• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#421 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

The Detroit Lions.  Finding new and interesting ways to break their fans' hearts since 1958.

#422 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

The guy on the Fox pre-game show speculated that Jim Schwarz may be gone after this season.  My pastor's wife agrees.

She says that he's undisciplined and that it reflects in the team.  Given all of the stupid penalties, especially in the neutral zone, that the Lions take, I agree.

I'm usually the last one to think that a new coach would change things, but in this case, I think she has a point.

Any thoughts and/or speculation?

#423 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

I thought the team was disciplined this season compared to the past (from the standpoint of not being penalized on the field as much and not getting in trouble off the field). That's the one improvement I'll give. With that said, I'll be very surprised if Schwartz and Co. are retained. If I had it my way I'd fire Linehan but after 5 seasons + how this team choked away the division, maybe it's best just to clean house. As long as Linehan's gone.

When you think about it, this team is a coaches dream. They have: A franchise QB, best receiver in the league, lines built on both sides very well, lots of other talent. This team is definitely better than 7-9, so hopefully the front office chooses the next coach wisely to get the most out of this team.

#424 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

That's the frustrating part.  They have the pieces.  It's not like back when we were praying that Hipple could complete a pass to Chadwick before the pocket collapsed 0.343 seconds after the snap.

The neutral zone infractions are a bit better, but they're still driving me nuts.

#425 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

It's official:  We're getting a new coach.

http://www.nfl.com/n...er-five-seasons

#426 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Black Monday. I will say we should thank Schwartz for at least changing the culture somewhat and making the team at least competitive. I'm just surprised their record wasn't better now considering how fast he and Mayhew made the team competitive.

#427 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

He did do a lot with the team.  He took them out of the cellar and into the main floor.  Now we need someone who can get them to the penthouse. 

#428 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Black Monday. I will say we should thank Schwartz for at least changing the culture somewhat and making the team at least competitive. I'm just surprised their record wasn't better now considering how fast he and Mayhew made the team competitive.

If he simply could've gotten them to stop taking so many idiotic penalties they likely would've picked up another win or two.

From ESPN:

In their past two seasons, when their talented roster should have been blossoming, they produced an NFL-high 67 turnovers along with the league's 11th-most penalties (210).

Over the past five years, the Lions allowed their opponents more first downs via penalty (160) than all but one team. Their total of 565 penalties and 156 turnovers, along with a turnover margin of minus-31, all ranked 30th in the league.

#429 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

My ex-bf (loyal Vikes fan) likes to pull my leg.  He just sent me a text that the Lions had hired Matt Millen as the new head coach.

It was a joke, of course, but given that this is the Lions we're talking about, I did check the website to be sure.

#430 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

:lol: Lion's once again forced to make the wrong hire....Jim Campbell. Get ready for another coaching change in 5 years, this guy is barely over .500 as a head coach, took Super Bowl team in the Ravens as a OC and they missed the playoffs...this guy cannot coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But with the two guys the Lions wanted flipping them the proverbial bird, they had no choice but to hire the guy that John Wooten chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation told them would be the best choice...in other words, when Lovey Smith went elsewhere, the next African American should be the Lions coach. He even said there needs to be more minority coaches in the NFL.  So, they don't get their man in Whisenhunt, they succumb to the pressure's of racial organizations and hire the totally wrong guy...but then again, who else wants the Detroit job?  This guy inherits all his accolades (which aren't that good anyhow.) He is said to help lead Peyton Manning to the Super Bowl, yet Peyton was already a superstar QB, Caldwell stumbled onto a Super Bowl team.  He took the Ravens (Super Bowl Champs) and led them to miss the playoffs and have a 29 out of 30 ranked offense...Super move Mayhew, keep hiring people due to outside pressures, what's next hire a son-in-law for an OC or DC? Oh wait.... 

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#431 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

:lol: Lion's once again forced to make the wrong hire....Jim Campbell. Get ready for another coaching change in 5 years, this guy is barely over .500 as a head coach, took Super Bowl team in the Ravens as a OC and they missed the playoffs...this guy cannot coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But with the two guys the Lions wanted flipping them the proverbial bird, they had no choice but to hire the guy that John Wooten chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation told them would be the best choice...in other words, when Lovey Smith went elsewhere, the next African American should be the Lions coach. He even said there needs to be more minority coaches in the NFL.  So, they don't get their man in Whisenhunt, they succumb to the pressure's of racial organizations and hire the totally wrong guy...but then again, who else wants the Detroit job?  This guy inherits all his accolades (which aren't that good anyhow.) He is said to help lead Peyton Manning to the Super Bowl, yet Peyton was already a superstar QB, Caldwell stumbled onto a Super Bowl team.  He took the Ravens (Super Bowl Champs) and led them to miss the playoffs and have a 29 out of 30 ranked offense...Super move Mayhew, keep hiring people due to outside pressures, what's next hire a son-in-law for an OC or DC? Oh wait.... 

I disagree that race was a player in this. I think Caldwell was the next best choice as he filled the requirements that Mayhew/Lewand wanted as the next coach. Whisenhunt was the guy they really wanted all this time. They went ahead with the interview process with a few coaches which included Caldwell, patiently waited through the playoffs until the Chargers were eliminated and the Ford's had their private plane ready to leave for San Diego... then suddenly Whis decided to coach for Tennessee :/

I'm honestly not real excited over this hiring, but I'll point out the good and the bad. To start with the bad, which everyone I've seen thus far has been falling back on, is his college record and his last season in Indianapolis. A lowly 26-63 at Wake Forest. But I don't care much about that, it was back in the 90's and for the last decade and a half he's been coaching in the NFL. His last season with the Colts which was the season Manning was out for, they went 2-14. I must also point out that this year as the Raven's OC they had the 29th ranked offense.

Now for the good which people should look at. He's regarded as an offensive mind. He spent most of the 2000s under Tony Dungy as a QB coach/OC and he's widely respected by players. He has 2 Superbowl rings as an OC, 1 with the Colts in '06 and 1 with the Ravens last year where he was credited as helping Flacco have that great year that eventually got him that massive contract. He also took the Colts to the Superbowl in his first season as their HC (and without Marvin Harrison) in '09 but lost to the Saints. He also has a lot of playoff experience. It should also be noted that as his teams have always been tops in the league in least amount of penalties, so we should see more consistency that wasn't there when Schwartz was coach.

One thing I want to point out about that awful 2011 season: I don't put as much fault on Caldwell as I do on management for the way they built that team. It's known that the starting QB gets most of the reps during practice, and when you have a QB like Peyton Manning, he got nearly all of the reps if not all of them IIRC. So when Manning was out of the season and you throw in your backups like Painter and *cough* Orlovsky (anyone remember him???) on top of an average-for-years defense, the results won't be good. Couple that with a drunk owner that wanted to clean house, it'll result in an early departure.

So I just wanted to say I don't think people should be mad about the hiring when there wasn't really any strong candidates. I personally wanted Whisenhunt, but I'm not upset about this hiring, just not really excited. I am kind of excited that Caldwell's bringing in Bill Lazor, Eagles OC, to be the Lions OC, which I think he'll be more effective than Linehan (OK, wayyyyyy more effective), considering what he did with Foles. He's also firing Cunningham and bringing in someone else I don't know, Teryl Austin. I guess he's had lots of experience, mainly with the secondary which people have desperately wanted improved, so we'll see how that goes.

#432 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Lazor is apparently going to Miami.  http://www.freep.com...-miami-dolphins

Good luck getting the Chiefs assistant HC to be our OC.  http://www.freep.com...-caldwell-staff

I'm excited for change but I'm not sure yet.  I do like that this guy supposedly works well with QBs.

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#433 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Yeah just read about that. That's what I get for believing in ESPN's lazy reporting that Lazor was going to be the Lions OC.

Colts QB Coach Clyde Christensen is also a name thrown out. Is your comment about Cully meant in a good way or a bad way? I don't know about either candidates to be honest but I think I'd side with Cully since he's under the Holmgren tree line if that still counts for anything.

One thing I'm not liking is Caldwell is bringing in Ron Prince to supposedly replace Jeremiah Washburn. That's one guy I don't want to see go from the previous staff since I felt the OL was their biggest strength for once.

#434 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

In spite of how the Chiefs finished I don't see Culley coming from there to here unless he was offered a HC job.  Ron Prince has yet to prove himself in my book.  But, it's all about chemistry I doubt we will know how the team is until we see them play again.

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#435 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

Caldwell is a better hire than Whisenhunt all day long...

#436 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:31 AM

Joe Lombardi will be the OC, per Chris Mortensen.

https://twitter.com/...629845591048192

Someone from another forum I lurk around on posted this:

May be the only time we get to say we got a Lombardi.

Some are ecstatic, most don't know much about him, like me. I do like that he was under Sean Peyton, probably the most creative offensive minded coach in the league presently, so hopefully this hire is a good hire for Stafford and the offense. I'll have to read up more about Lombardi when I get some free time.

#437 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Spent last 7 seasons working with Brees so I'll take it

#438 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Teryl Austin aims to install aggressive, multiple-front defense

http://www.mlive.com...nator_tery.html

I'm pretty happy about this. I'm not a big fan of the bend but don't break type of defense for this team and would like to see a defense that has different looks, confuses offenses, and more blitzes that creates more opportunities for turnovers. I am left wondering, however, if this means we may see a transition to a 3-4 in the future or if Austin will apply his body of work around the 4-3.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 23 January 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#439 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

This is a good hire. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#440 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm liking he hires that have been made, especially on the offensive side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users