• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

New numbers for a couple of Wings

Rate this topic

My link

• Per DetroitHockey.net's Clark Rasmussen, RedWingsCentral posted its list of the Red Wings' official training camp roster including the players' numbers, and some of the players' numbers will surprise you--The Wings will allow Ruslan Salei to wear #24; Aaron Downey will wear #32 this time around; Ilari Filppula will wear #41 to compliment his brother Valtteri's #51; Jakub Kindl's swapping out #46 for #4; The Wings will allow Brendan Smith to wear #2; Thomas McCollum will stick with #38, but Joey MacDonald's going back to his Curtis Joseph-inspired #31; In the "surprisingly low numbers" category, Jordan Owens will wear #15, Tomas Tatar's inheriting Ville Leino's #21, Jamie Tardif will wear #29, Brian Lashoff will wear #25, Logan Pyett snags Brett Lebda's #22, Travis Ehrhardt will wear #27 and Doug Janik will stick with #37 [DetroitHockey.net, RedWingsCentral]

Apologies if this has been posted before, and apologies if no one cares, but here you go.

I'm liking Kindl's swap to #4, and Tatar in Leino's #21. :thumbup:

How in the hell is #22 going to be used? It was destined for the rafters!!!

Seriously, neat article.

Side note - Gonna be weird to see someone in Fischer's number. I'm not saying that #2 needed to be retired, I'm just saying that once Smith hits the big leagues, it's gonna take a couple dozen games to adjust to it.

Edited by FireCaptain

Guest CaliWingsNut

How in the hell is #22 going to be used? It was destined for the rafters!!!

of the Air Canada Centre?

Interesting. I guess they're starting to allow it...

But they didn't like Modano take 16? (Or was it 6?)

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535648

“I wanted No. 6, but they told me about Larry Aurie,” said Modano, referring to Aurie, who played between 1927-39, and had his number retired by former Wings owner James Norris.

“I thought it would be easy to just flip 9 to 6,” Modano said. “I would have loved 6, but maybe 90.”

Uh-oh...

I thought they wanted to keep that number out of circulation in respect to Red Kelly?

i don't think so..

Kyle Quincey had #4 before he was waived a couple of years back

Uh-oh...

I thought they wanted to keep that number out of circulation in respect to Red Kelly?

Red Kelly's number has never been retired, despite the fact that he was the best defenseman in Red Wings history until Nick Lidstrom came along.

i don't think so..

Kyle Quincey had #4 before he was waived a couple of years back

Yeah that's true.

At the same time, we've had Jamie Pushor, Uwe Krupp, Jamie Rivers and Kyle Quincey as stated in this thread. Guys who didn't make all that much impact as Red Wings. Kindl doesn't exactly have a number with good juju around it, which doesn't help the fact that many already think he's a bust. Red Kelly is cursing that number from the heavens.

So how are they going to be honoring Probert? I know 24 won't be retired but feels odd not to take it out of circulation at least this year.

This honouring Probert stuff has really gotta stop. The guy finished his career with a different team, and known as an enforcer first and foremost (I know he had some points too). I know its unfortunate that he passed away earlier then he should've but its not like the Vladdy situation where he was on the team when it happened. I love Probie and everything he did for this team but really his number does not deserve to be taken out of circulation or anything. A jersey patch or number on the helmets maybe nut not honouring his number

I think salei should skate out into the home opener with a PROBERT patch over his name on the 24. then take it off when the game starts.