• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Quebec City getting new arena

Rate this topic

Caliwingnut: I think the Idea appearing dead was about Quebec City getting federal help this coming year for the rink. not about the rink itself.

To me it sounds like they said no because they won't get federal help, then they said they'll build it without federal help and now they are saying the idea is dead since there is no federal help.

Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami are not viable NHL cities. I would much rather see those franchises move to Quebec City, Winnipeg & Seattle.

I'm guessing you've never spent any significant amount of time in Seattle. It's NOT a hockey city. It's a football city (Seahawks/Huskies). I lived in SEA for 3 1/2 years and rarely heard hockey discussed or saw anything about hockey in the newspapers. I don't get why people always seem to mention Seattle as a good desination for an NHL franchise.

I'm guessing you've never spent any significant amount of time in Seattle. It's NOT a hockey city. It's a football city (Seahawks/Huskies). I lived in SEA for 3 1/2 years and rarely heard hockey discussed or saw anything about hockey in the newspapers. I don't get why people always seem to mention Seattle as a good desination for an NHL franchise.

I totally agree, i've never seen why people think that Seattle is some kind of hockey mecca who is so hard done by because they don't have an NHL team. The only time the Thunderbirds get fans is when they're winning, Tacoma has had a few semi-pro teams but they're gone, they had the Rockets and they moved on to greener pastures. Plain and Simple, Seattle is a football/baseball town and that's it. They don't even have a viable rink. The taxpayers are still paying off Safeco field and Qwest field.

How long would it take to complete construction? The article talks about they would start in 2015, that is 4 years from now. You think a NHL team would have to be there at least 2-3 years to establish everything - hence the comment on they could play at another local barn until then...

Edited by Rivalred

Guest CaliWingsNut

Caliwingnut: I think the Idea appearing dead was about Quebec City getting federal help this coming year for the rink. not about the rink itself.

yeah, it's why I wrote it initially, then decided I would leave it rather than edit & clarify.

However, I'm also in the camp that doesn't see the value in a franchise there, when it would be by far the NHL's smallest market in population.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Yes indeed it would be the smallest market - however if they sold out each night the franchise would do much better than what we see in much larger markets such as Phoenix, Atlanta, and Miami.

My only concern with franchises in Quebec City, and Winnipeg is what we're currently seeing in Edmonton; any "decent" UFA's wanting to play in these cities, or will players pack up, and leave once they hit 27?

That sounds great to fans, but sounds horrid to an accountant/businessman. If you've got 100% saturation, there's no where to grow. Businesses (sports or not) need to grow to survive. Other markets have more potential fans to add to the sport.

Example: If they won the cup, their parade would have to have the entire metro area show up to have 1/4 the attendance of Chicago's parade last year.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest CaliWingsNut

What kills me is this notion that a larger population = growth...That may be if it were an NFL franchise looking to re-locate to a city such as Los Angeles, but we're talking hockey here.

These teams have been there now for a a decade or more; many of the non-traditional markets continue to lose $$.

If the BOG, and Bettman want to rid themselves of these welfare cases - then a few re-locations to the Canadian cities would be a step in the right direction.

no... it's not that a larger population = growth.

It's that a larger population = more potential growth.

Again... Quebec wins Cup = 700,000 fans celebrate. Phoenix wins a Cup = millions could celebrate.

Bandwagon fans pay the same as "true" fans.

Again... Quebec wins Cup = 700,000 fans celebrate. Phoenix wins a Cup = millions could celebrate.

Bandwagon fans pay the same as "true" fans.

That's an estimation on your part. Quebec wins the Cup and almost guarantee people for miles would come and attend. That whole population is hockey crazy and just think, Chicago isn't and got that much. Maybe you could see the possibilities there.

And I mean bringing up Chicago, we all know how that went down like that (bandwagon much?). I mean talk about a city that is just craving to celebrate any type of success with a sports team winning it all. Just think about how hungry the entire province of Quebec is to see Lord Stanley in a parade? It's a rabid, obsessed type fan base there.

Edited by HankthaTank

Guest CaliWingsNut

That's an estimation on your part. Quebec wins the Cup and almost guarantee people for miles would come and attend. That whole population is hockey crazy and just think, Chicago isn't and got that much. Maybe you could see the possibilities there.

So they'll steal people from Montreal for their parade? Where exactly are they going to draw from? The 700k is a METRO population figure, not within city borders.

Edit: this is not a field of dreams situation.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

So they'll steal people from Montreal for their parade? Where exactly are they going to draw from? The 700k is a METRO population figure, not within city borders.

Edit: this is not a field of dreams situation.

Because the Nordiques only drew fans from Quebec, I forgot.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Because the Nordiques only drew fans from Quebec, I forgot.

Yeah, and I fly home to Detroit every time the wings win to spend money... *rolls eyes*

Like I said earlier... bandwagon fans still spend money.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

First, it was the questioning of the estimated cost of a new arena. Now...from Montreal Gazette :

Quebec's lobbying commissioner has launched an official investigation into the controversial Quebec City arena deal because it has reasons to believe the province's legislation was violated.

After examining the documents provided by city officials, the commissioner said in a brief statement Thursday he has "reasonable grounds" to conclude there was a breach of the lobbying law — as a result a full investigation will be conducted.

I hope it's a real arena that can seat at least 18k. Another 15k arena like the one in Winnipeg would be a terrible idea.

They are talking about 18.5K places in Québec.

Configuration in Winnipeg arena allows to add at least 3k places - so it's not that bad.

First, it was the questioning of the estimated cost of a new arena. Now...from Montreal Gazette :

There is no problem with construction of new arena in Qc, problem is the way they settle "contract" with future "owner" of Nordiques P-K Péladeau. They didn't wanted to have Bell as partner (Bell will not allow new team in Qc area - they have parts of Montreal) so only other option was/is Videotron which is owned by P-K-P.