• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Red Storm

Red Storm

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

Wow he's back again forever; that's just great.

#42 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

i was hoping to see him get an offer somewhere. I thought Stevie was ganna give him a cheap contract in Tampa for some depth and veteran leadership. I hate to see guys retire in the minors. He probably wont be getting alot of NHL playing time on this years wings team unless injury (and even then hes not the first call up im sure). Just wish he would go out atleast still being a pro player ya know?

San Jose wanted him, but I'm bet it wasn't enough for him to move his family there. I like that he's staying with the Wings, although being in GR isn't the best choice, he's still part of the team and this give some of the younger guys their chance to play.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#43 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqGO4XEsP8E

That Lidstrom dangle + slapshot combo was boss. I dont remember that one.

#44 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Then let him and Drapes ride off into the sunset together

This could very well be the intent.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#45 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

This could very well be the intent.

And I think those two deserve it.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#46 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

anyone read this on det news.com??

it was at the bottom of an article about kronwalls knee surgery.

Where's Maltby?
Holland said he met personally with the unsigned, veteran forward Kirk Maltby on Wednesday.

If Maltby wants to play with the Red Wings in 2010-11, Holland said, he would likely have to start in Grand Rapids.

"Malts has been here for a thousand games, he's been here since 1994," Holland said. "I thought it was important that Kirk and I talk face to face. We've had an ongoing dialogue, since early June. I still think he's got some hockey left in him. But, obviously, we've got some good players, here, who are younger.

"Things change, and so, I mean, that was the conversation," Holland said. "I'd like to sign him. In all probability, he's going to start out in Grand Rapids. But it's an 80-game season, and we saw the injuries we had, last year. And, you know, I think he has to decide what he wants to do."

Kris Draper , who also arrived in Detroit in 1994 and has mostly played on the same line with Maltby, said he's not certain of his old friend's circumstances.

"I haven't had a chance to talk to him, since the meeting," said Draper, who stood near Maltby's empty stall. "I'm not really sure what is going on. I just left him a voice mail and said the guys are wondering where you are and what's going on. You know, obviously, he is going to talk to his family and his agent, but if he needs a friend to talk to there's a lot of us here for him.

"This is different," said Draper, who could face the same circumstances after this season. "You know, everyone is aware of what's going on. But the bottom line is, just reaching out as a friend you know everyone in this room is going to go through it sooner or later."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...y#ixzz0yVgQZdgi

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#47 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

Actually Maltby has played 908 games with the Wings, and has been here since 95-96. So Kenny's wrong about that ;)

I wouldn't mind a 2-way deal with him starting in GR.

#48 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Actually Maltby has played 908 games with the Wings, and has been here since 95-96. So Kenny's wrong about that ;)

I wouldn't mind a 2-way deal with him starting in GR.

Yea I was going to point that out too, Maltby got here at the end of the 1995-96 season, just in time for all the fun! :yahoo:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#49 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

George Malik - MLive.com quoting the Macomb Daily

"I don't have the answers until we get to training camp and watch players play, but there's a real chance that Kirk Maltby could start out in Grand Rapids," Holland said. "When you're talking about someone who's played 1,000 games in the NHL, it's about a lifestyle, it's about how you want to finish your career, where you want to finish your career, how much money you want to make to finish your career. I think Kirk would be great depth," Holland added. "You come to camp, we have some injuries and maybe he can make the team. I don't know. He's healthy, he's ready to go. But we're deep up front."

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#50 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

George Malik - MLive.com quoting the Macomb Daily

yeah that sums it up. eventually age catches up and you have to accept that in that business. most people who get older in their jobs don't have the luxury of making hundreds of thousands of dollars AFTER a pay-cut. he isn't 40 yet, which is well below the retirement age, but hopefully he invested his money wisely and at the least can land a job with the wings (seems inevitable with anybody associated with the team who has an interest) in some department (scouting, player development, etc.) that would pay quite well.

he'll be fine. and we'll have someone on our 4th line who is in the mood to stir things up like he used to.
Posted Image

#51 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

http://www.detnews.c...s-close-to-deal

Seems, that the deal will be closed soon! :thumbup:

#52 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

As long as he plays every game in grand rapids i approve this, do NOT wanna see him in detroit though, if there are injuries there are several other players who should get the nod in favour of maltby.

#53 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

As long as he plays every game in grand rapids i approve this, do NOT wanna see him in detroit though, if there are injuries there are several other players who should get the nod in favour of maltby.

Ya don't say. We never would have guessed you felt that way.

I would like him as a call up in certain situations- and certainly in the playoffs.

#54 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

I know i've stated it several times but i would just feel sick to my stomach if this old man gets the call to play instead of a young promising prospect, you gotta think and prepare for the future, simple as that.

Edited by mindfly, 07 September 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#55 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

I don't want Maltby to get the first emergency call up, that should rightfully go to the most promising PROSPECT, like tatar or someone.

Fair enough...

For sure (holmstrom style), I will get pissed off if i see maltby in the winged wheel this season, thanks for what you did in the late 90s and early 00's but please let's move on and bring in the kids as this team needs to get younger pretty soon.

Ok, we get it...

Jiminy Christmas...

I know i've stated it several times but i would just feel sick to my stomach if this old man gets the call to play instead of a young promising prospect, you gotta think and prepare for the future, simple as that.

Ok, seriously... For the love of donuts... We get it... Once was enough, but 4 times? Hello, broken record...

I for one, think Malts would be a good call up, given the right (er... WRONG, I suppose) circumstances. If a 4th liner goes down for an extended period of time, a call up like Tatar or Mursak isn't quite the right guy for the situation. You don't want to call a guy like Tatar up for a three week stint with team where he'll only get to play 6-7 minutes a night in fourth line duty. I'd rather he stay in GR and get first or second line minutes.

The call-up isn't going to automatically go to the most promising prospect. It's going to go to the guy who can be of the most benefit to the club who is calling him up. The player that you call up in case of injury needs to be of the same mold as the guy he's replacing, or at least get as close to it as possible. A Tatar-for-Abdelkader call up doesn't fit as well as a Maltby-for-Abdelkader call up does. Likewise, a Maltby-for-Any-1st-2nd-or-3rd-Liner doesn't work as well as a Tatar-for-Any-1st-2nd-or-3rd-Liner.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#56 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:39 AM

What happened to the new fun, caring, optimistic, Mindfly?

Malt's can still be effective killing penalties/blocking shots (aka special teams).

Reminds me, I will miss Lilja. :(

Edited by Rivalred, 08 September 2010 - 09:40 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#57 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Maltby deal in Detroit pays him $525,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in minors

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#58 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

i agree with mindfly. i hope maltby sees 0 games this year.

there is nothing he brings to the table that other players in the system do. i don't even want to see him in the playoffs. its not as if this team lacks veterans or leadership. any minutes he plays takes away from younger players with futures in the organization. this is a bad signing all around.

they should have just had grand rapids sign him to an ahl only deal. they could have made the deal well over the ahl salary he will make now. the wings could have offered to pay the entire salary so that GR wouldn't have to take on that burden. then if things got armageddon bad, they could have signed him to an nhl deal.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#59 RedWingsFan13

RedWingsFan13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Reading some of these responses makes me glad Kenny is the GM and not the members of this forum.
Malts in GR = a great mentor for our PROSPECTS
Malts on the Detroit bench during the playoffs = added depth, experienced leadership, and another PKer.
so to those of you complaining about the deal, please understand Kenny is better than you. That is all.

#60 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

Reading some of these responses makes me glad Kenny is the GM and not the members of this forum.
Malts in GR = a great mentor for our PROSPECTS
Malts on the Detroit bench during the playoffs = added depth, experienced leadership, and another PKer.
so to those of you complaining about the deal, please understand Kenny is better than you. That is all.

Kenny isn't perfect, he makes mistakes/questionable descisions every season, remember that.

I would say this maltby signing is one mistake, but if they win the cup in june, I can't complain.

Edited by mindfly, 08 September 2010 - 01:41 PM.