• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Out of curiosity, what the hell is the source of this 400 million-dollar price tag for the prospective arena? The Consol Energy Center cost 3/4 of that and can hold more people than this arena would, so what about the arena is producing this massive cost?

#42 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

from the tsn article posted a few posts ago.

A top cabinet minister stated a few weeks ago there will be no federal taxpayers' money to build a new NHL-calibre arena for Quebec City until private investors show up to inject some of their own cash into the project.
That clear message came from Transport Minister Chuck Strahl, who is responsible for infrastructure spending.

"It really has to be driven by the private sector and so far that hasn't happened," Strahl said.

Edit:

You could also compare this "huge" 50,000 person rally (that's 2 nights of sales, if they paid) to the 40 times larger 2,000,000 person Chicago parade.

I still don't think they have the population to support this.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 03 October 2010 - 11:46 AM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Out of curiosity, what the hell is the source of this 400 million-dollar price tag for the prospective arena? The Consol Energy Center cost 3/4 of that and can hold more people than this arena would, so what about the arena is producing this massive cost?

It takes into account the "SMM": Standard Mob Markup. It happened with the construction done for Expo '67 and the Olympics in Montreal. No reason to say it won't happen again; it's just the pricw of doing business.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

From TSN:

The real cost of a new hockey arena in Quebec City, currently estimated at $400 million, is expected to be known only around the end of the year.

A spokesman for Quebec City's municipal government says work will begin in February to determine whether the $400-million figure cited by Mayor Regis Labeaume is accurate.

Francois Moisan says it will take between six and nine months for the evaluation to take place.

The provincial government is also studying the price tag, with officials already having noted that Labeaume's cost estimate had a margin of error of 75 per cent.

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

From TSN:

"When there's all this speculation -- most of which isn't based on anything -- I get concerned because I don't want our fans to be let on," Bettman said. "As I said, we're not planning to expand, we're not planning to relocate.

#46 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

Bettman loves losing money!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#47 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Bettman loves losing other people's money!

fixed.

#48 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Bettman loves generating a new record in profits every season!

Double fixed
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#49 donfishmaster

donfishmaster

steviesteenie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

In a surprise move, Quebec City unveiled its mascot:Attached File  croaky.jpg   10.34KB   5 downloads

and logo:Attached File  Quebeclogo.jpg   5KB   4 downloads

#50 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

If this video doesn't say "f*** YOU BETTMAN" I don't know what does.

Posted Image

#51 Vladimir316

Vladimir316

Rookie

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

In a surprise move, Quebec City unveiled its mascot:Attached File  croaky.jpg   10.34KB   5 downloads

and logo:Attached File  Quebeclogo.jpg   5KB   4 downloads

If I can make a suggestion for logo...
Posted Image
The french speaking version..Kermit la grenouille
:rolleyes:

Edited by Vladimir316, 01 February 2011 - 05:59 PM.

Red Wings:
Serie in 7: $2(0) Serie in 6: $5 (0) Serie in 5: $7(0) Serie in 4: $10(1) Kronwalled: $5(2) Homer Screening Goal: $5(3) Eurotwin combo: $5(2) The Mule Multi Goal: $5(0) Winning Cup: $15(0)

Rangers:
Serie in 7: $4(0) Serie in 6: $7(0) Serie in 5: $10(0) Serie in 4: $15(0) Save previous rounds making finals x: $0.05(143*) Save Stanley Finals x: $0.05(0) Lundqvist Shutout: $5(0) Dubinsky Goal: $2(2) Stepan Goal: $3(0) Goal any Other Rag $1(6) Prust/Avery Fight: $3(0) Winning Cup: $20(0)

TOTAL RED WINGS: $45 TOTAL RANGERS : $10 TOTAL MONEY ON THE BOARD : $55
*objective not completed!
Updated after Second Round Wings

REST IN PEACE DEREK, YOU WILL ENFORCE A LOT MORE IN THE HEAVEN HOCKEY LEAGUE!

#52 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

CBC.

TSN.

#53 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami are not viable NHL cities. I would much rather see those franchises move to Quebec City, Winnipeg & Seattle.

#54 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

If this video doesn't say "f*** YOU BETTMAN" I don't know what does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEvi2TOES0

It's too bad Bettman's ego gets in the way of common sense...And to think over the past few years the BOG has actually had talks concerning further expansion.

Before ya know it - NYI owner Charles Wang will want to dump the team due to continuing revenue losses...Las Vegas, or KC sounds like great places for relocation :rolleyes:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#55 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

http://www.winnipegf...-114901299.html

http://ca.sports.yah...rs_poll-5806581

TORONTO - Quebec City is the Canadian locale most deserving of an NHL team while both fighting and the instigator rule have a place in the game, according to a poll of the league's players.

The Quebec capital received support from 53 per cent of the 318 respondents queried by the NHL Players' Association and CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada."
Winnipeg was second at 25 per cent, followed by a second Toronto team at 16 per cent, and a Hamilton squad at five per cent in poll results announced Sunday.

Meanwhile, 98 per cent of those polled didn't want fighting abolished from the sport. And 66 per cent of players felt the instigator rule shouldn't be removed, either.

The questions were drawn up by the NHLPA and "Hockey Night in Canada." The union then circulated the questionnaire and compiled the answers before sharing results with the CBC.

The results may help buoy Quebec City, which is pushing for a new arena in the hopes of luring back the NHL. Winnipeg has a building ready and had been linked as a possible destination for the Phoenix Coyotes.

Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie earlier tried to purchase the Coyotes out of bankruptcy and move them to a refurbished Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, while some groups have expressed interest in bringing a second NHL team to Toronto.

In other matters, Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby(notes) was chosen as the player to start a new franchise with, New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik(notes) was voted both the best and fastest skater, while Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara(notes) was chosen as the player with the hardest shot.

Ron Wilson of the Toronto Maple Leafs was the coach players wanted least to play for with 24 per cent of the vote, while Pittsburgh's Dan Bylsma, at 21 per cent, was the coach players most wanted to play for.

The New York Islanders at 27 per cent were picked as the team players would least like to play on, followed by the Edmonton Oilers at 20 per cent.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

TSN.

#57 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

TSN.

quoted from article...

But then three successive developments occurred: the idea was slammed from various quarters, Quebec City said it wasn't interested, and backers of the arena project announced they would build without federal help.

The idea now appears dead.

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

That's too bad...Was hoping to see some support to build a new arena, and along with that - some potential for a struggling franchise to re-locate.

Guess it's not impossible for private funding to get involved, but it'll probably be a long shot.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#59 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

Caliwingnut: I think the Idea appearing dead was about Quebec City getting federal help this coming year for the rink. not about the rink itself.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#60 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Caliwingnut: I think the Idea appearing dead was about Quebec City getting federal help this coming year for the rink. not about the rink itself.

To me it sounds like they said no because they won't get federal help, then they said they'll build it without federal help and now they are saying the idea is dead since there is no federal help.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".