• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official Detroit Lions thread

Rate this topic

Jeff Backus retires...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130314/SPORTS01/130314078/detroit-lions-jeff-backus

I'm shocked and sad to see him go. I've defended him for years even through his days blocking for Harrington. He wasn't a great LT but he was very good IMO and more importantly, very consistent, starting in every game except one (in his rookie year). He was a hard working, true blue collar player. Probably the only successful Millen pick next to Calvin Johnson and Gosder Cherilus that I can think of.

This leaves even more holes on the line,even more so if Raiola decides to hang them up, since I believe he's mentioned before that he'd retire when Backus does. So that leaves LT, RG, RT, and possibly C open. I'm not too sure how management feels about Reiff at this point since he never started and was mostly moved around as a TE and FB in most situations. I'm not too fond of that seeing how he was a 1st round pick. Fox was a project that I don't recall ever seeing the field since he was hurt most of the time (somehow).

At this point I'm hoping the Lions are able to draft one of Joeckel or Fisher as the permanent LT replacement. If management does in fact feel that Reiff can start at LT, then I'm hoping for a trade down, or just simply take Warmack at #5, despite that being the unpopular move.

If Mayhew can't find any stop gap plugs during FA, then this draft may be focused more on the offensive line, instead of defense, despite the regimes BPA approach.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Lions stand to lose a lot of OL

Packers are floating along now without Jennings and several other pieces

Minnesota is blowing $ left and right

Bears are standing pat with new HC, still don't have Urlacher back.

Jason Hanson retires. I was a big fan of Murray, so it took me a long time to warm up to this kid, but I sure did.

I just wish that he'd have told the team that he wanted one more year, and that they'd have all pulled together to "win it for Jason" and maybe gotten to the second round of the playoffs before being ousted. You know, just to give him a big send-off.

Here's a link to an article:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130404/SPORTS01/130404049/-Lions-Jason-Hanson-retires-after-21-years-It-s-time-

Best wishes to him and his family in the future, where ever it may take them, and thanks for giving us some thread of hope to cling to all these years.

I know it's only preseason, but I was glad to finally watch some football. I can't really make a judgement on how they'll do since they've had a lot of roster turnover, but those new bodies on the field should be upgrades and they should win more games and possibly make the playoffs (upgraded O-line, Bush replacing Best, upgraded defense) but it will all depend on how Stafford plays this season.

I can't believe it's pre-season already. I try not to pay attention until the season starts. The Lions have a tendency to break my heart if I put too much stock in the games that don't count.

Hopefully Bush will bring an added dimension that we've been lacking without the three-ring distraction that was Titus.

Still can't believe Hanson won't be with us. That is mind-boggling. I can only imagine that it must be harder for the younguns who have never known another foot.

I can't believe it's pre-season already. I try not to pay attention until the season starts. The Lions have a tendency to break my heart if I put too much stock in the games that don't count.

Hopefully Bush will bring an added dimension that we've been lacking without the three-ring distraction that was Titus.

Still can't believe Hanson won't be with us. That is mind-boggling. I can only imagine that it must be harder for the younguns who have never known another foot.

It will be weird.

Imagine if all touchdowns counted.

I'm not disagreeing with the officials' calls, but that "process of the catch" is the stupidest thing ever to come to any sport. Dumber than the trapezoid.

I'm guessing you're talking about the CJ TD that was called back? I just don't understand some of these rules: What's the difference between Calvin breaking the plane with the ball and losing it, and Joique Bell leaping over a pile of bodies, stretching out the ball to break the plane, and getting it punched out of his grip but still being called a touchdown?

Bell broke the plane and it was called a touchdown, but if he didn't break the plane it would've been a forced fumble. Calvin stretched out and broke the plane, but it wasn't called a touchdown. He lost the ball from it hitting the ground, but it wasn't called a fumble (at least I don't think it was, I didn't watch the play live, just saw the replays) since he caught, ran a couple steps and made a football move to dive and stretch the ball out. Don't these two plays contradict?

Another thing, Reggie Bush scored quite a few touchdowns when he played for the Saints that should've been called back due to the Calvin rule, but weren't. Jumping around the pylons at the ends of the endzone, breaking the plane with the ball, and losing the ball but still being called a touchdown. Heck, I think he scored like that the same week that Calvin first got that awful call against the Bears (if not I know it was in the same season).

/rant.

That's the one that got me started this time, but I've had this rant going pretty much since they got that rule.

You have the ball, you cross the line, you get a touchdown. Why mess with that?

Agreed. It seems the refs of the Giants/Cowboys game later that day also agree, as this catch by Cruz was called TD on the spot, with no review:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000240906/Cruz-18-yard-TD-catch

Almost no difference between the plays.

Lions on the computer. Flipping between the Vikes and the Pack on the tv (muted). It was a beautiful day until the Bears played.

Not making any playoff signs yet, but at least we're off to a better start than usual (except for years where we tank at the end, of course).

Good win, and showing they can close out a game against a good team with an unfortunate start. Or maybe I'm wrong and Washington is bad this season and the Lions struggled to beat a bad team. Whatever, I'm going to remain optimistic, but it's clear Linehan is the weak point of the team since the offense struggles without a scat back that can make plays when everything is predictable to the opposing defense, like running a lot of empty backfield sets. :rolleyes:

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Don't like the fact that Peanut has been slowed this year with his knee and Peppers has barely done anything noteworthy (aside from ripping the football away from Roflsberger and scoring a TD)

A fight against Cincinnati

A close one against Minnesota that really, REALLY, shouldn't have been.

A game against Pitt that we shouldn't have let off the gas for until it was 45-3 but drove away in the end.

Hopefully we'll drive off on the Lions @ Ford. GO BEARS.