• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Quebec City getting new arena

Rate this topic

From Brampton Guardian:

Commissioner Gary Bettman says new Quebec City arena or not, the NHL is not looking at expansion right now.

He made the comment at a media availability Saturday prior to Game 2 of the Boston-Montreal playoff series when a Quebec reporter said there is sentiment in Quebec that the NHL looks more favourably on Seattle than Quebec City when it comes to future expansion.

And Quebec City is building a new arena while Seattle isn't, the reporter noted.

"We're not considering expansion right now," Bettman replied. "We have not engaged in (an) expansion process."

There you have it; straight from the horse's...mouth.

QC is very small population wise. Now Bettmen dt say anything about relocation. Their best beat is to get someone to buy the Panthers and move them. east to east thing. I am just not sure a city with less than 800,000 in its metro area can maintain a team. hell Grand rapids has 1.4 million. WE WANT A TEAM! That would be stressful however.

I'm sure he would prefer some known hockeycrazy cities such as Las Vegas *lol* I also don't think expansion will happen soon but some teams are going to relocate. Although the Panthers have an almost forever lease wit the arena so that would require a huge buyout.

From NHL:

Commissioner Bettman said there is a building in Quebec City that could be used for a new NHL team, but mentioned there are obstacles there.

"That would cause us to have yet another team in the East and I'm not even sure how we'd deal with it," Commissioner Bettman said. "If, in fact, we get to a point where there is enough interest in enough places that it warrants consideration, then the Board of Governors may well invoke a formal expansion process and we'll look at everything."

Whaaaaat?

There's a swell video of Uncle Gary pontificating, as only he can, with the link.

Interest in enough places, like Miami. They need a hockey team.

This is the thing, and only thing that will happen to ensure that Quebec gets an NHL team back. The Panthers need to be extracted and moved up north. I don't truly know how Bettman can contemplate expansion when tehre are teams that are in the red and have got half empty arenas for most of their home games, and haven't been to the playoffs in years.

Relocate the struggling teams and expand into proven markets not exactly rocket science maybe thats why the NHL doesn't see the obvious.

I still think every commissioner should be required to at least have some knowledge or atheltic skills in order to represent the sport.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest DeGraa55

Relocate the struggling teams and expand into proven markets not exactly rocket science maybe thats why the NHL doesn't see the obvious.

I still think every commissioner should be required to at least have some knowledge or atheltic skills in order to represent the sport.

Or maybe just know how to do their job? Represent the owners and make them money??? Bettman does it well rather u like him or hate him...

I hate bettman as much as the next guy, but he does know how to get s*** done. He's a business man not a hockey man, and he does that well.

Take Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman or some of the other former greats they are now business men AND also know/played the sport I think having someone like them as comissioner would be great. How cool would it be if Gretzky were the commissioner in hockey, Jordan in the NBA or Jose Kensacco MLB ? These are guys owners and players alongside respect.

Also since 2005 hockey hasn't been as entertaining as before, that's a fact. I personally give nothing about all the money figures because i don't care as long as Detroit i- and it will as long as the best owner in all of sports is at the helm - s doing well all is fine.

Or maybe just know how to do their job? Represent the owners and make them money??? Bettman does it well rather u like him or hate him...

You reckon? The new ownership in phoenix seems pretty switched on but I reckon they won't be able to do much there. You can't just stick a hockey club anywhere you like and think it'll work. Florida is a disaster.

I agree with you about Bettman though, as much as I hate him, he's a great businessman

Guest DeGraa55

Take Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman or some of the other former greats they are now business men AND also know/played the sport I think having someone like them as comissioner would be great. How cool would it be if Gretzky were the commissioner in hockey, Jordan in the NBA or Jose Kensacco MLB ? These are guys owners and players alongside respect.Also since 2005 hockey hasn't been as entertaining as before, that's a fact. I personally give nothing about all the money figures because i don't care as long as Detroit i- and it will as long as the best owner in all of sports is at the helm - s doing well all is fine.

This is where you're getting things switche around. Fehr is there to represent the players and is biased in their favor cause he wants what's best for them. Bettmans job is to do what's best for the owners. That's who he represents.

Take Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman or some of the other former greats they are now business men AND also know/played the sport I think having someone like them as comissioner would be great. How cool would it be if Gretzky were the commissioner in hockey, Jordan in the NBA or Jose Kensacco MLB ? These are guys owners and players alongside respect. Also since 2005 hockey hasn't been as entertaining as before, that's a fact. I personally give nothing about all the money figures because i don't care as long as Detroit i- and it will as long as the best owner in all of sports is at the helm - s doing well all is fine.

I don't think there is a baseball player or owner who respects Jose Canseco. In fact you'd probably find it difficult to find a more hated player by both groups.

He's also the last person I'd want anywhere near management considering he's so broke he's resorted to taking dives in MMA fights for paydays.

Lastly, it isn't a "fact" that hockey isn't as entertaining as it has been before...that's your opinion. Bettman's job isn't to make the sport more entertaining, his job is to make the league more profitable for the owners and he's arguably been the best commissioner in NHL history.

Take Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman or some of the other former greats they are now business men AND also know/played the sport I think having someone like them as comissioner would be great. How cool would it be if Gretzky were the commissioner in hockey, Jordan in the NBA or Jose Kensacco MLB ? These are guys owners and players alongside respect.Also since 2005 hockey hasn't been as entertaining as before, that's a fact. I personally give nothing about all the money figures because i don't care as long as Detroit i- and it will as long as the best owner in all of sports is at the helm - s doing well all is fine.

Yzerman, Lemieux, etc may be working the front offices now, but they're hardly "businessmen", and they're no where near the calibre of business-savvy that Bettman is, and they never will be. They spent their lives training to play the sport, not studying the finer points of labor relations, business, law, etc from IV league schools. As a fan you're more than welcome to hate Bettman for the changes that have occurred to the game, the lockouts and so on. That is perfectly acceptable and understandable. But from a business perspective, this guy is phenomenal, and the owners of the teams (ie the guys in suits who's pockets are getting stuffed as a result of Bettman's work) resoundly agree, as he's been the recipient of nothing but extensions and raises since he first started. Yzerman and company don't have the background or the unbiased vision to do what Bettman has been doing. They wouldn't bring the type of money in that Bettman has, and consequently, the owners wouldn't hang onto these guys for very long before tossing them to the curb.

I think we should all admit Bettman is a fantastic commissioner. He does his job well. We don't like him because we don't really care about hockey as a business. Rather, we care only to the point that it is successful enough to keep the lights on. But he knows how to make money.

But like in everything from music to movies to sports to politics, whenever something becomes a product to be tailored to focus groups and maximizing profitability, it becomes more generic and less organic. So yeah, fans don't like Bettman but he does his job.

I think we should all admit Bettman is a fantastic commissioner. He does his job well. We don't like him because we don't really care about hockey as a business. Rather, we care only to the point that it is successful enough to keep the lights on. But he knows how to make money.

But like in everything from music to movies to sports to politics, whenever something becomes a product to be tailored to focus groups and maximizing profitability, it becomes more generic and less organic. So yeah, fans don't like Bettman but he does his job.

Sorry but I don't agree with that, three lockouts failed expansions and focusing on non fans instead of fans, games in Europe, destroying the ASG and now WC. Donald Fehr is great at his job just look at the MLB salary cap and the league isn't playing oversees.

Guest DeGraa55

Sorry but I don't agree with that, three lockouts failed expansions and focusing on non fans instead of fans, games in Europe, destroying the ASG and now WC. Donald Fehr is great at his job just look at the MLB salary cap and the league isn't playing oversees.

Actually they are I believe. I thought they played in Japan and/or Australia. There also ISNT A SALARAY CAP IN BASEBALL LOL.

And every sport has labor disputes. In other sports owners make more then 50% of the profit so why is it in hockey I was a 50/50 split are close to. It should be like 70/30 IMO. In favor of owners. They're the ones putting the money into and making a risk. The players have it just fine. They're equally if not more responsible for each lockout then what the owners(Bettman) is.

Edited by DeGraa55