• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Mario Lemieux- Order Of Canada

Rate this topic

Lemieux is considered by many to be the most talented player to ever grace the game of hockey. In no way do Yzerman's intangibles outweigh the gap in offensive ability that Mario had.

I love Stevie to death, but Lemieux was a better hockey player. No question.

Yes. But there were far better players than Steve (you know, not just forwards :P), whether you want to admit that or not. Points are not everything. Messier is second in points all-time. Is he even close to top 4 ever? No freaking way. Yzerman scored 155 points in the 80s, era with most goals per game. When he did that, he was NOT a good two way player. When he became one, his scoring took a big hit. No sane person would even consider taking Steve Yzerman over Mario Lemieux on any team. Ever.

Could you quote the part of my post where I said I'd take Yzerman over Lemieux?

My point with the 155 points was that he was one of three guys to do it, the other two being Gretzky and Lemieux. Not exactly known as two way forwards either.

Of course Mario is higher all time than Stevie. He's one of the best to ever play the game.

In my post I listed Yzerman's accomplishments and meant I would rank him higher (as in closer to #1, not a higher value number) than 30-40, where you said he is.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Could you quote the part of my post where I said I'd take Yzerman over Lemieux?

I did not say that you had said you would take Steve over Mario. I just said that no sane person would even consider it (just read replies in this thread, some LGWers apparently think Steve was better or comparable).

I guess some people on LGW will also say Lids is better than Bobby Orr.

Funny you mention that. My grandpa used to love the Bruins, because of how Orr played, but he told me so often, that in today's game, Orr would be horrible. He had NO defensive ability compared to what we have now. So trying to compare Lids to Orr is hard. They were both the BEST d men of their era, but those eras are not comparable.

Funny you mention that. My grandpa used to love the Bruins, because of how Orr played, but he told me so often, that in today's game, Orr would be horrible. He had NO defensive ability compared to what we have now. So trying to compare Lids to Orr is hard. They were both the BEST d men of their era, but those eras are not comparable.

Yeah, okay...

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

LOL

Lemieux is considered by many to be the most talented player to ever grace the game of hockey. In no way do Yzerman's intangibles outweigh the gap in offensive ability that Mario had.

I love Stevie to death, but Lemieux was a better hockey player. No question.

This.

I wouldnt argue with anyone who said Mario was a better offensive player but even that argument is close.

I love Yzerman and I'm not a fan of Lemieux, but I have to disagree, in terms of offensive, it is not close.

Yzerman is definitely in the top 5.

Again, I love Yzerman, but top 5? I'd be interested in seeing your top 5...actually, your top 10 so I can see the players 6-10 that you put behind Yzerman.

Dude, there have been so many advances in hockey defensively over the years, that Orr wouldn't know how to function in today's NHL.

Hence, you have Brett Lebda.

Yeah, his dominant speed, view of the game, and handling of the puck wouldn't give him any advantages on the defensive aspect of the game.

Especially those lockout rules. Wouldn't give him an easier time with the puck either.

Bottom line is that Stevie has more points and won more Cups than Mario. I'm not saying he's better than Mario offensively but he's in the argument and was much better defensively. Also, anyone who says Yzerman or Lemieux are not among the 15 best players of all time is either insane or an idiot.

This was never meant to bash Mario, just to merely point out that I beleive Stevie deserves the Order Of Canada as much if not more.

yes... because a facebook group will help him with this. A facebook group helps everything. </sarcasm >

Im really not a huge Facebook fan but I felt like it was better than doing nothing.

Also, anyone who says Yzerman or Lemieux are not among the 15 best players of all time is either insane or an idiot.

I don't have Yzerman in my top 15 and I don't consider myself to be insane, or an idiot. Fact of the matter is, I think most would not include him in the top 15...maybe that means most are idiots....I guess that's possible.

To be honest, I have never seen him listed in the top 20 even, on any all-time list I have ever seen. Obviously, no one is right or wrong, but when the vast majority rate him lower than 20, I think it is unfair say someone is an idiot or insane for not including him in the top 15.

I have seen him at #24 on a list. Motown sports did a list a couple years ago and had him at #25 (and they are biased). For fun, the Hockey News had him at #78 back in 1998.

For reference, all these lists that I have seen all had Lemieux somewhere around #4.

I don't have Yzerman in my top 15 and I don't consider myself to be insane, or an idiot. Fact of the matter is, I think most would not include him in the top 15...maybe that means most are idiots....I guess that's possible.

To be honest, I have never seen him listed in the top 20 even, on any all-time list I have ever seen. Obviously, no one is right or wrong, but when the vast majority rate him lower than 20, I think it is unfair say someone is an idiot or insane for not including him in the top 15.

I have seen him at #24 on a list. Motown sports did a list a couple years ago and had him at #25 (and they are biased). For fun, the Hockey News had him at #78 back in 1998.

For reference, all these lists that I have seen all had Lemieux somewhere around #4.

I see your pic is the SMU logo (aka Robie Street High School) so I might have to go with idiot..just kidding. Did you ever hear the joke:

How many SMU students does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Ah f*** it, lets just drink in the dark. Again I kid, I'm sure I am biased when it comes to Stevie but I cant think of 14 players better than him.

I see your pic is the SMU logo (aka Robie Street High School) so I might have to go with idiot..just kidding. Did you ever hear the joke:

How many SMU students does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Ah f*** it, lets just drink in the dark. Again I kid, I'm sure I am biased when it comes to Stevie but I cant think of 14 players better than him.

Yes, I'm a "Robie High" grad! Haven't heard that joke, but it may be better applied to St. FX.

I'm guessing if you started making a list, you'll find it difficult to fit him in the top 15.

Yes, I'm a "Robie High" grad! Haven't heard that joke, but it may be better applied to St. FX.

I'm guessing if you started making a list, you'll find it difficult to fit him in the top 15.

It's really a subjective list, though. The top 7 or 8 are sure-fire, then it gets debatable as depending on what you look for in a hockey player kind of dictates the way a list like that would go.

Plus, I have a hard time ranking the really old-time guys like Howie Morenz, Eddie Shore, etc.

Being a great two way center wasn't all that important in the 80's. Hence Yzerman and Lemieux weren't considered defensive shut down centers in the 80's. Lemieux did score a bunch of shorthanded goals, though, so I wouldn't call him terrible defensively.

Bure scored a bunch of shorthanded goals too. What does that prove?

Yzerman was one of the league's better defensive centers for almost his entire career, including the 80s. Yzerman scored 155 points while challenging for the Selke trophy. I'm not aware of another instance where another player has scored even 135 points with a comparable defensive performance to what Yzerman displayed during the late 80s.

Bure scored a bunch of shorthanded goals too. What does that prove?

Yzerman was one of the league's better defensive centers for almost his entire career, including the 80s. Yzerman scored 155 points while challenging for the Selke trophy. I'm not aware of another instance where another player has scored even 135 points with a comparable defensive performance to what Yzerman displayed during the late 80s.

Revisionist history, ftw.