• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official Detroit Lions thread

Rate this topic

A pretty dominating half but only up 7. We settle for field goals twice inside the 10 and pick return for a td is a 15 point swing.

Still, we're wearing down the Bucs and moving the ball like mad. Keep it up in the second half!

And how about a "Let's Go Lions!" chant at a road game? Nice!

I didn't get to see it, only hear the last part of it. How did they look? The announcers were saying they were "dominating". Did anyone get to see it that would comment on this? Thanks.

That last play sounded exciting. I can usually picture audio in my head, but not that one.

I didn't get to see it, only hear the last part of it. How did they look? The announcers were saying they were "dominating". Did anyone get to see it that would comment on this? Thanks.

That last play sounded exciting. I can usually picture audio in my head, but not that one.

To be sure we dominated most of the game and probably should've been up 30 points. We went into prevent defense the last few series which allowed them to move the ball. Cherilus is a monumental idiot. Gave Tampa 30 extra seconds on the clock because of a stupid personal foul.

But on the whole we looked very good. Only gave up one defensive touchdown. Moved the ball at will on offense.

Just need to finish inside the ten yard line and eliminate stupid penalties.

Hahaha!

Not laughing at your prediction that the Lions could go 10-6 or 11-5....the fact that you don't think the Packers will win 12,13 or even 14 games and claim the North.

Your days are numbered, Packers!

I fully expect that the Packers will win the division. If we stay healthy though, I can see keeping the division close. I don't really buy Chicago, but then again, I'm a Lions fan so I don't really trust that this won't completely collapse.

Your days are numbered, Packers!

I fully expect that the Packers will win the division. If we stay healthy though, I can see keeping the division close. I don't really buy Chicago, but then again, I'm a Lions fan so I don't really trust that this won't completely collapse.

This is probably the worst time for the Lions to be on the upward trend. The Packers are still the 2nd youngest team in the NFL and they'll be nowhere but the top of the standings for the next 5 years. I'm not saying the Lions won't be good, I truly believe they've turned the corner....but Green Bay passed that same corner just 2 seasons ago.

This is probably the worst time for the Lions to be on the upward trend. The Packers are still the 2nd youngest team in the NFL and they'll be nowhere but the top of the standings for the next 5 years. I'm not saying the Lions won't be good, I truly believe they've turned the corner....but Green Bay passed that same corner just 2 seasons ago.

I don't see it being any different than the other tough divisions if the Lions truly turned the corner. The North is going to be a tough division to win in the future between the Pack, Bears and Lions, more-so for the Bears since they're getting older on defense and Briggs wants to leave. Could turn into the NFC East of the last decade.

But yes, right now the Packers have the better young and talented defense and offense overall, but the Lions are very close. The one thing that could put the Lions over the edge is if they upgrade their line. Backus is getting old, Riola is terrible and an ******* to boot, and I can't express more how much I despise Peterman and Cherilus.

I will say though, I think the Lions have the better front 7 than the Pack (and the better GM :P). They can rotate the front 4 all game with no worries of getting pressure (even without Fairley), and what a difference Tulloch and Durant have been. Last season, Blount ran all over the Lions. Yesterday, they stuffed him and Graham all game. It was truly a lopsided game until the second half when they played conservative, and that's something I haven't seen in my lifetime for this team.

I can't wait until next week when they play in a dome instead of 100 degree weather.

I don't see it being any different than the other tough divisions if the Lions truly turned the corner. The North is going to be a tough division to win in the future between the Pack, Bears and Lions, more-so for the Bears since they're getting older on defense and Briggs wants to leave. Could turn into the NFC East of the last decade.

But yes, right now the Packers have the better young and talented defense and offense overall, but the Lions are very close. The one thing that could put the Lions over the edge is if they upgrade their line. Backus is getting old, Riola is terrible and an ******* to boot, and I can't express more how much I despise Peterman and Cherilus.

I will say though, I think the Lions have the better front 7 than the Pack (and the better GM :P). They can rotate the front 4 all game with no worries of getting pressure (even without Fairley), and what a difference Tulloch and Durant have been. Last season, Blount ran all over the Lions. Yesterday, they stuffed him and Graham all game. It was truly a lopsided game until the second half when they played conservative, and that's something I haven't seen in my lifetime for this team.

I can't wait until next week when they play in a dome instead of 100 degree weather.

I wouldn't say the Lions are close to the Packers but as I said earlier, they're where the Packers were 2 years ago. The Lions have definitely rounded the corner, but until they learn how to win on a consistent basis, its pretty hard to consider them all-out contenders.

As for the better GM, no one ripped Ted Thompson more than I did when he came to GB. Now, no one feels more sheepish than all Packers fans regarding him. To say the Lions have a better GM is ridiculous at this point. The fact of the matter is, TT lost 17 guys to IR last year and still won the Super Bowl. If that doesn't scream having one of the best GM's who knows how to load his team up with depth, nothing does.

Bottom line, we'll have to see how it all plays out over the course of the next 5 years. I agree that the Bears are definitely looking like the team most on a downswing of the three, but right now its the Packers division to lose. Given how young the Packers are it doesn't look like its going to change anytime time soon.

Tsk tsk, such hubris! This is how a great team approaches dissolution. The bigger they are the harder they fall! Etc, etc.

There's no hubris here. Do you truly believe I'm not speaking the likely facts? Do you honestly believe the Packers won't win 12+ games this season? If you do, I don't think you've paid enough attention to the roster the Packers had last season, nor the fact that they were able to hang onto all the guys that were important. Mix that in with the playmakers they added via the draft as well as still being the second youngest team in the NFL.

Given that and their schedule, why shouldn't anyone predict 12+ wins for this team?

I was mostly kidding. However, I have watched enough football (and sport in general) in my day to know that obvious expectations and predictions are often incongruent with reality.

And by that I mean that the Pack are clearly going 1-15. ;)

:thumbup:

Haha! Nicely played!

Thompson has done a great job but it's apples and oranges at this point. Mayhew was given an 0-16 team with Calvin and Backus as the only legitimate starters. In 3 years under Mayhew, in Pioli-like fashion, he's done great into turning garbage into mid-late picks and providing solid depth on the roster (finally) as well as making some key FA signings. I shutter at the players that Millen thought was good enough to compete at a high level but in reality would be 2nd-3rd backups.

I'm now at the point where I expect this team to win. They proved to me last season that they had the talent to keep it close but was without experience to get over the hump. This season I think they get over the hump, but are still 1-3 years away from being contenders considering they still have a bad line and the LeShoure injury could take him 2 years to be 100% or it could affect his play for the rest of his career (I'm hoping for the former obviously). The secondary looks solid, but is nowhere near what GB has.

So all in all, there's still areas of improvement, but I don't think they're that far off from contending the division like you think they are. After all, we lost a heartbreaker in Lambeau last season and got revenge the second time. Oh, and no injury excuses, our 3rd string QB beat you! :P

Thompson has done a great job but it's apples and oranges at this point. Mayhew was given an 0-16 team with Calvin and Backus as the only legitimate starters. In 3 years under Mayhew, in Pioli-like fashion, he's done great into turning garbage into mid-late picks and providing solid depth on the roster (finally) as well as making some key FA signings. I shutter at the players that Millen thought was good enough to compete at a high level but in reality would be 2nd-3rd backups.

I'm now at the point where I expect this team to win. They proved to me last season that they had the talent to keep it close but was without experience to get over the hump. This season I think they get over the hump, but are still 1-3 years away from being contenders considering they still have a bad line and the LeShoure injury could take him 2 years to be 100% or it could affect his play for the rest of his career (I'm hoping for the former obviously). The secondary looks solid, but is nowhere near what GB has.

So all in all, there's still areas of improvement, but I don't think they're that far off from contending the division like you think they are. After all, we lost a heartbreaker in Lambeau last season and got revenge the second time. Oh, and no injury excuses, our 3rd string QB beat you! :P

Pretty much what you said.

I know I should be reserved because what have the Lions ever given me? There were good times in short bursts in my younger years with Barry Sanders and some great REGULAR season moments, only to get completely embarassed in the playoffs (we were once down nearly 50 at halftime....that's not a joke).

But it's been so long since I've felt any legitimate hope for this team that watching them come together in the last 4 games last season, continue it through preseason, and then kick Tampa's ass in a game that we left a lot on the table...I can't help it. If nothing else, I'm gonna have a lot of fun this year.

It reminds of the 06 Tigers in that it was the first time in my conscious life that I saw them do anything. It's slightly mind-blowing to me.

We still haven't done anything, and I have pretty low NFL standards, but I can see it happening in front of me. They are improved in every way except for the O-line and there are a lot of improvements yet to come. Finally, I feel like I'll be rewarded for sitting through s***ty internet feeds every weekend.

Who's making excuses for that game? I'm certainly not. As for your third string QB "beating" us, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Detroit put up 7 points all game. GB's defense was its typical great self in that game, but the offense completely s*** the bed. I haven't seen Rodgers look that off since the beginning of his career.

The team last year had all the tools to win the Super Bowl and even after their ridiculous string of injuries (which were far more than the Lions could've dreamed of their team coming down with), they still won it all. Now the team is healthy and given their experience, I expect better performances every single week from this team than I did even last season before they got hurt. I do expect the Lions to challenge the Packers both games this season (especially Thanksgiving Day), but I also fully expect the Packers to take both games.

That being said, I'm most certainly not saying the Lions are "so far off", what I'm saying is that its a brutal time for them to be making the transition given the team the Packers have and how young they are. You yourself said the Lions are 1-3 years away from being contenders, which I agree with. Where the Lions may start to pressure the Packers for the division will be the tail end of that or 4 years from now.

2010-11 Packers = 2008-9 Penguins. Annoying fans, every "football expert" slobbering the team's leader's knob, can't go a game without referring to how Rodgers/Crosby did something, etc.

And the Bears are on the biggest downswing? That would be more in the direction of the Deflat-A-Dome and Donovan McScabb.

30-12. And we play against New Orleans, where Brees is 0-3 vs the Bears, including that pantsing in the NFC Championship game in 2006.

2010-11 Packers = 2008-9 Penguins. Annoying fans, every "football expert" slobbering the team's leader's knob, can't go a game without referring to how Rodgers/Crosby did something, etc.

I stopped/s] should've stopped reading here. Bears fan calling Packer fans annoying...oh, the irony!

Get a clue, your post couldn't be further from the truth. But I get it, you're a Bears fan...which makes perfect sense!

Sidenote: Why shouldn't Rodgers get praised. He's one of (if not the) best QB's in the game. You don't have a problem when Dats and Z get pimped.

And the Bears are on the biggest downswing? That would be more in the direction of the Deflat-A-Dome and Donovan McScabb.

30-12. And we play against New Orleans, where Brees is 0-3 vs the Bears, including that pantsing in the NFC Championship game in 2006.

If you had read more carefully, you would've noticed we said the Bears are the team on the biggest downswing of the *three* (Packers, Lions, Bears).

No one was even talking about the Vikings.....nor should they.

Your reply is subjective due to homer glasses.

and besides, Dats and Z never get pimped much because they're on a Detroit "team" that is aging, tired, old, etc.

and besides, Dats and Z never get pimped much because they're on a Detroit "team" that is aging, tired, old, etc.

Haha!

Mine had substance and supporting evidence to back it. All your comment was was a childish rant including editing/changing a player's last name like an 8-year old would do.

Again, you're missing the point.

Sidenote: Calling my response subjective due to being a fan of the Packers is ridiculous. If you look at the division, I would say Packers fans get along with Lions fans far more than the other two teams in the division. Likely the same goes for the Bears and Vikings. The point is, I'd like to think you'll have a tough time finding Lions fans who think the same way you Bears fans (or Viking fans for that matter) do about the Packers fan base.

I was at the game. the place was electric, the defense looked like it can play, and stafford and co were awesome. If people say we were running up the score, so what? You are an NFL team... stop us. After going 0-16, I don't feel sorry for anyone. No mercy this year. Win, win big, and don't look back.