• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

Lemieux was 5x the player as Yzerman ever was.

Sorry, Sir. I have to neg you for that comment.

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Agreed. If that. I mean seriously, Lemieux is 1-4 all time, Yzerman is top30-40.

As for Steve Y better defensively? Who cares? Lemieux is so much better offensively that his defense is irrelevant. The other team prayed they do not get scored on. Mario is up there with Gordie Howe. And do not forget - Yzerman was great defensively when he scored around 80 points, he was not good defensively when he was in his offensive prime.

But since this is LGW and most people are Yzerman worshipers, we are gonna get a lot of neg points.

Yzerman is 6th all time scoring in NHL history,one of 3 players to ever score 155 points in a season (guess who the other two are), three Stanley Cups, Pearson, Conn Smythe, Selke, and an Olympic Gold Medal. People talk about how much more Lemieux would have done without the bad back and cancer. Wonder what Yzerman would've done with a good knee for the last 15 years of his career. 30-40 seems a bit low.

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#23 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yzerman is 6th all time scoring in NHL history,one of 3 players to ever score 155 points in a season (guess who the other two are), three Stanley Cups, Pearson, Conn Smythe, Selke, and an Olympic Gold Medal.

Yes. But there were far better players than Steve (you know, not just forwards :P), whether you want to admit that or not. Points are not everything. Messier is second in points all-time. Is he even close to top 4 ever? No freaking way. Yzerman scored 155 points in the 80s, era with most goals per game. When he did that, he was NOT a good two way player. When he became one, his scoring took a big hit. No sane person would even consider taking Steve Yzerman over Mario Lemieux on any team. Ever.

Edited by Reds4Life, 04 September 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#24 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

I think they're pretty even. I do believe Lemieux minus his injuries would have been the best. He was better naturally then Gretzky, but Yzerman is definitely in the top 5. But when you look at the whole picture, not just their total points, but their entire skill set, it becomes much harder.

I'd rather have Yzerman if I had a team with a lot of other players who could score, and needed more D and Leadership.

I'd rather have Lemieux if I had a team that was solid defensively and just needed someone to come in and score goals.

As for the Messier mention above, I'd never want Madonna Messier on my team. It's an insult to all leaders in the NHL that the trophy for Leadership is named after that *******.

#25 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

I think they're pretty even. I do believe Lemieux minus his injuries would have been the best. He was better naturally then Gretzky, but Yzerman is definitely in the top 5. But when you look at the whole picture, not just their total points, but their entire skill set, it becomes much harder.

I'd rather have Yzerman if I had a team with a lot of other players who could score, and needed more D and Leadership.

I'd rather have Lemieux if I had a team that was solid defensively and just needed someone to come in and score goals.

As for the Messier mention above, I'd never want Madonna Messier on my team. It's an insult to all leaders in the NHL that the trophy for Leadership is named after that *******.

So a top5 player ever NEVER won a Hart trophy? And has only one Pearson (Lindsay now)? No Art Ross trophy and he is a forward? Hmm...
I guess some people on LGW will also say Lids is better than Bobby Orr. And Osgood is better than Hasek/Roy or Plante.

Put away the homer glasses and Steve Y is realistically top 30-40 player ever. When you think about what an achievement that is considering how many player have played in the NHL in last 100 years or so..there is not much else to say about that.

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Lemieux is considered by many to be the most talented player to ever grace the game of hockey. In no way do Yzerman's intangibles outweigh the gap in offensive ability that Mario had.

I love Stevie to death, but Lemieux was a better hockey player. No question.

Posted Image

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

I wonder how many "regular joes" get submitted every year...

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Yes. But there were far better players than Steve (you know, not just forwards :P), whether you want to admit that or not. Points are not everything. Messier is second in points all-time. Is he even close to top 4 ever? No freaking way. Yzerman scored 155 points in the 80s, era with most goals per game. When he did that, he was NOT a good two way player. When he became one, his scoring took a big hit. No sane person would even consider taking Steve Yzerman over Mario Lemieux on any team. Ever.

Could you quote the part of my post where I said I'd take Yzerman over Lemieux?

My point with the 155 points was that he was one of three guys to do it, the other two being Gretzky and Lemieux. Not exactly known as two way forwards either.

Of course Mario is higher all time than Stevie. He's one of the best to ever play the game.

In my post I listed Yzerman's accomplishments and meant I would rank him higher (as in closer to #1, not a higher value number) than 30-40, where you said he is.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 05 September 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#29 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Whatever anyone's oppinion is the bottom line is they're both phenominal players.

#30 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

Lemieux was 5x the player as Yzerman ever was.

leave now or suffer the painful consequence.

or just go die
To whom much is given, much is expected

#31 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

Could you quote the part of my post where I said I'd take Yzerman over Lemieux?

I did not say that you had said you would take Steve over Mario. I just said that no sane person would even consider it (just read replies in this thread, some LGWers apparently think Steve was better or comparable).

#32 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I guess some people on LGW will also say Lids is better than Bobby Orr.

Funny you mention that. My grandpa used to love the Bruins, because of how Orr played, but he told me so often, that in today's game, Orr would be horrible. He had NO defensive ability compared to what we have now. So trying to compare Lids to Orr is hard. They were both the BEST d men of their era, but those eras are not comparable.

#33 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Funny you mention that. My grandpa used to love the Bruins, because of how Orr played, but he told me so often, that in today's game, Orr would be horrible. He had NO defensive ability compared to what we have now. So trying to compare Lids to Orr is hard. They were both the BEST d men of their era, but those eras are not comparable.

Yeah, okay...

Posted Image

#34 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

LOL

Lemieux is considered by many to be the most talented player to ever grace the game of hockey. In no way do Yzerman's intangibles outweigh the gap in offensive ability that Mario had.

I love Stevie to death, but Lemieux was a better hockey player. No question.

This.
*this space for rent*

#35 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

I wouldnt argue with anyone who said Mario was a better offensive player but even that argument is close.

I love Yzerman and I'm not a fan of Lemieux, but I have to disagree, in terms of offensive, it is not close.

Yzerman is definitely in the top 5.

Again, I love Yzerman, but top 5? I'd be interested in seeing your top 5...actually, your top 10 so I can see the players 6-10 that you put behind Yzerman.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, okay...

Dude, there have been so many advances in hockey defensively over the years, that Orr wouldn't know how to function in today's NHL.

Hence, you have Brett Lebda.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#37 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:59 AM

Dude, there have been so many advances in hockey defensively over the years, that Orr wouldn't know how to function in today's NHL.

He wouldn't know how to keep the puck out of the net?
*this space for rent*

#38 RinkRat82

RinkRat82

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:45 AM

as far as orr vs lids you cannot compare players of today with players from then game is too diffrent

#39 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hence, you have Brett Lebda.

Yeah, his dominant speed, view of the game, and handling of the puck wouldn't give him any advantages on the defensive aspect of the game.

Especially those lockout rules. Wouldn't give him an easier time with the puck either.

Posted Image

#40 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

Bottom line is that Stevie has more points and won more Cups than Mario. I'm not saying he's better than Mario offensively but he's in the argument and was much better defensively. Also, anyone who says Yzerman or Lemieux are not among the 15 best players of all time is either insane or an idiot.

This was never meant to bash Mario, just to merely point out that I beleive Stevie deserves the Order Of Canada as much if not more.