• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

1996 World Cup of Hockey

Rate this topic

Tonight, the NHL Network is supposed to show all 3 games of the 1996 World Cup of Hockey final between US and Canada.

For my money, it's the best hockey I've ever seen in my life. Both teams were loaded with Hall of Famers, and unlike the Olympics, there was tons of physicality in the series, since these were North American teams.

Just to give you an idea, Canada had the likes of Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Lindros, Stevens, Brodeur, Niedermayer, Coffey and Shanahan. United States had the likes of Chelios, LaFontaine, Hull, Modano, Leetch, Hatcher, Richter, Tkachuk, Leclair, Housley and Amonte.

Basically, I don't think there's ever been a series, aside from maybe the 1972 Summit Series, that featured a more impressive array of Hall of Famers and legends, and it was something to watch all these guys on the ice at the same time. It's sadly not talked about as often as it should.

So what are you memories of this series?

Basically, I don't think there's ever been a series, aside from maybe the 1972 Summit Series, that featured a more impressive array of Hall of Famers and legends, and it was something to watch all these guys on the ice at the same time. It's sadly not talked about as often as it should.

If you are strict about HOF players then yes. If you would consider the best players of genration then you better take a look at 87 "Challenge series" between Canada and USSR. You'll never see once again Krutov-Larionov-Makarov against Lemeaux-Greatzky-Messier (they were united on PP)...

The cool thing about the 1996 World Cup, after playing on the same line with Shanahan, Yzerman told Scotty that Shanny was the power forward they were looking for, and to get him to Detroit!

And the rest they say is history!

Watching it now, I almost forgot what a MONSTER Lindros was in his prime. The guy was out there every shift trying to punish people, and had tremendous skill on top of that. Truly scary player.

that's exactly why no one cried when people started to hit him in the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tylu3vEWwE4

it does not matter how big you are.

Edited by RusDRW

These old games remind me how the NHL needs to get rid of the trapezoid.

Agreed. Funny seeing all the clutching and grabbing. Its amazing how good these players are that they can still duck and dodge with the puck even when they're getting hooked and tackled.

Thanks for posting, this is intense.