• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Mario Lemieux- Order Of Canada

Rate this topic

So I was reading that Mario was inducted into the order of Canada yesterday and it got me to thinkin about Stevie. I want to take nothing away from Mario because I became a big fan of his later in his career but I dont know if he deserves this honor and if he does then Stevie certainly also deserves to get it. Some fans will remember that Mario refused to play for Canada MANY times in his career and played his entire career in the US. When its all said and done Stevie has more career points, more World Championship and Olympic medals, more Stanley Cups and also managed the team that just won the Gold in Vancouver.

So I was reading that Mario was inducted into the order of Canada yesterday and it got me to thinkin about Stevie. I want to take nothing away from Mario because I became a big fan of his later in his career but I dont know if he deserves this honor and if he does then Stevie certainly also deserves to get it. Some fans will remember that Mario refused to play for Canada MANY times in his career and played his entire career in the US. When its all said and done Stevie has more career points, more World Championship and Olympic medals, more Stanley Cups and also managed the team that just won the Gold in Vancouver.

Yzerman would never bow down to a british monarch.

Yzerman would never bow down to a british monarch.

As much as I want to agree with you I cant. Stevie is a proud Canadian and proud honorary American, I'm sure he would accept the honor with the class in which he's done everything in his career. As long as the Queen doesnt show him "The Big Book Of British Smiles".

As much as I want to agree with you I cant. Stevie is a proud Canadian and proud honorary American, I'm sure he would accept the honor with the class in which he's done everything in his career. As long as the Queen doesnt show him "The Big Book Of British Smiles".

Stevie is a proud American citizen now.

Lemieux was 5x the player as Yzerman ever was.

BAHhahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha!!!

I wouldnt argue with anyone who said Mario was a better offensive player but even that argument is close. As far as defensive play,face-offs and leadeship thats where it isnt close. Steve was 1000 times better than Mario in those areas.

There are three levels of the honour; Lemieux is a "Member" and by defintion, from gg.ca :

Member (C.M.)

The Member of the Order of Canada recognizes a lifetime of distinguished service in or to a particular community, group or field of activity.

Good for Mr. Lemieux. Mr. Yzerman will also receive this honour, sooner rather than later.

Lemieux is one of the 3 or 4 best hockey players of all time. Yzerman was great, but isn't a top 5 all time player.

As far as playing for Canada, Mario did that in 1987 and 2002 memorably. He was injured a lot and had cancer, which is one of the reasons he didn't play for Canada more often.

Yzerman will probably get that honor as well, but I'm not surprised that Mario got it before him, and am certainly not going to gripe about it.

I'd say Lemieux was MUCH better offensively, as already stated, but have to agree, Stevie had the edge for the other side of the game.

Being a great two way center wasn't all that important in the 80's. Hence Yzerman and Lemieux weren't considered defensive shut down centers in the 80's. Lemieux did score a bunch of shorthanded goals, though, so I wouldn't call him terrible defensively.

Yzerman's game changed with Bowman's influence and the fact that Stevie was no longer counted on to carry the team offensively. Lemieux never had to do that, because he was always counted on to lead the team statistically.

Bottom line is that Datsyuk is better defensively than Gretzky. What does that prove about who was the better player?

Agreed. If that. I mean seriously, Lemieux is 1-4 all time, Yzerman is top30-40.

As for Steve Y better defensively? Who cares? Lemieux is so much better offensively that his defense is irrelevant. The other team prayed they do not get scored on. Mario is up there with Gordie Howe. And do not forget - Yzerman was great defensively when he scored around 80 points, he was not good defensively when he was in his offensive prime.

But since this is LGW and most people are Yzerman worshipers, we are gonna get a lot of neg points.

Edited by Reds4Life

Agreed. If that. I mean seriously, Lemieux is 1-4 all time, Yzerman is top30-40.

As for Steve Y better defensively? Who cares? Lemieux is so much better offensively that his defense is irrelevant. The other team prayed they do not get scored on. Mario is up there with Gordie Howe. And do not forget - Yzerman was great defensively when he scored around 80 points, he was not good defensively when he was in his offensive prime.

But since this is LGW and most people are Yzerman worshipers, we are gonna get a lot of neg points.

Yzerman is 6th all time scoring in NHL history,one of 3 players to ever score 155 points in a season (guess who the other two are), three Stanley Cups, Pearson, Conn Smythe, Selke, and an Olympic Gold Medal. People talk about how much more Lemieux would have done without the bad back and cancer. Wonder what Yzerman would've done with a good knee for the last 15 years of his career. 30-40 seems a bit low.

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

Yzerman is 6th all time scoring in NHL history,one of 3 players to ever score 155 points in a season (guess who the other two are), three Stanley Cups, Pearson, Conn Smythe, Selke, and an Olympic Gold Medal.

Yes. But there were far better players than Steve (you know, not just forwards :P), whether you want to admit that or not. Points are not everything. Messier is second in points all-time. Is he even close to top 4 ever? No freaking way. Yzerman scored 155 points in the 80s, era with most goals per game. When he did that, he was NOT a good two way player. When he became one, his scoring took a big hit. No sane person would even consider taking Steve Yzerman over Mario Lemieux on any team. Ever.

Edited by Reds4Life

I think they're pretty even. I do believe Lemieux minus his injuries would have been the best. He was better naturally then Gretzky, but Yzerman is definitely in the top 5. But when you look at the whole picture, not just their total points, but their entire skill set, it becomes much harder.

I'd rather have Yzerman if I had a team with a lot of other players who could score, and needed more D and Leadership.

I'd rather have Lemieux if I had a team that was solid defensively and just needed someone to come in and score goals.

As for the Messier mention above, I'd never want Madonna Messier on my team. It's an insult to all leaders in the NHL that the trophy for Leadership is named after that *******.

I think they're pretty even. I do believe Lemieux minus his injuries would have been the best. He was better naturally then Gretzky, but Yzerman is definitely in the top 5. But when you look at the whole picture, not just their total points, but their entire skill set, it becomes much harder.

I'd rather have Yzerman if I had a team with a lot of other players who could score, and needed more D and Leadership.

I'd rather have Lemieux if I had a team that was solid defensively and just needed someone to come in and score goals.

As for the Messier mention above, I'd never want Madonna Messier on my team. It's an insult to all leaders in the NHL that the trophy for Leadership is named after that *******.

So a top5 player ever NEVER won a Hart trophy? And has only one Pearson (Lindsay now)? No Art Ross trophy and he is a forward? Hmm...

I guess some people on LGW will also say Lids is better than Bobby Orr. And Osgood is better than Hasek/Roy or Plante.

Put away the homer glasses and Steve Y is realistically top 30-40 player ever. When you think about what an achievement that is considering how many player have played in the NHL in last 100 years or so..there is not much else to say about that.