• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Kirk Maltby nearing 1 year, 2 way deal

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

As long as he plays every game in grand rapids i approve this, do NOT wanna see him in detroit though, if there are injuries there are several other players who should get the nod in favour of maltby.

As long as he plays every game in grand rapids i approve this, do NOT wanna see him in detroit though, if there are injuries there are several other players who should get the nod in favour of maltby.

Ya don't say. We never would have guessed you felt that way.

I would like him as a call up in certain situations- and certainly in the playoffs.

Guest mindfly

I know i've stated it several times but i would just feel sick to my stomach if this old man gets the call to play instead of a young promising prospect, you gotta think and prepare for the future, simple as that.

Edited by mindfly

I don't want Maltby to get the first emergency call up, that should rightfully go to the most promising PROSPECT, like tatar or someone.

Fair enough...

For sure (holmstrom style), I will get pissed off if i see maltby in the winged wheel this season, thanks for what you did in the late 90s and early 00's but please let's move on and bring in the kids as this team needs to get younger pretty soon.

Ok, we get it...

Jiminy Christmas...

I know i've stated it several times but i would just feel sick to my stomach if this old man gets the call to play instead of a young promising prospect, you gotta think and prepare for the future, simple as that.

Ok, seriously... For the love of donuts... We get it... Once was enough, but 4 times? Hello, broken record...

I for one, think Malts would be a good call up, given the right (er... WRONG, I suppose) circumstances. If a 4th liner goes down for an extended period of time, a call up like Tatar or Mursak isn't quite the right guy for the situation. You don't want to call a guy like Tatar up for a three week stint with team where he'll only get to play 6-7 minutes a night in fourth line duty. I'd rather he stay in GR and get first or second line minutes.

The call-up isn't going to automatically go to the most promising prospect. It's going to go to the guy who can be of the most benefit to the club who is calling him up. The player that you call up in case of injury needs to be of the same mold as the guy he's replacing, or at least get as close to it as possible. A Tatar-for-Abdelkader call up doesn't fit as well as a Maltby-for-Abdelkader call up does. Likewise, a Maltby-for-Any-1st-2nd-or-3rd-Liner doesn't work as well as a Tatar-for-Any-1st-2nd-or-3rd-Liner.

What happened to the new fun, caring, optimistic, Mindfly?

Malt's can still be effective killing penalties/blocking shots (aka special teams).

Reminds me, I will miss Lilja. :(

Edited by Rivalred

i agree with mindfly. i hope maltby sees 0 games this year.

there is nothing he brings to the table that other players in the system do. i don't even want to see him in the playoffs. its not as if this team lacks veterans or leadership. any minutes he plays takes away from younger players with futures in the organization. this is a bad signing all around.

they should have just had grand rapids sign him to an ahl only deal. they could have made the deal well over the ahl salary he will make now. the wings could have offered to pay the entire salary so that GR wouldn't have to take on that burden. then if things got armageddon bad, they could have signed him to an nhl deal.

Reading some of these responses makes me glad Kenny is the GM and not the members of this forum.

Malts in GR = a great mentor for our PROSPECTS

Malts on the Detroit bench during the playoffs = added depth, experienced leadership, and another PKer.

so to those of you complaining about the deal, please understand Kenny is better than you. That is all.

Guest mindfly

Reading some of these responses makes me glad Kenny is the GM and not the members of this forum.

Malts on the Detroit bench during the playoffs = added depth, experienced leadership, and another PKer.

so to those of you complaining about the deal, please understand Kenny is better than you. That is all.

Kenny isn't perfect, he makes mistakes/questionable descisions every season, remember that.

I would say this maltby signing is one mistake, but if they win the cup in june, I can't complain.

Edited by mindfly

couldnt agree more.

Maltby can be a great mentor to the kids in GR. He can show 'em a lot of tips and tricks, maybe some "get under the skin" tactics too. He was always one of the best pests in the NHL making guys that played against him come unhinged on the ice. It was awesome to see over these last 13-14 years.

As a member of the Grind Line (Maltby, Draper, Kocur) and Grind Line Mark II (Maltby, Draper, McCarty) he has played a significant role in this frnachises history and success. To hear anyone who claims to be a Wings fan diss him......that's just utter bulls*** and I'm ashamed to be reading it.

Maltby can be a great mentor to the kids in GR. He can show 'em a lot of tips and tricks, maybe some "get under the skin" tactics too. He was always one of the best pests in the NHL making guys that played against him come unhinged on the ice. It was awesome to see over these last 13-14 years.

As a member of the Grind Line (Maltby, Draper, Kocur) and Grind Line Mark II (Maltby, Draper, McCarty) he has played a significant role in this frnachises history and success. To hear anyone who claims to be a Wings fan diss him......that's just utter bulls*** and I'm ashamed to be reading it.

I couldnt believe how much he got under Crosbys skin the entire series in the 09 playoffs, I guess Sid is a sensitive little flower.

Guest mindfly

Respect the history and be grateful for what he did in the past, however it's 2010, and things needs to keep rollin'. Inject a few young guns every year and replace with the oldest players that doesn't bring anything to the team, if they gotta be so loyal they can offer them a job in the organization like they did with chelios and fischer, yzerman etc previously...

Seriously, People need to wake up.

Edited by mindfly

Respect the history and be grateful for what he did in the past, however it's 2010, and things needs to keep rollin'. Inject a few young guns every year and replace with the oldest players that doesn't bring anything to the team, if they gotta be so loyal they can offer them a job in the organization like they did with chelios and fischer, yzerman etc previously...

Dude, the Wings have kept a vet winger in GR for the last 5 years or so. This is nothing new.

It's only one player, so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus reading Holland's comments from a few days ago, Maltby will really only be in Detroit if there's an injury.

oh its the classic can't disagree with anything holland does defense! such a great counter point!

how dare anyone think that its time to let a player go that has not had more than 11 points in a season since the lockout and is a combined -34 since the lockout?!?!?! i respect what maltby did, but there comes a point where you need to say goodbye to players. there are other ways for an organization to be loyal and supportive of their long time players aside from giving them contracts several years after they hit their expiration dates.

maybe maltby can be a good mentor in grand rapids by teaching our prospects how to play dirty and then not stand up for themselves and hide behind linesmen??? thats a good skill for any young player!

and maltby in the playoffs? thats just scary! if he is on our bench, then we might as well be ready for a long summer because it will be due to about 10 significant injuries. leadership? how many hundreds of playoff games does our roster have without him? PK? how many forwards are ahead of him on the pk depth chart at this point?

regardless of opinion on this signing, even holland acknowledges that the odds of maltby playing in detroit are slim. why not just do the right thing and retire?

oh its the classic can't disagree with anything holland does defense! such a great counter point!

how dare anyone think that its time to let a player go that has not had more than 11 points in a season since the lockout and is a combined -34 since the lockout?!?!?! i respect what maltby did, but there comes a point where you need to say goodbye to players. there are other ways for an organization to be loyal and supportive of their long time players aside from giving them contracts several years after they hit their expiration dates.

maybe maltby can be a good mentor in grand rapids by teaching our prospects how to play dirty and then not stand up for themselves and hide behind linesmen??? thats a good skill for any young player!

and maltby in the playoffs? thats just scary! if he is on our bench, then we might as well be ready for a long summer because it will be due to about 10 significant injuries. leadership? how many hundreds of playoff games does our roster have without him? PK? how many forwards are ahead of him on the pk depth chart at this point?

regardless of opinion on this signing, even holland acknowledges that the odds of maltby playing in detroit are slim. why not just do the right thing and retire?

He's going to be in Grand Rapids or in the press box and not taking any time from our young studs. So what's the problem here? He's not going to count against our cap or anything negative besides Illitch paying this guy tens of grands to play in the AHL.

Nobody needs to wake up. As stated, and barring injuries or unless Maltby just summons the god of lightning, he's playing in Grand Rapids to start. You've said the same thing about 26 times in this thread. We get it.

Because the right thing to you might not be the right thing to him, and probably isn't here. Who are we to tell people when they should stop playing? I sure as hell would want to do something I love doing and making money for it as long as I could, even if the payoff gets lower/lower every year and my value or time doing it is getting slimmer.