• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official Detroit Lions thread

Rate this topic

I don't know what's happened to this offense. Suddenly, Stafford looks gun-shy which is probably partially due to o-line not giving him a whole lot of time the last two weeks. The loss of Best of course affects that, but it was the same thing last week when we had him.

I'm hoping I can chalk these losses up to just two bad games and not symptoms of an impending collapse.

There was some speculation after last weeks game that perhaps Stafford did something to his shoulder and that explains why he was playing so conservative and not throwing downfield the last two drives of the game to try to win against the 9ers.

Not sure I buy it, I think it has more to do with the way we play offense and defenses know how to defend now. The Lions right now look like a big play team, and when you take that away there's been lots of 3rd and longs that we have trouble converting. I think yesterday they went something like 1 for 10 on 3rd down conversions. Lack of a power run game also hurts us. Ronnie Brown would've helped lots IMO but for the sake of Harrison's health I'm glad that trade didn't go through.

Not to mention, Stafford isn't the most accurate of passers.

The Lions on tv in Columbus for the fourth week in a row and it was a blowout win.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2007 did we not beat the Broncos something like 44-3 to go to 6-2? And then we lost all but one game. That Broncos game may have been a week or two before that, but anyways, the point is we have to make sure this story has a different ending than that of the 2007 Lions. And I'm pretty sure it will.

I'm just ready to take down the Packers :boxing:

We'll be ready! :boxing:

GO PACK GO! GO PACK GO!

The Lions on tv in Columbus for the fourth week in a row and it was a blowout win.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2007 did we not beat the Broncos something like 44-3 to go to 6-2? And then we lost all but one game. That Broncos game may have been a week or two before that, but anyways, the point is we have to make sure this story has a different ending than that of the 2007 Lions. And I'm pretty sure it will.

This is a very different team then the '07 Lions. I can't imagine this season won't end with the playoffs for Detroit.

Not a good week for the band Nickelback:

1st they were named the #1 artist that will destroy your chance at dating: http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/music/photos/top-10-musical-turnoffs-artists-you-shouldnt-admit-to-liking-on-a-date?cp-documentid=31241520&page=10

2nd, 43,000 Lions fans have signed a petition for them not to play the Thanksgiving Half Time show:http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2011/11/08/Detroit-Lions-fans-dont-want-Nickelback/UPI-56641320779389/

Joke's on us though, Nickelback is laughing all the way to the bank!

In a vote amongst NFL players Suh was named the league's most dirty player. That being said, you don't get recognized as such in the NFL unless you're a force and Suh most certainly is. Any team would love to have that guy, including us Packer fans.

Suh was given 36 votes, with Jerome Harrison of Pittsburgh coming in 2nd with a mere 9.

Wow. That's pretty lopsided. I have to admit that Suh does cross the line. He had a meeting last week to clear up what he can and can't do. Hopefully it helps him. We (Lions fans) want him to play tough, but we don't want him taking penalties.

Kind of like Kronwallian hits. We want them clean, but we want them hard and tough.

^ There's no doubt he's a rough player, but every player needs to be. Even though Suh does cross the line from time to time, his reputation seems to stir things up that aren't there. The whole whining from Atlanta players regarding Suh talking trash I found to be ridiculous. It was such a "Wah, Wah" crying routine. Had Ryan's injury been more severe, I can't imagine Suh would've said anything. Other than that, players talk s*** all the time and its to get into their opponents heads. Nothing wrong with that.

That being said, where he crosses the line is the type of stuff he obviously needs to get a better hold on.

Agreed. No matter the sport, there will be trash talk. (At least real-he-man sports where men are playing.) Good, tough play is great and needed. It's a fine line between rough and illegal.

I suppose the dirty stuff comes almost naturally (never played football myself, although my dad was a coach). Rules are reactionary. They don't sit in a committee and think of things that people might do; they watch and see what people do that may be dangerous or unfair, and then they make the rule.

You hope that no one intends to injure someone else, but it does happen. The best we can hope for is that the injuries aren't the severe or permanent kind.

Suh is old school. He plays hard and doesn't really care if he hurts. That's why I love him. The unfortunate thing is in today's NFL if you look at a quarterback sideways it's 15 yards, a first down, and $20,000. I'm not saying he's innocent of the occasional dirty play. There are certainly times where he goes above and beyond, and I hate those because it hurts the team. But I can't blame him if he sacks the quarterback by pushing him down a little too hard and gets a flag.

An example of the last one was that in the 4th quarter of the Broncos, a linebacker (I think it was Bulloch) had Tebow wrapped and progress stopped. He didn't throw him to the ground, so Tebow threw the pass away to a receiver. Now Tulloch didn't want to throw him down or land on him for fear of a penalty as the new rules have seemingly implied, but the refs didn't blow the whistle and allowed Tebow to stand there wrapped up for seconds and then throw a pass.

I really don't care about that "Suh is dirty" stuff. He hasn't been suspended yet so anything he's done, real or imagined, hasn't hurt the Lions, and that's what matters. All that I require of Suh is that he be kickin' rad and/or wicked awesome, and he has maintained that high standard on every down he plays.

I am not emotionally equipped to handle these losses. It was much easier when a loss didn't matter because they were going to lose all their games anyways. Now it's actually important and each L is like an icepick directly into my heart. How do fans of real football teams handle this kind of pressure year after year?

I am not emotionally equipped to handle these losses. It was much easier when a loss didn't matter because they were going to lose all their games anyways. Now it's actually important and each L is like an icepick directly into my heart. How do fans of real football teams handle this kind of pressure year after year?

Easy. When you were born after 1985, and have several painful memories of Erik Kramer and the QB Rotato, Wannstedt, Jauron, the Dinkpass offense, several running plays right into the nearest opposing lineman for a loss, and near-to-every offensive series resulting in picks or punts. Oh, and the stupid Buttpackers, and their fanbase which is twice as annoying as any Blackhawks fan.

Then the set up for Good Rex/Bad Rex, where he would lead the league in TD and yards, then throw 4 INTs and fumble twice. Get to the Superbowl and not win, couple that with the questionable personnel moves by Jerry Angelo over the last number of years, the up and down of the team, etc, etc. And most recently, the Offensive line jacking around while Cutler runs for his life and can't complete plays, while Martz keeps calling plays like a 14 year old playing Madden.

But given today's game, I wonder if the questions begin for Good Matt/Bad Matt. After all:

Both got injured in their first 2 years in the league, had to sit out.

Both can throw 90 miles away

AND both were looked at, at the time, as the saviors of their team, QB-wise.

Easy. When you were born after 1985, and have several painful memories of Erik Kramer and the QB Rotato, Wannstedt, Jauron, the Dinkpass offense, several running plays right into the nearest opposing lineman for a loss, and near-to-every offensive series resulting in picks or punts. Oh, and the stupid Buttpackers, and their fanbase which is twice as annoying as any Blackhawks fan.

Then the set up for Good Rex/Bad Rex, where he would lead the league in TD and yards, then throw 4 INTs and fumble twice. Get to the Superbowl and not win, couple that with the questionable personnel moves by Jerry Angelo over the last number of years, the up and down of the team, etc, etc. And most recently, the Offensive line jacking around while Cutler runs for his life and can't complete plays, while Martz keeps calling plays like a 14 year old playing Madden.

But given today's game, I wonder if the questions begin for Good Matt/Bad Matt. After all:

Both got injured in their first 2 years in the league, had to sit out.

Both can throw 90 miles away

AND both were looked at, at the time, as the saviors of their team, QB-wise.

Wah, wah, wah....8-0.

I wonder if they can get Chris Osgood to give Stafford a call and talk about how to put a bad game behind you. Oz drove us nuts with his unflappable interviews after games, but he really did know how to not panic.

It's one game, and it was a doozy. Hopefully they can regroup their poop and move on.

Came up to learn today that Stafford played with a broken finger.

Is Shaun Hill really THAT much of a drop-off that Stafford with a broken finger is still better?

Plus. 63 Pass attempts. Not counting the sacks. The Lions very, VERY Badly need a running game. Otherwise all the league has to do is run Nickel, 3 deep, or what the Jets have in a 4-7 pass defense, and neither Stafford or Johnson or Burleson or Pettigrew are gonna outwork it

Came up to learn today that Stafford played with a broken finger.

Is Shaun Hill really THAT much of a drop-off that Stafford with a broken finger is still better?

Plus. 63 Pass attempts. Not counting the sacks. The Lions very, VERY Badly need a running game. Otherwise all the league has to do is run Nickel, 3 deep, or what the Jets have in a 4-7 pass defense, and neither Stafford or Johnson or Burleson or Pettigrew are gonna outwork it

It doesn't look like Best will be back soon. Most reports have him sitting for the next 2 games with the a hopeful limited return in 3 weeks.

It doesn't look like Best will be back soon. Most reports have him sitting for the next 2 games with the a hopeful limited return in 3 weeks.

Even with Best, the Lions weren't generating much. The only good game was the monday night debacle at Ford in which the bears didn't play like the bears and Martz called plays like a kid playing madden.

I really hope that the Bears lock up Forte. Because if the Lions even got a sniff at signing him and Forte ended up in blue and silver, the city of Detroit and Ford Field might come unhinged and start bouncing up and down like a washing machine.

If the Bears fail to lock up Forte, i'm going to treat it like the Hawks ownership situation from years ago. Things will not improve until the ownership dies. The only exception is if you told me the Delorean showed up on Wacker Dr with 1978 Walter Payton in it ready to play. Then the city of Chicago and Soldier Field would come unhinged and bounce around.

Even with Best, the Lions weren't generating much. The only good game was the monday night debacle at Ford in which the bears didn't play like the bears and Martz called plays like a kid playing madden.

I really hope that the Bears lock up Forte. Because if the Lions even got a sniff at signing him and Forte ended up in blue and silver, the city of Detroit and Ford Field might come unhinged and start bouncing up and down like a washing machine.

If the Bears fail to lock up Forte, i'm going to treat it like the Hawks ownership situation from years ago. Things will not improve until the ownership dies. The only exception is if you told me the Delorean showed up on Wacker Dr with 1978 Walter Payton in it ready to play. Then the city of Chicago and Soldier Field would come unhinged and bounce around.

What's the Bears' cap situation like next season? You seem quite concerned about CHI locking him up...have there been problems with negotiations regarding him in the past?

The Lions lack of a running game goes back to Leshoure going out for the season in camp. He's a 235 lb back who was supposed to get us the tough yards this season. Best isn't a between the tackles runner and I'm a little disappointed they didn't go out and get someone who could fill in and get a few tough yards.

Hopefully this is remedied either through Leshoure's return next season or the draft.