 ways. First way is him driving to the net he will go right at the defence and shot it right before any contact is made but none the less its still a direct drive to the net. He also has the skill set to deke his way through the defender but if you watch him when he does it he is always heading directly for the net. Second way Franzen gets goals is off of rebound whether is standing in front or driving to the net. The third main way he scores is getting a pass for a one timer which a direct result of him driving to the net. The one thing that is common to all three of these types of goals is he is always driving to the net. Sure I know someone going to say that not all the way he scored goals I realize that he score more then in those three scenarios but the bulk of his goals are scored by driving to the net. If we look at Zetterberg goals yes he has some that come of a rebounds but his game is more find open space or create your own space by having a good position. Remember the goal Zetterberg scored against the Canucks last season with 0.3 seconds left in overtime. If you watch what he does he gets the puck moves up the boards cuts into the middle of the ice use his positioning to get a step ahead of the Canuck defender and scores. If it was Franzen in the same situation he would have pivoted and charged straight at the net. That is why Franzen is a power forward and Zetterberg is not. They play two distinct style that are not similar to each other in anyway.

Zetterberg is sort of on the edge, but he does often push his way right through rather than go around. The pushing through is one of the things I was using to define power forwards, and it's something Zetterberg does much more than most high end scorers. Sure, not more than an Ovechkin, Iginla, Nash, Doan, or Lucic. But those guys are the kind of guys who are as close as you get to the "80s" power forward nowadays.

I'm surprised I haven't seem any backlash re:Jokinen. I was certain that was coming, because he doesn't fight.

Here lies the problem with your argument. There are so many players who are more capable of using their bodies effectively than Zetterberg. Does Zetterberg use his body at times? Yes. Does he use it enough to be considered a power forward? No.

I still fail to see how Zetterberg is a willing fighter.

Here lies the problem with your argument. There are so many players who are more capable of using their bodies effectively than Zetterberg. Does Zetterberg use his body at times? Yes. Does he use it enough to be considered a power forward? No.

I still fail to see how Zetterberg is a willing fighter.

A willing fighter is someone who is willing to fight. Zetterberg, while he hasn't fought much, has fought when challenged. Does that not make him a willing fighter? Not starting a fight if he gets hit doesn't mean he's not a willing fighter. If it did, then there are no willing fighters in the league.

Z is like any great player he changes his game based on his opposition. If a guy like pronger or chara is on the ice z isn't going to power his way by them, but if it's guys like a lebda or meech he is more likely to power through guys like that. Whereas a player like getzlaf or old school bert would just go through the other player no matter who it is.

as much as I hate the blackhawks, you can't deny that they've got something cookin over there with their first rounder in 08, Kyle Beach.

06-07, 29 goals, 196 PIM

07-08, 27 goals, 222 PIM

08-09, 54 goals, 165 PIM

09-10, 52 goals, 186 PIM

now, I'd bet anything saying that he wont have that kind of production when he makes the big club, but still.

as much as I hate the blackhawks, you can't deny that they've got something cookin over there with their first rounder in 08, Kyle Beach.

06-07, 29 goals, 196 PIM

07-08, 27 goals, 222 PIM

08-09, 54 goals, 165 PIM

09-10, 52 goals, 186 PIM

now, I'd bet anything saying that he wont have that kind of production when he makes the big club, but still.

Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in the juniors. :P

Also, Beach only had 24 in 08-09, not 54. 09-10 was his first explosive year.

A willing fighter is someone who is willing to fight. Zetterberg, while he hasn't fought much, has fought when challenged. Does that not make him a willing fighter? Not starting a fight if he gets hit doesn't mean he's not a willing fighter. If it did, then there are no willing fighters in the league.

When did Zetterberg willingly fight?

Malkin initiated the whole fight, and Hank didn't look like he even knew what was going on. Just like Datsyuk with Niedermayer.

Guest Stolberg

Some current power forwards:

Jarome Iginla

Chris Stewart

Mike Richards

Ryane Clowe

Steve Downie

Shane Doan

Ryan Kesler (maybe)

David Backes

Wayne Simmonds

Z has fought once in his NHL career. Do you honestly think that was the only time he has been challenged to fight? A good example of this is Crosby going after him last year (when Howard got involved). Like I said, this doesn't make him any less of a player, but he is not a willing fighter.