• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Coming To America! DET @ TBL Feb 17th

Rate this topic

Hey everyone! Me and girlfriend are leaving the rainy shores of England for three weeks in February to visit her grandparents in Tampa. My planning of dates had nothing to do with that being the only time The Wings were in Tampa this coming season (hehe) so my girlfriend is taking me to the game! It will be our first ever NHL game as it's pretty tough for us to get over from the UK a lot. This is one of the reasons that I was happy Stevie went there (not to mention Vinny is one of my favourite non-Wings players).

Just wondering if anyone had been to see the Wings at Tampa and what the best arrangements were such as tickets (I don't really suspect it'll be a sellout and I've heard stories where people just walk up to rink side seats etc, if not I'll just buy them) and things such as where and when players arrive in case I can meet some of them (and of course Stevie Y although I fear he may not be easy to catch). It will be our early anniversary present (1 year!) so would love it to be a special treat for us both. She's even been in Germany and met a woman from Detroit whom she learnt about Bob Probert from!

Both looking forward to it, and me especially as it will be my first trip to the USA.

Thanks guys and girls!

Gabriel

I very well may be incorrect, but I know that Matt and co. had planned some Invasion of the Wingsfans to Florida trip sometime around February or March or something. There may be a plethora of us down there when you fly in. It might be worth investigating, but to answer your question: I have only seen the Wings play at the Joe.

I wouldn't wait too long to buy tickets. While I doubt if the game would be a sellout you might miss out on good seats due to the heavy influx of Michigan refugees living in the area. I went to the entire Tigers vs. Rays series in/near Tampa last year and the stadium had just as many Tigers fans in attendance as there were Rays fans. We had a great time in the parking lot before each game.

Just thought I should add that February is prime snowbird season as well - cities like Sarasota and St. Petes are filled with people from Michigan at that time of year.

Edited by Glubki

That's pretty awesome that the first time you visit the US you'll get a chance to see the Wings.

A similar story is going to happen to me. I'm originally from Mexico, but right now I'm iin college in a border town in New Mexico. I have an aunt that lives in atlanta and pays for my cell phone and occasionally gives me money. So I've been really wanting to go visit here because of how cool she is. So we were talking on the phone and then she started nagging me about going to see her, and I tell her I really do want to, and I can do it in December when I'm done with the college semester. Go to see the thrashers schedule to see which games I could catch while there.

So I'm looking on the December dates and out of the corner of my eye I see "Detroit" a little bit above. I started thinking how it sucked that they would be there like two weeks before I was. And then it hit me. I started getting overly excited and jumping up and down in my seat. I usually have thanksgiving break two weeks before the semester finishes. i quickly went to my school's site to check dates and true enough, I have that whole week off of when the Wings are in Atlanta.

So i called my aunt and told her I'd go visit in November instead. It'll also be my first ever NHL game and for it to be a Wings game is just awesome after following them very closely since they first won the cup in 1997.

Guest screwdahawks

There are several places in the area of the rink to eat and I strongly suggest that you eat either before or after the game as the food and prices at the rink are HORRIBLE. Tried a hotdog the first time we went to watch TB play the Wings at the Forum, $4.00 for this disgusting little thing that I threw away after the first bite. It's been 20 years since we moved away from the Detroit area but one of my fondest memories is going to see the Wings, Lions, Pistons or Tigers and stuffing my face with great hotdogs...

Like Glubki said, there are a lot of people from Michigan down here. When I went two years ago, it was at least close to being sold out. There were as many Red Wings fans there as Lightning fans. This year, I would expect even more because of Steve Yzerman. I also heard they are selling more season tickets this year.

Went to a game there this past season and the building was actually a nice surprise...pretty good views, good room to get around...and best of all buy a souvenir beer cup for 9 bucks and you get unlimited refills till the cutoff sales time in the 3rd!

Tampa itself is a good area for the most part and parking is very accesible. Some lots if I remember correctly were like 5 bucks and maybe only a short block or 2 walk to the gates. For other ativities to try...Busch Gardens is a fun spot to go to if you like animals and rides. Hope the trip is fun!

I am going to the game also, the day after the wings play the panthers, if you want the special trip, go to both games.

I've never had any luck meeting any of the wings, but with yzerman in tampa my chances have gotten better.

Hope your first NHL game is as good as my first.

December 26, 1996, Merry Christmas to me!

A Wings fan for life was born that day.

I heckled Jim Carey all night, calling him the Cable Guy.

Fedorov, my favorite player before this game, cemented my fanship with 4 in regulation, and the game winner in OT.

Still can't believe that just happened to be my first game.

If i never meet a player, i saw that game.

I wish I had some real advice, but I've never been to Florida, so all I can say is that I hope you have a blast! I'm sure you will. And hey, in all likelihood it'll be colder inside the arena than it is outside, so enjoy! Of course, I just looked at Wikipedia, and it said last year was the coldest winter they've had in a while - not to be Debbie Downer or anything... t was kind of a weird winter last year in general, though; even we got a lot of rain...hopefully this winter will be a little more normal.

Well, anyway, you won't be looking at ski jackets and long underwear like I am, at least - I'm going to JLA for the first time in March, and the last time I was in weather colder than about 45 degrees was when I was visiting my relatives in Nebraska during the big blizzard of 1997 (by their standards, not mine, hehe). Anyway...it could be 40 below when I get to Detroit, but I know I'll still have the time of my life - I can't wait!! Tim Horton's is calling me! ;) Hope you have a great time as well, and I'd like to extend an early welcome to the U.S.!

Guest screwdahawks

Don't forget who the visiting team is.

Oh, and one word: Bern's.

YES !:thumbup: And if you like seafood, MITCHELL"S FISH MARKET!

Edited by screwdahawks

I'll be there, section 326 row L. No need to worry about weather, even the winters in FL are mild, in February it might be cool enough to where you can wear a hockey jersey without sweating through it.