• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

So how are they going to be honoring Probert? I know 24 won't be retired but feels odd not to take it out of circulation at least this year.

#22 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

So how are they going to be honoring Probert? I know 24 won't be retired but feels odd not to take it out of circulation at least this year.

Salei will wear 24 apparently.

http://redwingscentr...camp_roster.php

#23 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

i don't think so..

Kyle Quincey had #4 before he was waived a couple of years back

Yeah that's true.

At the same time, we've had Jamie Pushor, Uwe Krupp, Jamie Rivers and Kyle Quincey as stated in this thread. Guys who didn't make all that much impact as Red Wings. Kindl doesn't exactly have a number with good juju around it, which doesn't help the fact that many already think he's a bust. Red Kelly is cursing that number from the heavens.

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

I know it won't be retired but just sad to see someone other than DMAC wearing #25.

esteef

Maybe Callahan?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

This honouring Probert stuff has really gotta stop. The guy finished his career with a different team, and known as an enforcer first and foremost (I know he had some points too). I know its unfortunate that he passed away earlier then he should've but its not like the Vladdy situation where he was on the team when it happened. I love Probie and everything he did for this team but really his number does not deserve to be taken out of circulation or anything. A jersey patch or number on the helmets maybe nut not honouring his number

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#26 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

I think salei should skate out into the home opener with a PROBERT patch over his name on the 24. then take it off when the game starts.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#27 Bingocomedy

Bingocomedy

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

If I remember correctly, Uwe Krupp use to wear # 4 as well.....

#28 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

This honouring Probert stuff has really gotta stop. The guy finished his career with a different team, and known as an enforcer first and foremost (I know he had some points too). I know its unfortunate that he passed away earlier then he should've but its not like the Vladdy situation where he was on the team when it happened. I love Probie and everything he did for this team but really his number does not deserve to be taken out of circulation or anything. A jersey patch or number on the helmets maybe nut not honouring his number

I dont like to speak for someone but I assumed he meant just keep it out of circulation for one season or so, not retire it. I would have liked that to happen also.

#29 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

I dont like to speak for someone but I assumed he meant just keep it out of circulation for one season or so, not retire it. I would have liked that to happen also.

Yeah but then you have a guy on your team who wants 24 possibly but he wears a different number for one season then the next season he can switch to number 24? It just seems really odd because he did nothing to earn his number being out of circulation even for a year. The guy passed away, its sad that it happened but he did play the second half of his career with another team and wasn't a great player, just a great fighter. If every time a former wing died their number was taken out of circulation, even just for one year, it would cause a whack of troubles for people trying to pick jerseys

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#30 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Yeah but then you have a guy on your team who wants 24 possibly but he wears a different number for one season then the next season he can switch to number 24? It just seems really odd because he did nothing to earn his number being out of circulation even for a year. The guy passed away, its sad that it happened but he did play the second half of his career with another team and wasn't a great player, just a great fighter. If every time a former wing died their number was taken out of circulation, even just for one year, it would cause a whack of troubles for people trying to pick jerseys

You can make a case that Probert did as much as Vladdy did for this team and this city and Vlad's number is still out of circulation.

#31 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I think salei should skate out into the home opener with a PROBERT patch over his name on the 24. then take it off when the game starts.

Actually I think It would be fitting if ALL the players wore a 24 Probert Jersey for pre-game then put on their actual jerseys when the game starts. Those are my thoughts...not yours on whatever day it is in August..

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

You can make a case that Probert did as much as Vladdy did for this team and this city and Vlad's number is still out of circulation.

I would like to see you make that case first of all. And thats not even the point, Vladdy was this teams number one defenseman and STILL PLAYING for this team when the accident happened. Vladdy very well could have been still playing on this team if that accident didnt happen. Probie had been out of hockey for a while and the team he retired from and played the entire second half of his career for wasn't even Detroit.

But seriously if you wanna make an argument about Probert doing as much for this team as Vladdy did then I would love to see it. Vladdy was the runner up for the norris the year of the accident and was a huge piece in our drought ending stanley cup win. Those 2 facts alone pretty much negate anything Probert did.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

I would like to see you make that case first of all. And thats not even the point, Vladdy was this teams number one defenseman and STILL PLAYING for this team when the accident happened. Vladdy very well could have been still playing on this team if that accident didnt happen. Probie had been out of hockey for a while and the team he retired from and played the entire second half of his career for wasn't even Detroit.

But seriously if you wanna make an argument about Probert doing as much for this team as Vladdy did then I would love to see it. Vladdy was the runner up for the norris the year of the accident and was a huge piece in our drought ending stanley cup win. Those 2 facts alone pretty much negate anything Probert did.

And just for the record, newfy is a grit slappy arguing against Probert. So this is legit, and I agree with him, but thats not the point :D

#NOMOREKINDL

#34 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

I dont want to turn this into a Vlad bash because I love the guy and he was great but before the accident he wasnt universally loved by Wings fans. Probert was arguably as popular as Stevie Y and was an all-star while playing with the Wings before they became really succesful under Scotty Bowman.

Im not saying Probert was better than Vladdy I'm just saying that they should have retired his number for at least one season.

#35 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

I can't make that case. Probert died to early and in a tragic way so I can give a pass to anyone that wants to elevate him a level higher than I think they should. I personally think of him as a Blackhawk more than a Wing, so you could make a case for me being nuts. :rolleyes:
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#36 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

I've got no issues with any of them. I think Kindl will look good with the #4.

#37 woodrow40

woodrow40

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

They'll honor him by getting in 24 fights this season. :boxing:

Wouldn't that be something?

#38 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Actually I think It would be fitting if ALL the players wore a 24 Probert Jersey for pre-game then put on their actual jerseys when the game starts. Those are my thoughts...not yours on whatever day it is in August..

Apparently, they're 89x's thoughts really.

#39 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

Rick Zombo also wore #4!

#40 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts