• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Kirk Maltby nearing 1 year, 2 way deal

Rate this topic

I'm ok with this. He'll be good as a mentor for the kids in GR. And, he'll make a decent fill if we need an emergency call up.

And it seems like he knows what his role would be on the team, so there's very little chance that he would crack the lineup (thus robbing someone on the 4th line of ice time).

So if this is true, and it happens...

16 forwards. The fourth line will be a competition between:

Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Draper, Maltby, Ritola.

That list is in order of how likely they are to earn a spot.

So Ritola is probably traded before the end of camp. The Wings will probably try to send Maltby to Grand Rapids, as he offers the big club nothing without several bottom-six injuries.

In an odd way, Maltby being signed might have increased the chance of keeping Meech. Adding Maltby to the group at TC puts a different angle towards Eaves/Miller who are the two players Meech is likely competing with for a roster spot.

Edited by eva unit zero

So if this is true, and it happens...

16 forwards. The third line will be a competition between:

Abdelkader, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Draper, Maltby, Ritola.

I believe you mean 4th line? 3rd line is pretty much set at Hudler-Modano-Cleary.

Good deal - I think this turned out the best way it could. Welcome back, dude!

edit: "Good deal"? Where did that come from? Some people have senior moments...I, apparently, have Minnesota moments. You betcha.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

Guest mindfly

I'm ok with this. He'll be good as a mentor for the kids in GR. And, he'll make a decent fill if we need an emergency call up.

And it seems like he knows what his role would be on the team, so there's very little chance that he would crack the lineup (thus robbing someone on the 4th line of ice time).

I don't want Maltby to get the first emergency call up, that should rightfully go to the most promising PROSPECT, like tatar or someone.

I don't want Maltby to get the first emergency call up, that should rightfully go to the most promising PROSPECT, like tatar or someone.

That depends on who goes down injured, at what stage of the season and so forth. If you're sitting cozy at or near the top of the conference and its just a usual roster player that goes down, you call in the young guy and let him get some experience. If its an important veteran or the team is in a position where it needs to perform, you call in the experienced, stable vet.

Honestly, I hope we're in the position where we can afford to call the kids up.-

Why would a fan possibly care if it's a two-way deal or not? Do you pay his salary?

I think more than anything, from a fan perspective, it shows that the player knows he could/is going to and is willing to play in the minors for a pay cut if he doesn't do something relatively spectacular to make the NHL roster.

Guest mindfly

Imagine if Tatar plays like a possessed little man in training camp, would he crack the roster? kenny always say "we will put the best team on the ice every night" but i don't think that's the truth, then draper, maltby etc would have been ditched 2 seasons ago...i almost feel sad for the young guns reading how they hope to crack their roster but even if they outplayed some players they would still keep them in the farm team, cause that's what ken holland do, they don't have to go through waivers so just let them get overdone in grand rapids instead, in most cases this is good, but some players just have elite talent that needs to get to the nhl earlier, has there even been a prospect with maximum 1 year in GR that has cracked the detroit line-up after 04-05 lockout? (not counting franzen as he was alot older) Hudler one year? Kronwall one year? hmm is that all? did filppula play 1 or 2 year in ahl?

Edited by mindfly

Why would a fan possibly care if it's a two-way deal or not? Do you pay his salary?

A two-way contract is important because of the money that's paid to the player. It's important because of the waiver status of that player throughout the season. A player on a two-way contract only has to clear waivers once and then is free to being called up and being sent down freely as many times as you'd like throughout the season without having to expose him to waivers again and again where as players on one-way contracts would have to clear waivers and re-entry waivers each and every time.

Holland doesn't care about the few hundred k difference in salary he'd have to give Maltby but having to go through the waiver process each time he wants to bring him up or send him down and risk losing him kind of defeats the purpose of the signing.

On top of that a signing like this, where the player is all but guaranteed to start the year in the AHL, is almost always guaranteed to work because almost every single team starts the year off with an abundance of players on their roster. As each team trims their roster down and sends their own players down to the AHL no one really has the room to claim someone on a two-way deal you're sending down (Maltby) which means he's cleared waivers for the one and only time he needs to for the year. Now you can bring him up and send him down a thousand times if you want and no one can touch him.

A two-way contract is important because of the money that's paid to the player. It's important because of the waiver status of that player throughout the season. A player on a two-way contract only has to clear waivers once and then is free to being called up and being sent down freely as many times as you'd like throughout the season without having to expose him to waivers again and again where as players on one-way contracts would have to clear waivers and re-entry waivers each and every time.

Holland doesn't care about the few hundred k difference in salary he'd have to give Maltby but having to go through the waiver process each time he wants to bring him up or send him down and risk losing him kind of defeats the purpose of the signing.

On top of that a signing like this, where the player is all but guaranteed to start the year in the AHL, is almost always guaranteed to work because almost every single team starts the year off with an abundance of players on their roster. As each team trims their roster down and sends their own players down to the AHL no one really has the room to claim someone on a two-way deal you're sending down (Maltby) which means he's cleared waivers for the one and only time he needs to for the year. Now you can bring him up and send him down a thousand times if you want and no one can touch him.

Players on one-way contracts receive their NHL salary no matter what league they are playing in.

Players on two-way contracts receive their NHL salary when playing in the NHL and receive a smaller salary when playing in the AHL or another minor league.

This is the ONLY difference between the two. There is no effect on waiver status whatsoever.

Imagine if Tatar plays like a possessed little man in training camp, would he crack the roster? kenny always say "we will put the best team on the ice every night" but i don't think that's the truth, then draper, maltby etc would have been ditched 2 seasons ago...i almost feel sad for the young guns reading how they hope to crack their roster but even if they outplayed some players they would still keep them in the farm team, cause that's what ken holland do, they don't have to go through waivers so just let them get overdone in grand rapids instead, in most cases this is good, but some players just have elite talent that needs to get to the nhl earlier, has there even been a prospect with maximum 1 year in GR that has cracked the detroit line-up after 04-05 lockout? (not counting franzen as he was alot older) Hudler one year? Kronwall one year? hmm is that all? did filppula play 1 or 2 year in ahl?

Jiri Hudler played 12 games for the Wings in his first pro season in North America in 2003-04. He started the season at 19.

i'm with you on this. i don't like losing guys like quincey and leino who didn't get any ice time to tap out their real potential. leino was a big player in philly's cup run and in a way it hurt. draper and maltby were done a couple years ago as far as effectiveness goes. if malts signs, he better be a mentor in GR all year. ice time shouldn't be given to him over guys like ritola, miller or even meech if there's injuries. and if there is injuries, i'd rather see tatar if a fwd is needed and smith if a dman is needed to see how they handle "the show" when called up. maltby should work with the likes of andersson as it seems that he will eventually have the same type of role as a grinder with the wings in years to come. after this season there will be a few spots to be taken by the young guys as well. possible retirees are modano, lids, draper, ozzy, maltby. that's atleast a roster spot at F, D and goal. lets hope mccollum doesn't play s***ty this year and howard and the wings brass can be comfortable with the howard/mccollum tandem. forward spot after this season sounds like tatar may be the guy as long as he continues to improve and that other D spot has smith's name all over it. so if someone else wants one of those spots, they better impress like crazy.

all in all, maltby needs to stay in GR ALL year and help out the team that employed him way past when he was useful.