• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

silly jersey retiring debate

Rate this topic

Over the past few weeks i have read countless articles suggesting the wings should retire a few numbers. To me having your number retired by a franchise such as the detroit red wings should be reserved for the best of the best. How do you know for sure if a number should be retired? When there is no debate about it, if u need to debate about whether the player should have their number retired, then they shouldnt, the feeling should be unanimous. not to say the players being suggested arnt great players, but they arnt to be put in the same catagory as howe, yzerman, and the rest of the retired numbers. to me there is only one person at this point in time that deserves to have their number retired, Lidstrom. And he will have his number retired without a doubt, and no one is going to argue about whether he should have his number retired or not because everyone know he should and he is one of the all time red wing greats.

IF THERE IS ANY DEBATE THEIR NUMBER SHOULDNT BE RETIRED THEN IT SHOULDNT, otherwise it makes it less special.

PS if ur thinking about debating whether lidstrom should have his number retired....... just shut the f*** up

Edited by wings1110

Larry Aurie was 'un-retired' because he is not in the Hall of Fame - a good comparison for him would be a high-scoring Kris Draper. He once led the league in goals and also once led the league in playoff points. Great leader with a lot of intangibles and equally valuable with or without the puck.

Red Kelly is a Hall of Famer and a vital cog in 4 Cups. If the Norris was around in his time, he would have 5 of them. His Hart record is better than any Red Wing not named Gordie Howe. The only 'debate' is that he went on to have some good years w/ Toronto (as a forward) after being traded from Detroit.

The "debate" keeping these two from going up is flimsy, in my opinion.

those 2 are more deserving than alot of the names being thrown around. but the fact of the matter is 3/4 fans dont even know who they are. imo we should just leave numbers from that long ago alone. why would we ritire them now if they werent retired in all the years since their careers ended.

those 2 are more deserving than alot of the names being thrown around. but the fact of the matter is 3/4 fans dont even know who they are. imo we should just leave numbers from that long ago alone. why would we ritire them now if they werent retired in all the years since their careers ended.

Lindsay and Delvecchio weren't retired until 91, Sawchuk was 94, and Abel was 95.

Kelly should have been included in that bunch. He was as good or better than any of them, and just as much a part of that dynasty.

The Aurie thing is just a black mark on Ilitch. Regardless of how deserving Aurie is, a former owner decided to honor him, and Ilitch should honor that.

Because the Red Wings have a long and extraordinary history which should be recognized and celebrated?

Over the past few weeks i have read countless articles suggesting the wings should retire a few numbers. To me having your number retired by a franchise such as the detroit red wings should be reserved for the best of the best. How do you know for sure if a number should be retired? When there is no debate about it, if u need to debate about whether the player should have their number retired, then they shouldnt, the feeling should be unanimous. not to say the players being suggested arnt great players, but they arnt to be put in the same catagory as howe, yzerman, and the rest of the retired numbers. to me there is only one person at this point in time that deserves to have their number retired, Lidstrom. And he will have his number retired without a doubt, and no one is going to argue about whether he should have his number retired or not because everyone know he should and he is one of the all time red wing greats.

IF THERE IS ANY DEBATE THEIR NUMBER SHOULDNT BE RETIRED THEN IT SHOULDNT, otherwise it makes it less special.

PS if ur thinking about debating whether lidstrom should have his number retired....... just shut the f*** up

Except this is the internet, and people will debate EVERYTHING. Hence, noone will ever go up in the rafters again if we follow that guideline.

You make a solid point... Until you look at Sid Abels number hanging, he doesn't belong with the rest of the group. Great player, great man but a step below in talent.

He is very comparable to Delvecchio, with a Hart on his resume as well.

You make a solid point... Until you look at Sid Abels number hanging, he doesn't belong with the rest of the group. Great player, great man but a step below in talent.

If you're looking at numbers, comparing Abel to other players with retired numbers is like comparing apples to oranges. Abel played in an earlier time, before big time scorers. He's famous for centering the production line, but he was an old vet centering youngsters like Lindsay and Howe. For his day and age, he was a top player.

Larry Aurie was 'un-retired' because he is not in the Hall of Fame - a good comparison for him would be a high-scoring Kris Draper. He once led the league in goals and also once led the league in playoff points. Great leader with a lot of intangibles and equally valuable with or without the puck.

Red Kelly is a Hall of Famer and a vital cog in 4 Cups. If the Norris was around in his time, he would have 5 of them. His Hart record is better than any Red Wing not named Gordie Howe. The only 'debate' is that he went on to have some good years w/ Toronto (as a forward) after being traded from Detroit.

The "debate" keeping these two from going up is flimsy, in my opinion.

How do you know that's why Aurie was un-retired?

I thought it was a mystery of sorts.

How do you know that's why Aurie was un-retired?

I thought it was a mystery of sorts.

Devellano stated so in an interview... But who knows, Ilitch has never said a word about it and the family has never been given a reason, nor really be acknowledged.

It is strange.

Considering Ozzie is the franchise leader in playoff wins and second in regular season wins, he should be up there. Kelly should be up there too.

I really don't know enough about Aurie to have a true opinion one way or the other, but looking at his career numbers, he was a similar player to Abel.