• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
One4TheWings

Shanny says he'll always feel like a Red Wing

Rate this topic

From Twitter:

@NHLShanny: Hey @MADDOG0415, I enjoyed everywhere I played but Wing years were the best. Proud to say i'll always feel like a Red Wing. Great times.

This was in response to the question:

How would you define the Red Wing portion of your career?

Opinions? I think it's really cool to hear Shanny say that his best years were here and that he'll always feel like a Wing.

edit: I messed up the twitter character count. In 140 characters or less. Not that it's relevant to the post or anything. -shrugs-

Edited by One4TheWings

Cool of him to say. I've read similar things from a few other players who spent some of their career in Detroit.

Something about winning all those cups tends to stick with you. :cool:

I hear the organization really knows how to take care of its players too. Gotta love mike. Hes a loyal guy and treats players like family. What else could you ask for as a player?

Damn you Derek Meech.

Haha, the exact same thing came to my mind.

Thanks Shanny, you crazy Irish bastard. Do us all a favor and go to Notre Dame to mentor a young man named Riley Sheahan. The similarities between you two are uncanny, and we could really use another badass scoring machine.

Shanny exemplified the blue collar mentality of Detroit. He was a lunch pail guy. he came to work and did it all. He scored, he fought. He endeared himself quite well to the Detroit Faithful. He seemed like a throwback to old school hockey. He was the prototypical power forward.

i was surprised (and still delighted) at this at first, but then when i looked at his career i saw that he spent most of it detroit. for some reason i was thinking st. louis or new jersey. i'm glad, though, even with the ill feelings he had with bowman and babcock he thinks fondly of his time here. i certainly think fondly of him.

Shanahan was always one of my favorites. We're always debating Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc. Heck, even people like Krupp show up so frequently that this thread actually caught my attention.

We as Wings fans almost NEVER talk about Shanahan. Yet he's probably a favorite player of 98% of us. And he's a legend. WHy is it that we don't talk about him more?

Man I miss watching that guy play for the Wings.

Edited by VM1138

Might actually be my favorite Red Wing of all time.

This thread inspired me to browse the internet for a Shanny jersey to replace my weak (and much too large) Starter one from back in the day. I found one on Craigslist and right now it's in the, 'too good to be true' section - but we'll see what shakes loose.

Edited by Travis

I've heard that he will enter the Hall with a Red Wings jersey in the picture. That's cool by me.

I will never forget the "no sax before a game" interview. God, we rolled on the floor laughing then and we still do now. It's classic Shanny.